lynxster4

Silk Embroidery Texture

This tutorial is available as a PDF. Click here to view or download it

Here's the next installment in my 'Sewing' series. Adapted from the PS tutorial found here.  The PS tutorial had a pre-made, pre-colored texture supplied.

I will show you how to make your own. I simplified this as much as possible. This took me over 2 months to figure everything out.

You will need these plugins:  Clouds (built-in)      Motion Blur (built-in)       Sharpen+       Dragan Effect

The Texture ----------------- we will be making this:

01_SET.png

Spoiler

1)     Open new canvas, 3520 x 2300, resolution 120

2)     Set primary color 64,64,64 (404040), secondary color 160,160,160 (A0A0A0)

3)     Render --> Clouds  360, 1.00

4)     Blurs --> Motion Blur  45.00, 160

5)     Photo --> Sharpen+  Amount 500, Radius 12, leave everything else at default

6)     Photo --> Sharpen+  Amount 500, Radius 2, leave everything else at default

7)     Artistic --> Dragan Effect  10, 0

You should see this on your canvas:

02_SET.png

😎 New transparent layer on top, change blend mode to Color Dodge

9)     Brush size 900 – Hardness 0% - Color 64,64,64, make (2) two highlight lines diagonally

You should now see this on your canvas:

03_SET.png

10)     Merge layer down and save as png

Now you have your base texture file.  To add color, open png file and add a new transparent layer on top.

Set blend mode to multiply and use the paint bucket to fill the new layer with the color of your choice. In our tutorial, we will be using color 00FFBF.

Then,  Adjustments --> Brightness/Contrast, Brightness (-15), Contrast 0.

Merge layers down and save as png.  Now you have a colored version of your texture!

Now, on to the application. I am using the PS tutorial example, which is text. This can be used on any shape as well.

Download this font:  AR Julian.           We will be making this:

04_SE.png

Spoiler

1)     Open a transparent canvas 2800 x 1920

2)     Select a shape or make some text on the transparent background; color it white

We are going to use the font AR Julian, 600pt, bold, center it on the canvas

3)     Duplicate the layer 2 times, name layers 1, 2 & 3, keeping 1 on the bottom

4)     On Layer 1, use the following:

a.     Set layer to Multiply

b.     Effects --> Object --> Inner Shadow at -60, 7, 2, .50, black

c.      Effects --> Object --> Drop Shadow at 0, -2, 0, 1, 102, black

05_SE.png

5)     On Layer 2, use the following:

b.     Effects --> Object --> Inner Shadow  at 110, 20, 9, .60, black

c.      Effects --> Object --> Bevel Object (BB’s) at 12, white, black, .55

06_SE.png

6)     On Layer 3, use the following:

b.     Effects --> Object --> Drop Shadow at 2, 0, 2, 0, 191, black

07_SE.png

7)     Open your pre-colored silk texture in PDN

a.     Select all (Ctrl+A)

b.     Copy (Ctrl+C) to the clipboard

😎     Add a new transparent layer at the bottom

a.      Make selection with Magic Wand at 69% from layer 3, invert, move back to your bottom transparent layer, then Effects, Fill, From Clipboard your chosen                          color of ‘silk’, play with the ‘placement’ controls if you wish. Name layer ‘Texture’

9)     You can also make an outline of your letters on another new transparent canvas. Use layer 3, again, as your outline guide, color 00FFBF, and make a 1px outline. Insert this new layer between layers 1 & 2.

08_SE.png

10)     You can finish up any way you prefer. I chose a blue denim texture for my background, cut out an oval and applied one of my ‘stitches’ with TR’s Paste Frame.

A couple more examples of what you can do with this technique:

09_SE.png

10_SE.png

I hoped you enjoyed this tutorial!   :)

Edited by Ego Eram Reputo
Added PDF link
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Hi Dear <3 @lynxster4! I have a few questions: (Resolution 120???

21 hours ago, lynxster4 said:

Open new canvas, 3520 x 2300, resolution 120

layers.png

21 hours ago, lynxster4 said:

Add a new transparent layer at the bottom

a.      Make selection with Magic Wand at 69% from layer 3, invert, move back to your bottom transparent layer, then Effects, Fill, From Clipboard your chosen                          color of ‘silk’, play with the ‘placement’ controls if you wish. Name layer ‘Texture’

I didn't understand from here. When I "Fill and Copy from Clipboard" then the whole page is vol color with the writing together.

What should I do?

I mean, now I've done it.

28-Januar2019sh.png

Edited by Seerose

@Seerose when you open the canvas to set the size, the Resolution is under the sizes:

res.png

• Like 1

@Seerose   Select the text only on layer 3...so the 'marching ants' are around the letters.

Then Fill from Clipboard.  The texture should only fill the letters.  Do not mirror the image. It is big enough to fill the lettering.  :)

• Like 1

Another nicely written tutorial ... you'll be opening up a haberdashery soon ... knitwear and fabric

lynxster-text.png

• Like 2

10 hours ago, welshblue said:

Another nicely written tutorial ... you'll be opening up a haberdashery soon ... knitwear and fabric

Haha...don't you know it!   :D   Is your example an imagining of your post in the 'Show Yourself, Redux' thread?   (couldn't shave your head or face for weeks; beard and hair sticking out at every angle?)   :lol:     Nicely done, I can still see the silk texture underneath all the 'hair'!   :P    P.S. I've got a nice and simple 'fur' technique that looks quite nice.  (See my Christmas wallpaper post...)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, lynxster4 said:

Is your example an imagining of your post in the 'Show Yourself, Redux' thread?

🤣

... nope an idea I had, that sadly I could turn into fruition and execute for a good result.

But there's always next time ... they say god loves a trier and they don't come more trying than me ...

7 hours ago, welshblue said:

A more refined effort

Now that looks much better than your first one.  We have a newbie sewer in the house!  :P

4 hours ago, xod said:

This is my quick try.

xod, that looks really, really good!  What did you use for the stitching around the letters?  :)

12 hours ago, xod said:

I used Jitter plugin from Pyrochild's pack.

I would have never thought of that.  Very innovative thinking!  I'll have to try that.  :)

I had fun making this today.  Many thanks for the technique @lynxster4 <3

Reindeer-art.png

That is soooo cute @Pixey  <3

Now get busy on the rest of your 'squares'...or you can't finish the quilt!  :lol: