Alternative Paint.NET logos

HCGS

Following the recent conversations regarding the modernization of Paint.NET (1,2), I realized that even if the icons and the website get updated, there will be an obvious update missing: an update to the logo. This is the current logo:

image.png.1160c4259c0fcfd678fdf455c42220f0.png

It's not that bad, right? It looks actually kind of nice and easily recognizable. However, it is a bit outdated. If the icons ever get changed to something more Office-like, and if the site ever gets modernized, I feel like a small update to the logo would be beneficial.

Just as an idea/concept art, I have recreated the logo both in the Microsoft Metro/Office style and in the Google Material style.

Microsoft Metro:

image.png.cdd4c8c2e1a60335979fd3126ef14a97.png

Google Material:

image.thumb.png.ef2de5905af74872cda1945b966601b4.png

...and a comparison of the 3 logos, with a context background:

GcbP9el.png

83wKDrP.png

XtOANcp.png

(in fact, those images are quite low res. The Material one is by far my favorite and I thought that it needed to be shown in full hd... here it is.)

What do you all think?

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, welshblue said:

On that I'd question the Paralegal button.  Must be a better word to use  - the first thing that comes to mind when I see it is - not quite a solicitor

https://www.google.com/search?q=define+paralegal

Seems fine to me.

11 hours ago, welshblue said:

On that I'd question the Paralegal button.  Must be a better word to use  -

I did a lot of thinking about that. Contents of the menu are licencing, privacy & copyright. I wanted a single word which covered this quasi-legal stuff. @BoltBait nailed my intent with the link to the adjective definition.

I explained elsewhere that the demo posted was a draft. I'm happy to consider alternatives.

4 hours ago, HCGS said:

I guess you are right. There shouldn't be such a drastic difference. How's this?

image.png.253416f9a95cd6c11bbd150dbc6adfb4.png

^^ this is my favorite with Google Materials close behind. You've got quite a talent for this. I'm impressed with how you've put these alternatives together. Great job.

(addendum to my earlier comment..., which was terse because it was BC or "before coffee" ...)

I agree with EER... that one looks pretty good, although it lost all of the mountains and clouds, which are iconic for Paint.NET. And I always found it difficult to get the brush looking just right, but it looks good there.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Yes, the last one is good ...... but I like the old paint.net original better - it's no secret, I hate to change anything when it's not broken :)

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

12 hours ago, Ego Eram Reputo said:

You've got quite a talent for this. I'm impressed with how you've put these alternatives together. Great job.

Thanks a lot!

10 hours ago, Rick Brewster said:

that one looks pretty good, although it lost all of the mountains and clouds, which are iconic for Paint.NET.

I did include the mountains, albeit in more of a symbolic way - they're that slab in the bottom of the "picture". I didn't include the clouds because I wasn't sure how to. I do agree that they are quite iconic, though.

This was a quick attempt at adding them, but I'm not really sure.

image.png.dc8d36455c3b41e3dde49e77b7c73d53.png

To be honest, the only big problems I have with the current icon are the big dark shadows and lines it has, plus the shading on the brush. I tried making a version that is as similar to the original as possible, just with the problems fixed and with the new brush, that you mentioned liking:

image.thumb.png.a246c2f62dba2cf28530231b4921e761.png

And with a context background:

JVWP8qd.png

(this would look sweet on the website, eh?)

...and I think that might be the best I can do. Here's the .pdn:

logo.zip

Use as you wish! Thanks for the comments, everyone.

Edited by HCGS

The present icon is iconic and should be kept in place in perpetuity.

UIs come and go. The ghastly 'https://www.getpaint.net/' may change. And I guarantee that my last lucid thought will not be 'I wonder if that nice Mr Brewster has kept his word about not changing the.........................'

• Like 1

TV Avatar 500 x 150 DALEK 2  .png

6 hours ago, welshblue said:

I like the second one but maybe not so much blur on the bottom clouds ?

It's an icon. It's meant to be seen from far away. Small details should not be present on icons. The blur smooths out the small details. And I barely changed it - just added a bit of median, really.

3 hours ago, GillFelis said:

The present icon is iconic and should be kept in place in perpetuity.

Could you imagine if icons and logos never changed? Do you miss the original Apple logo? Or maybe the original Windows logo? 

Everyone thought Google's logo was super iconic and eternal. They changed it anyway. They modernized it. They made it suitable for every occasion. The new Google icon is already iconic, and I admire them for that.

Also... I barely changed the current one (on my last image). Just cleaned it a bit.

26 minutes ago, HCGS said:

Everyone thought Google's logo was super iconic and eternal. They changed it anyway. They modernized it. They made it suitable for every occasion. The new Google icon is already iconic, and I admire them for that.

Also... I barely changed the current one (on my last image). Just cleaned it a bit.

Golly gosh!  I disagree.

TV Avatar 500 x 150 DALEK 2  .png

Well, if we were to go back in time... here's some logo history via wayback-machine:

logo_icon.pnglogo_text.png

(circa 2006)

Logo3.png

(also circa 2006)

Logo4.png

(circa 2013 to present)

In my opinion, it has been modernized to an extent. The current logo looks nice and shouldn't need to change aside from a potentially higher resolution.

Edited by SodiumEnglish

36 minutes ago, HCGS said:

I do not like the new Google Logo!  It looks too contrived.  I'm willing to bet that most people over 50 like to keep things status quo.

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

Minor variations on @HCGS last version above. Just for fun ?

pdnlogorevisited2.png

I gave the mountains and clouds a chunkier look with a Kuwahara filter and reworked the brush tip.

• Like 1

This has got to be a competition topic right?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Ego Eram Reputo said:

This has got to be a competition topic right?

:lol: 

• Like 1