How to Install Plugins ×

The Plugin Browser v2.0.0.1 (Oct 15, 2023)

toe_head2001

• BoltBait pinned this topic

Thank you Toe_head2001!

As TechnoRobbo is sadly missing from the forum (and greatly missed), toe_head has very kindly fixed the index download problem and made many other improvements based on TR's original code.
I highly recommend users to download this latest version.

• Upvote 1

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg

Many thanks Toe-head & welcome to the Horde!

This new version of the Plugin Browser is much, much faster. Do try it. It may transform how you deal with plugins in paint.net.

• Upvote 1

Thanks toe_head!  :)   It loads so much quicker now.  Looks nice, too.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

toe_head2001, thank you for the excellent thing.

I have a problem on a freshly installed windows & paint.net
Installation goes well.
when I run the plugin he wants to download new plugin index, resulting in the error:
"the index is outside the bounds of the array"

screen: puu.sh/ssSwm/fdb0a96a72.png

On 11/24/2016 at 3:48 AM, pokolo1 said:

when I run the plugin he wants to download new plugin index, resulting in the error:
"the index is outside the bounds of the array"

screen: https://puu.sh/ssSwm/fdb0a96a72.png

Thanks for reporting this. I have confirmed the issue on a Russian installation of Windows. I'll try to resolve the issue this coming weekend.

• Upvote 1

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

Version 1.1.0.1 posted.

When downloading the plugin index from the forum, The Plugin Browser was using the default text encoding of the OS. This caused an issue for non-latin locales.

The Plugin Browser now explicitly uses UTF-8 encoding when doing the download.

• Upvote 6

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png

UTF8 encoding is always the best solution.
I expected that Windows 10 to come up with this solution for Notepad utility.
But disappointment! ANSI encoding (by default) is still preferred by M$.

Thanks toe_head2001 for your very clever work!

I do like this plugin. I have one issue that might help? When there are plugins where there is no Author then that plugin is not listed when listing by Author, rather than showing a blank in the Author column (or show "Unknown"?)

Other than that, great addition to the application. Thanks very much

Hugh

2 hours ago, Panchdara said:

When there are plugins where there is no Author then that plugin is not listed when listing by Author, rather than showing a blank in the Author column (or show "Unknown"?)

I never noticed 'blank authors' were excluded. I'll have to resolve that in the next version.

What's worse is that some of my own plugins show no author. How'd that happen?! =O I'll have to update my plugin pack too. :lol:

bp-sig.png

Plugin Index has that info. If the Author field in the plugin is blank just populate it from the Index.

Many thanks ToeHead and Ego. Didn't mean to be bearer of bad news. Ego, I'm not familiar enough with PDN and it's plugins so don't fully understand your statement.

Best

Hugh

8 minutes ago, Panchdara said:

Didn't mean to be bearer of bad news.

"Bearer of bad news". Non-sense! Please report issues.

6 minutes ago, Panchdara said:

Ego, I'm not familiar enough with PDN and it's plugins so don't fully understand your statement.

Don't worry, his comment was directed at me, not you.

bp-sig.png

Sorry Hugh. My comment was more directed at Toe-Head who is working on the Plugin Browser code.

The Plugin Index (link in my signature) details the author of every plugin. As the Plugin Browser imports the Index (when allowed) we should be able to match any missing author info behind the scenes.

Beaten to the reply by Toe-Head :)

On 12/4/2016 at 9:55 AM, Panchdara said:

When there are plugins where there is no Author then that plugin is not listed when listing by Author, rather than showing a blank in the Author column (or show "Unknown"?)

Done. Version 1.1.0.2 posted.

Note to plugin authors whose plugins are listed under the "- unknown -" list item:

Please don't forget to add author info to AssemblyCompany. For example:

[assembly: AssemblyCompany("toe_head2001")]

If you're using CodeLab, then it's obvious where the author info goes...

I myself am guilty of leaving it blank in a few of my plugins. Those will be updated soon.

On 12/4/2016 at 1:15 PM, Ego Eram Reputo said:

Plugin Index has that info. If the Author field in the plugin is blank just populate it from the Index.

Unfortunately, easier said than done. There aren't that many plugins without author info anyway, so not worth the effort.

Creating an "- unknown -" list item only required adding 3 lines of code. :D

• Upvote 2

bp-sig.png

6 hours ago, toe_head2001 said:

Note to plugin authors whose plugins are listed under the "- unknown -" list item:

Please don't forget to add author info to AssemblyCompany. For example:

[assembly: AssemblyCompany("toe_head2001")]

If you're using CodeLab, then it's obvious where the author info goes...

I myself am guilty of leaving it blank in a few of my plugins. Those will be updated soon.

The evil side of me want's to post a "list of shame" :lol:

Version 1.2 posted.

This release is nice and fast. You no longer have to wait for the dialog to load; it's ready nearly instantly.

On my main computer, with about 390 effects installed, the plugin opens in ~0.33 seconds.

• Upvote 4

bp-sig.png

^^ Oh that won't do at all. What you need is a great big announcement that users will see...

Plugin Browser is much faster now!!

:D

• Upvote 1

Troublemaker here again.... Toe Head, thanks for that last update - certainly seems faster. I believe I may have "discovered" another bug undocumented product characteristic. I am playing about with Bruce Bowyer-Smyth's BLUR effects and they are not showing up in the browser. Under Effects/Blurs they are named "(GPU)...Blur". I guess the label beginning with open parenthesis "(" might be an issue? Hope not a bother.

Best, Hugh

• Upvote 1

On 1/22/2017 at 2:56 AM, Panchdara said:

I am playing about with Bruce Bowyer-Smyth's BLUR effects and they are not showing up in the browser. Under Effects/Blurs they are named "(GPU)...Blur".

Usually, a plugin will derive directly from paint.net's Effect class.

For example: MyCoolEffectPlugin -> Effect

So to identify a plugin, the Plugin Browser checks for that Effect base class.

However Bruce's GPU plugins are structured a little differently. More like this:

MyCoolEffectPlugin -> XyzClass -> AbcClass -> Effect

So that is why his plugins are not showing up in the Plugin Browser; it's not able to identify them as plugins.

Thanks for reporting the issue. Hopefully I'll have it resolved within the next few days.

• Upvote 1

bp-sig.png

Version 1.2.0.1 posted. This is fixes the issue with the Hardware Accelerated Blur plugins. Thanks for reporting the issue, @Panchdara.

Just had to use  Type.IsSubclassOf to check if they're derived from the Effect class.

• Upvote 2

bp-sig.png

Plugin Browser is a plugin. Install it like any other: Copy the unzipped *.dll to your paint.net/Effects folder & restart paint.net..