Chrome Text with Reflections

lynxster4

1 hour ago, Seerose said:

<3 Dear @lynxster4!  where do I find  @dipstick's emap?

Hi Seerose!  The emap is under the first 'hidden contents'.  It's an image that you are going to copy to the Clipboard.  :)

• BoltBait pinned this topic

I really hate using Windows, but I had to fire up my Windows VM just to try this TUT. My old version of PDN won't run MJW's plugins.

I didn't get as good a result as you, but not too bad just the same.

eFReG2P.jpg

• Like 1

69unju0.gif

@dipstick

Mmmm....that's interesting. I'd like to see if it has anything to do with canvas size and the amount of letters.  Did you do all three at once or individually?

My settings for Texture Shader are geared for canvas size, font size and (2) letters at a time of exactly the example I posted.  All TS settings would have to change if you used different size canvas and text, I would think.

I can't really test this till tomorrow as my son has my computer disassembled.  He's installing a new mobo; my old one is taking a dump...:(

I will def look into this tomorrow.  The settings on TS need to be so precise to get a good result.  MJW wrote his plugin to 4 decimal places; that literally leaves thousands of combinations.  Believe me, I fiddled with this all day yesterday...it was time-consuming.  Thank you for the example.  I'll let you know what I find. 

Thank you @BoltBait, @Ego Eram Reputo, @dipstick and @Djisves for the rep points!!  :)

Edited by lynxster4

A fabulous tutorial @lynxster4.  You are so smart to have mastered the use of @MJW Plugins.  I've not used the smoother and object rounder before.  I really, really need to keep trying with them as ............. when one gets the right settings, one can get such lovely results :D

lynxster-tute.png

• Like 1

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

@LionsDragon  @Pixey  and @MJW ...thank you for the rep points!   <3

@Pixey your example is beautiful!  Well done!  You used a different font and it came out so...chromey!!   :D

@dipstick  see my 'Observations & Comments' that I added to the first post.  I think at this time, this is the best we can do.  I don't know how the GIMP font script works (must be pretty involved), but it spurred us on to a solution for now.  I'd be very interested to see what new mapping method MJW comes up with!  :)

Edited by lynxster4
  • Like 1

Lynx, I like your version of the chromed peace sign. It's a little twisted, but it's cool.

If MJW can successfully implement a method to map an E-map around an object, that would be great. I have a few E-maps for various reflections and color textures.   

69unju0.gif

15 minutes ago, dipstick said:

Lynx, I like your version of the chromed peace sign. It's a little twisted, but it's cool

Thanks!  That's probably because I used only 1 repetition of 100 of the Texture Smoother.  If I would have used 2, it may not be so twisted!  :lol:

But I like your emap very much...it does a respectable job to get reflected chrome...

<3 Dear @lynxster4?

I used another (map). Tried all kinds of settings but I did not manage to find the right attitude. :trophy:

Thank you so much for your effort. :cake: :coffee:

01_Februar2018.png

Edited by Seerose
  • Like 1

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

Gandhi

mae3426x.png

Well, that looks cool @Seerose!  <3  You may have forgotten to set the 'Height Map' setting to 255 on the Texture Shader step.  :)

I just realized this tutorial got pinned!  Whoever pinned it, thank you!!!!   <3 <3 <3

The method of making rounded text with the Texture Rounder is very clever and effective, but I want to mention another method that I've often used. This is from a comment I made on the Texture Scaler thread (so, not surprisingly, uses the Texture Scaler plugin).

The Don't Scale Transparent Pixels option allows the range of a height-map object to be changed without changing the height of the transparent background (which will usually be zero). Combined with Pre-Scale Heights to Entire Range and Set Transparent-Pixel Heights to Zero Before Scaling, it forces the height of transparent pixels to zero, while moving the height-map object so that the minimum height of the object pixels is zero. This can be quite useful for producing height maps by blurring shapes.

The basic idea is:

Draw white text on a black background.

Copy the image to the clipboard (after, perhaps, a one or two pixel blur to soften the edge).

Blur the image. The type and amount of burring depend on the desired result.

Use BoltBait's Paste Alpha to restore the original object shape and make the background transparent.

Run Texture Scaler with the first three options enabled. Perhaps also use a bit of feathering.

In many cases, it will be useful to use the Texture Smoother to smooth the resulting height map.

Another way:

Draw a white shape on a black background. For example, a filled rectangle.

Perhaps blur a pixel or two to soften the edge.

Duplicate the layer.

Set the top layer's Blend Mode to Multiply.

Blur the top layer. The type and amount of burring depend on the desired result.

Merge the layers.

Run Texture Scaler with the all options set, and a Feather Range of 0. (This erases the black areas)

Rerun Texture Scaler. (This rescales the non-transparent pixels.)

In many cases, it will be useful to use the Texture Smoother to smooth the resulting height map.

Another approach that seems to work well is to use the first method, but do the Texture Smoothing before doing the Paste Alpha.

There are plenty of possible variations, especially tricks to make the outer edge smoother.

For blurs, I usually use Gaussian Blurs or Motion Blurs, such as two Motion Blurs at right angles.

• Like 2

I will have to try this method @MJW   I know I'm not using your Texture Object Rounder the way you intended, but it does a nice job (along with Texture Smoother) on text! Some of the results are surprising!  :D  Also, any reason why you use white text instead of black text?

Thank you @welshblue   I look forward to your post!  :D  Thanks for the link. I'm getting quite a collection of neat maps already!

Edited by lynxster4

I really like that @welshblue!   Actually looks more like ice.  Excellent twist!   :)

Added a PDF link to the first post ( @Woodsy did all the hard work) :D