Object of the Fortnight - Discussion thread.

toe_head2001

I run out of upvotes again; serves me right to start a discussion I'm bound to want to agree with a lot of the replies.

I agree, a forced white background on each image is the best solution (if the default theme cannot be forced  for the competitions sub-forum). Thank you @toe_head2001.

49 minutes ago, toe_head2001 said:

Please make sure you're comparing the sizes before you've cast your votes.  The entries will display at a smaller size when showing the poll results, but they should be at 100% size before that.

Yes, right, my apologies for not seeing the obvious.

25 minutes ago, welshblue said:

The Hawthorns ...

I intended to watch the first half only and then switch to a local derby that would start an hour later. As it turned out, I only watched the second half of the local derby.

Xkds4Lh.png

Well, after reading all of the comments, quite a few times, is a Poll really necessary now - as the background has been set to white by @toe_head2001 ?

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

The forced white background in the Polls was meant to be a temporary solution.

However, from all the comments, it sounds like everyone prefers that solution going forward.  So, I guess we'll keep it that way.

• Like 1

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

2 minutes ago, toe_head2001 said:

However, from all the comments, it sounds like everyone prefers that solution going forward.  So, I guess we'll keep it that way.

Right, that's an easy edit to do in the rules.  I'll just change it from transparent background, to a "White Background".

30b8T8B.gif

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

2 hours ago, toe_head2001 said:

The forced white background in the Polls

That totally ruined my entry in the Geometric Pattern poll.  My entry in there changes based on the theme the user is using.  But, when you force a white background... blah!

I think I misunderstood the proposed solution.  I thought there was some way where entries with transparent backgrounds would be displayed, without modification, against a white background. That would be the best solution, because it's consistent with the way it was originally done.  If the only way to force white backgrounds is equivalent to actually making the entry backgrounds white, then I favor allowing any white, gray, or black background. If the original concept of submitting objects on transparent backgrounds must be abandoned, I see nothing more authentic about a white versus a gray background.

Let me clarify. The images themselves don't need a white background. They should continue to use a transparent background.

The forum will automatically display the images with a white background in the Polls.

• Upvote 1

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png

13 minutes ago, toe_head2001 said:

Let me clarify. The images themselves don't need a white background. They should continue to use a transparent background.

The forum will automatically display the images with a white background in the Polls.

That's what I originally thought, but then Pixey said there'd need to be a change in the rules to require a white instead of a transparent background, so I thought I'd misunderstood.

13 minutes ago, MJW said:

That's what I originally thought, but then Pixey said there'd need to be a change in the rules to require a white instead of a transparent background, so I thought I'd misunderstood.

Yes, I am confused 😜  Because of this post.  I thought it was a 'temporary' solution.

4 hours ago, toe_head2001 said:

So, if I understand correctly I don't need to change the Rules at all in the OotF thread, as the background will be made white via @toe_head2001's magic making the Poll have a white background ?

30b8T8B.gif

2 minutes ago, Pixey said:

So, if I understand correctly I don't need to change the Rules at all in the OotF thread, as the background will be made white via @toe_head2001's magic making the Poll have a white background ?

Correct.

bp-sig.png

This was a lot more work than I originally thought.  The model was a little 'borked' so I made my own interpretations.

Also left it at the saved image size.  Can't wait to see what others do.

7 hours ago, welshblue said:

Interesting idea this

I'm the guilty party (my idea). If the idea is a hit we can throw the occasional object out for coloring. I thought it would make a nice change. Instead of creating an object, you get to color one in - and everyone starts with the same model.

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, lynxster4 said:

Also left it at the saved image size.

@lynxster4 noticed that the given image is larger than the size allowed for the OootF competition. 

Perhaps @Pixey, as the host, can confirm that we not need to resize before we post, or do we?

I don't know what to make of this new twist in the competition. It'll really be my first try colouring a 3D object, so I'll decide if I like @Ego Eram Reputo or not after I post my entry  🙂

Xkds4Lh.png

9 minutes ago, Djisves said:

Perhaps @Pixey, as the host, can confirm that we not need to resize before we post, or do we?

Yes, we will need to resize the image to the allowable size @lynxster4  I just went to post mine and then realized that the image was bigger than 600 x 600 and I had to quickly change it.  I will add this to the notes in the Competition page :)  And, actually, I will resize the naughty lady too whilst I'm at it 😄

• Upvote 1

30b8T8B.gif

Thanks @Pixey.  Ignore my reply to your PM...I hadn't read this thread yet.

I'll re-size when I get home from work.

39 minutes ago, lynxster4 said:

I'll re-size when I get home from work.

Many thanks @lynxster4 no rush, as long as it's done before the Poll is fine.  Sorry about this, I should have thought of the size myself before I posted the image 😬

30b8T8B.gif

10 hours ago, welshblue said:

It seemed a dungeons and handcuffs sort of thing ...

Oh, that's glorious. I'm stealing that line 🤣

7 hours ago, Djisves said:

so I'll decide if I like @Ego Eram Reputo or not after I post my entry  🙂

and based on your decision I'll ban you, or not :mrgreen:

51 minutes ago, welshblue said:

Joking aside ... a stroke of genius of an idea for a theme.  Thoroughly enjoyable

Glad you like it Welshy. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, welshblue said:

Just to clarify - I've used textures on one entry , not solid colours  -is that allowed ?

Yes, allowed IF the texture was made in PDN.

30b8T8B.gif

I'm having a go at it too. I can see why Ozzy Osborne spend so much time with crayons! 😁

2 minutes ago, Djisves said:

I spent the weekend with a sorceress!

😁😆🤣

And what's even more worrying, is that so did I 🙀

• Upvote 1

30b8T8B.gif

I think I'm falling for her..... 🙂

• Upvote 1