Object of the Fortnight - Discussion thread.

toe_head2001

9 minutes ago, Pixey said:

Yes, with more than 6 sides.

Hi@Pixey ,  my message (when you read it again) will, perhaps, be clearer if you remember that the singular of 'dice' is 'die'.  'A dice' is, ambiguous when used to describe this theme.

Wow! Aren't you a clever chap.

And if you had read the Rules you would see that you should not post comments in this area, which I've now re-directed to the correct place @ANONYMISS

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

12 minutes ago, Pixey said:

Wow! Aren't you a clever chap.

And if you had read the Rules you would see that you should not post comments in this area, which I've now re-directed to the correct place @ANONYMISS

Truly sorry about posting in the wrong area. I used the 'Reply' button on the OOTF page. So not that clever then. But clever enough to spot sloppy, misleading grammar, eh?

• 1 month later...

I feel very stupid. I thought I had one more week for the barrel competition. I came back from the beach today meaning to finish my entry and post it. I'm disappointed but not too much; I enjoyed working on it anyway.

Xkds4Lh.png

1 hour ago, Djisves said:

I feel very stupid.

I thought I was the only one who felt like this, more times than I wish to admit 😂  So sorry you missed the dead-line :(

• Upvote 1

30b8T8B.gif

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@LoudSilence Please read rule #1 in this competition, which is:

1. Your entry must not have a background/backdrop/scene; just the object on a transparent canvas. Shadows and reflections are fine.

You can edit your entry by going to the 3 lines, top right hand side of the editor, and replace the entry with the new one.  Many thanks :)

30b8T8B.gif

1 hour ago, welshblue said:

@Pixey ... just noticed.  You may want to revisit your reflections 😉

Argh - I see what you mean ..... something got flipped the wrong way 🙀

30b8T8B.gif

On 9/13/2020 at 6:16 PM, Pixey said:

Competition Rules:

1. Your entry must not have a background/backdrop/scene; just the object on a transparent canvas. Shadows and reflections are fine.

With 3 different forum themes, hence 3 different backgrounds, the "no background" rule is problematic. Contestants cannot know how if their entry will be viewed (and judged) like they intended, because they cannot know what theme/background each member will view their entry with.

Perhaps the rule can be changed and a plain (single colour, no gradient, no frame) background is allowed.

(Alternatively, I can be stipulated that all entries must be viewed and judged using the default forum theme, but that's not going to happen).

One more thing while I have the floor:

The entry images in the voting topic for OotF display smaller than the 600 px limit allowed. Image properties still show the original dimensions but they display smaller. (Try side by side windows of the entry and voting topics, same browser, same monitor). 

I think it's unfair for the effort put in by all members who enter, to be judged on an image that does not display like it was created. 

Yet one more (yes, back off, the mic is mine!):

On 9/13/2020 at 6:16 PM, Pixey said:

This thread is for posting competition entries only. If you're not posting an entry, please don't post here.

If you want to talk about any of the entries, or ask a question regarding the competition, you can do so in the discussion thread found here.

Hosts, please do not allow anything but an entry image per post in the entry topic. Everything else can be posted / discussed here.

Xkds4Lh.png

:arrow-up:@Djisves I will let @toe_head2001 comment on this, as he was the originator of these rules.

As for myself, when I am making an image, I use a Black and a White background layer and switch between the two, to see how my image will be viewed on a light or dark screen.

7 hours ago, Djisves said:

Hosts, please do not allow anything but an entry image per post in the entry topic. Everything else can be posted / discussed here.

But we do and zap anyone's comments if made in this area ?

• Upvote 1

30b8T8B.gif

8 hours ago, Djisves said:

I mostly agree with that, but one exception that might be made is to allow SOTW entries to state they're all PDN (i.e., no outside clip art). That matters to how I vote

• Upvote 1

I reluctantly agree with the suggestion of allowing a flat-colored background, unless there's some other way of achieving a consistent color for the background, despite the theme.  It seems to lack the purity of just having an object against transparency, but it really doesn't, since the object will, in the end, be viewed against some color, and it makes little sense to have them seen differently, just because of the viewer's theme.  (I can't tell you how much I wished I could have used a dark background for my candlestick entry).

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, MJW said:

unless there's some other way of achieving a consistent color for the background

Well, is there a way to display the Competitions sub-forum at default theme only?

I, too, prefer an object without background but how else can we overcome the theme inconsistency?

2 minutes ago, welshblue said:

constrain it to white only ?

This sounds logical and consistent.

Xkds4Lh.png

I know in the Rules we are not supposed to have Polls, but perhaps on this occasion it may be warranted? 

A.  Transparency

B.  Any color background

C.  White only background

D.  Black only background

30b8T8B.gif

4 minutes ago, welshblue said:

I think the reflection of Pixey's curved aces looks better on the Dark Theme as opposed to the default one.

I don't like to comment on entries until after the voting ends, but I think it's OK to compare one image with itself on different backgrounds. 

I agree, @Pixey's the curved Aces look much better on the dark background.

On the contrary, your "worn" cards look better on the light background because on the dark background the excellent shadow is lost.

(I'm watching the match at the Hawthorns at the moment but - just in case - I won't spoil it for anyone).

Xkds4Lh.png

19 minutes ago, Djisves said:

On the contrary, your "worn" cards look better on the light background because on the dark background the excellent shadow is lost.

The shadows are a good point. Drop shadows can be important to an image, and they'll disappear against a dark background.

Djisves asked if there's some way to force a theme on a sub-forum. Though there probably isn't, that would be the ideal solution.

The poll should include two other options, I think: 1) A black or a white background, but no other; and 2) Any shade of gray (including black and white), but no other colors.

I see two options:

-  I can use CSS on the Poll to force a white background for each entry.  EDIT:  I went ahead and made this change, since the Playing Card poll is already live.

or

- We can start allowing solid White/Black/Gray backgrounds.  We've already done this in the past.

Edited by toe_head2001
  • Upvote 1

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

10 hours ago, Djisves said:

The entry images in the voting topic for OotF display smaller than the 600 px limit allowed. Image properties still show the original dimensions but they display smaller. (Try side by side windows of the entry and voting topics, same browser, same monitor). 

I think it's unfair for the effort put in by all members who enter, to be judged on an image that does not display like it was created. 

Please make sure you're comparing the sizes before you've cast your votes.  The entries will display at a smaller size when showing the poll results, but they should be at 100% size before that.

If there's a still an issue with sizes, please take a screenshot and show us.

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

Despite the temptation of being able to use black or white backgrounds, I think that if it's possible to force all entries to show up against white backgrounds, no matter the theme, that's the best solution. It matches the original intention.

(I was the one who suggested allowing gray backgrounds for the baseball theme, but I'm not sure that was a good idea.)

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, MJW said:

Despite the temptation of being able to use black or white backgrounds, I think that if it's possible to force all entries to show up against white backgrounds, no matter the theme, that's the best solution. It matches the original intention.

I agree with MJW on this @toe_head2001