Object of the Fortnight - Discussion thread.

toe_head2001

• 2 weeks later...

I wished for a certain member be banned from the competitions and, voila, his entries have disappeared!

I feel like Bruce Almighty! Now I'm off to tackle this virus thingy...

Xkds4Lh.png

11 hours ago, Djisves said:

Now I'm off to tackle this virus thingy...

Always use your powers for good 😉

• Upvote 1

Sorry to be a party-pooper @Djisves and @LoudSilence but please read the following:

2. Your entry must be 100% made using Paint.net. Don't use another image editor. Don't use stock images/photos/textures (in full or parts thereof.)

In the OotF competitions (unlike the SOTW), no outside icons copied from another source, are allowed.  Everything must be made in paint.net :)

• Upvote 1

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

Good catch @Pixey, thank you for pointing it out.

I posted a new OotF image, all PDN (icons made by me) except for the wallpaper photo which was taken by me. I trust that is allowed. 

Xkds4Lh.png

30 minutes ago, Djisves said:

except for the wallpaper photo which was taken by me. I trust that is allowed. 

Nope, Nope, nope!  Cannot - sorry.  OotF is a very strict competition, where you have you use your own skills.

"Don't use stock images/photos/textures (in full or parts thereof.)"

You are making me work 'overtime' today 🤣

30b8T8B.gif

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

16 minutes ago, Pixey said:

"Don't use stock images/photos/textures (in full or parts thereof.)"

I would think that means stock images, stock photos and stock textures. I would also think that one can use self-made photos just like one can use self-made images and self-made textures.

Still, you're the competition host, so surely you know better. I deleted my second entry too. I don't want to cause any trouble @Pixey and I apologise for stealing your time away from PDN fun. To my defense, my self-made photo was edited with PDN  😁

Xkds4Lh.png

57 minutes ago, Djisves said:

except for the wallpaper photo which was taken by me.

You clearly said a 'photo', which is not allowed.  Of course, if you make a texture in paint.net that is fine.

It is no bother 'stealing' my time.  This is my job and I don't mind answering questions at all :) and I apologize for being such a pain pointing out the rules 😉

30b8T8B.gif

@Ladybug I have just PM'd you regarding an entry - the cat photo - and hopefully you get this before I put up the Poll.  Sorry for my lateness in alerting you 🙀

30b8T8B.gif

I enter the competitions for the fun of it and to do my two-cents' worth for the forum. However, some things bother me so much I just can't ignore them.

One such thing is that there seems to be something wrong with he forum software that counts the votes. I have just voted for the current OotF competition, the voting post says that 1 member has voted, yet I see two entries with two votes each. It seems like the forum gives some entries a head start.

Xkds4Lh.png

27 minutes ago, Djisves said:

It seems like the forum gives some entries a head start.

No one is given a head start. The number of votes each entry gets is accurate. The number of people who voted is off.

If you refresh the page, it should update that number to be accurate.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 11/7/2020 at 11:20 AM, Pixey said:

@Ladybug I have just PM'd you regarding an entry - the cat photo - and hopefully you get this before I put up the Poll.  Sorry for my lateness in alerting you 🙀

Hanging head in shame. I had read this originally but just kept going on the design of the phone and was all focused totally did a ditz move and put in the cat. Now I am guessing that if Ii created a basic shape from the photo and then did the shading and fur myself that would be ok?

• Hugs 2

Click HERE to see my Pictorium of images I have worked on.

lMbNWe.png

You were once wild here. Don't let them tame you.

~ Isadora Duncan

2 hours ago, Djisves said:

I enter the competitions for the fun of it and to do my two-cents' worth for the forum. However, some things bother me so much I just can't ignore them.

One such thing is that there seems to be something wrong with he forum software that counts the votes. I have just voted for the current OotF competition, the voting post says that 1 member has voted, yet I see two entries with two votes each. It seems like the forum gives some entries a head start.

@toe_head2001  checked it out and says "Looks like it was caching issue. So nothing to worry about; individual votes are being counted correctly."

• Upvote 1

30b8T8B.gif

24 minutes ago, Ladybug said:

Hanging head in shame. I had read this originally but just kept going on the design of the phone and was all focused totally did a ditz move and put in the cat. Now I am guessing that if Ii created a basic shape from the photo and then did the shading and fur myself that would be ok?

Absolutely no shame here at all @Ladybug it's an easy mistake to make.  You are a great sport 🥰 and it's super to have you join us in the competitions :)  Yes, you could have done the basic shading of a kitty yourself.  Your kitty looks like one I used to have (now sadly departed0 who we called Felix 🐱

30b8T8B.gif

Dear Boss of the Objects - @Pixey -

History knows examples when we were allowed to use black instead of transparent. ("Flames", to name one.) 😏 What do you think about Planet or Moon on the simple black background? Formally breaking the rule would make our entries look more expressive and authentic...

planet-examples.png

Of course, if not -- then not and no problem (and best wishes to you anyway). Just my two cents. 💜

PS. Absolutely love the topic!

Edited by Vagabondi
  • Like 2

signature.png.ebe2dec8b8faab2aa57630b352

my gallery is  here

2 hours ago, Vagabondi said:

simple black background? Formally breaking the rule would make our entries look more expressive and authentic...

Okay, let's have for a change, a black background "is allowable" in this case :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30b8T8B.gif

@Vagabondi I really like your craters on your moon entry. Have been trying to do this but no luck yet. Any pointers? Thanks.

Edited by Ladybug
Posted comment in the wrong thread.

lMbNWe.png

~ Isadora Duncan

24 minutes ago, nitenurse79 said:

@Ladybug

How did you get those rings around your recent planet entry?

Excellent work 👍

Thanks 😁. I have been learning a lot from the tutorials on here. I followed a tutorial on Gas Giants that is a pdf on here. I hope I posted the link to the tutorial correctly.

• Like 1

lMbNWe.png

~ Isadora Duncan

Are animated 'objects' acceptable?

14 hours ago, Ladybug said:

I really like your craters on your moon entry. Have been trying to do this but no luck yet. Any pointers?

1. Select your planet.

2. Add new Layer.

3. Effects > Render > Random Shape Fill (from this pack). Shape = Circles, Number and Size = up to you, Fill Color = Primary, Outline Color = None.

4. Effect > Distort > Dents (Refraction about 2-3) to slightly change their shape.

5. Gaussian Blur = 2.

6. Effects > Object > Bevel Object (Depth 2-3, uncheck "Keep original image").

7. Adjustments > Invert colors.

You can adjust their opacity (Layers properties menu) and add some form (Effects > Distort > Bulge 10-20) if necessary.

signature.png.ebe2dec8b8faab2aa57630b352

my gallery is  here