Object of the Fortnight - Discussion thread.

toe_head2001

Ok, it all depends on what @Pixey wants to allow (host's prerogative to have final say), but I do not think two loose sheets of paper qualify as a Notepad.

Should a Notebook qualify as a Notepad (the former being much larger than the latter)?

Where I come from, a Notepad fits in your shirt pocket. But of course, words definitions vary among different locales.

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

18 hours ago, Maggie said:

*pokes head out*

@Pixey I liked your entry very much-the spirals are a nice touch; how did you achieve them?

Hi @Maggie and thank you very much :)  I followed this tutorial and used a gradient, on B & W, on the rings then used Gradient Mapping  with @ReMake's presets to get a color I liked 😁

@Seerose  @welshblue and @lynxster4 I only just logged on and see that you have all changed your entries, as per @toe_head2001's suggestions - thank you very much :)

Sorry I was late on picking up on this, due to having a busy morning.  Personally, I never gave much thought to the 'size' of a notepad.  I figured something you jotted on would pass as one.  I'd say that @welshblue's entry as of now, can stay put.

• Like 1

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

2 minutes ago, welshblue said:

Someone, anyone's opinion would be most appreciated ... I'm trying to break in new glasses and my images look blurry to me.  Especially the second one.  Are they ?

They look fine to me @welshblue, but then I'm breaking in new glasses as well. I find your notepad almost photographic, really great work.

@Pixey thanks for pointing me to the tutorial and the little extra tidbits. I'm always ready to pick up new techniques.

Sorry if this is in the wrong place but it's a question about  entries.  @welshblue how do you get rotate/ zoom to maintain it's shape and definition like you have on 2 of your images ?  When I use  it the images lose definition or  distorts strangely on some settings.  Also how do you get your images so crisp ?  I'm relatively new to this but my images are never so sharp.  For example your first notebook could be a photograph.  

@BoltBait & @welshblue thank you both. I will persevere with your suggestions this coming week.

Shape3D looks very daunting but  having had an initial go, I can already see the benefits when wanting to tilt things and keep clarity.  Does it matter which 'face' to keep ?

There is also a 3D Image Object effect in the G'MIC plugin.

It can be found here: G'MIC 

After install the plugin and launching it from Paint.NET's Effects>Advanced>G'MIC-Qt you will goto G'MIC's Rendering>3D Image Object.

I used it to help in the creation this retro image:
78H.jpg

Edited by HyReZ

smileys-smiley-mit-schild-314114.gif      

FYI - just a note to say that the Poll for the Notepad Competition will go up on Sunday, as tomorrow I have to go to Orlando for a family re-union :)

• Like 1

30b8T8B.gif

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations to @welshblue and @Pixey, along with the other entrants, for the very impressive notepads. Many excellent entries, and Welshblue's winning entry was superb.

(I went to the Winner thread, but it was archived and closed to comments. Either it should be left open longer, or I need to procrastinate less. Probably the latter.)

• Like 3

6 hours ago, MJW said:

(I went to the Winner thread, but it was archived and closed to comments. Either it should be left open longer, or I need to procrastinate less. Probably the latter.)

Hmmm - sorry about that @MJW I always thought one could comment after a thread was closed.  I see this when I tried in the locked thread, but it knows I am a Mod so perhaps it only works for me?  This is what I see:

allowed-to-reply.png      ~ clicky ~

I will check with the Admins about it.  Otherwise perhaps we should leave them unlocked when they are moved to the Archive thread.

30b8T8B.gif

@Pixey  When you set up the Poll, only set the Poll to close at your specified date and time.

On the Content Tab, there is locking info on the right-hand side....don't use that.  Use the Poll Tab locking info.  :)

2 hours ago, lynxster4 said:

@Pixey  When you set up the Poll, only set the Poll to close at your specified date and time.

On the Content Tab, there is locking info on the right-hand side....don't use that.  Use the Poll Tab locking info.  :)

Thank you @lynxster4 I thought that was what I was doing, but will take extra care when I do the next one 😵

30b8T8B.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Yes - indeed - my fault sorry :(  @toe_head2001  had said, "' Compact Cassette; also known as cassette tape '  I will clarify in the notes.

30b8T8B.gif

2 hours ago, welshblue said:

there's always one awkward bar-steward  who complicates things

Also one that puts in such attention to detail to an image. Your second entry took me right back to when tapes were the way to record your own music.  No disrespect to Pixey or Vagabondi but yours jumps out as the real deal (they've both got glaring mistakes) even down to the way the case is split into 2 at the bottom. The title is highly amusing. Our younger days of lost love, tears into the pillow and life not worth living. You mister are a credit to this software

Though now that the next subject is no longer picked by the winner, it's not necessary to wait till a winner is declared, I thought the usual procedure was to begin the next OOTF after the previous one was completed, including voting.

I, myself, somewhat favor the previous procedure, because I like having the week off. For example, it allows those who want to also enter SOTW more time to work on both.

• Like 3

Sorry @MJW I wasn't thinking (probably after a few too many Pomegranate martinis on my birthday) and posted too early.  I'd been sent the next theme already picked and I automatically went ahead and posted it yesterday.  I'll take care not to do this again 🤣

What say you people - should I alter the ending date right away and make it for the 25th January to get back in sync?

(Remember, I'm probably a lot older than many of you on here.)  🤶

• Like 1

30b8T8B.gif

32 minutes ago, Pixey said:

What say you people - should I alter the ending date right away and make it for the 25th January to get back in sync?

I believe either way is okay.  The main thing, I think, is to keep the OOTF voting and the SOTW voting on different weeks; but both ways do that. Though producing a realistic rock is challenging, I don't think it should be especially time-consuming, since rocks don't have a lot of individual components.

All in all, I don't see any strong reason to not keep the current deadline.

6 minutes ago, welshblue said:

Alcohol ... it's why I stopped drinking ... I was literally losing days ... so don't feel bad @Pixey

Sadly - it's not due to alcohol - I was joking .............. it's old age.  I am getting more and more absent minded as time advances 😱

3 minutes ago, MJW said:

I believe either way is okay.  The main thing, I think, is to keep the OOTF and the SOTW voting on different weeks; but both ways do that. Though producing a realistic rock is challenging, I don't think it should be especially time consuming, since rocks don't have a lot of individual components.

All in all, I don't see any reason to not keep the current deadline.

Okay let's keep the deadline the 18th, and catch up later :)

30b8T8B.gif