High DPI displays are becoming much more common as Windows display scaling has improved. While Paint.net does work pretty well on these displays, the in app icons look terrible. It would be great if we could get a new high resolution set of icons for all of the tools and buttons.

Yes, it would be great. It's also a huuuuuuge amount of work. I mean astronomical.

If there's a source of high-DPI stock icons similar to (or identical to) http://p.yusukekamiyamane.com/ , that would basically make this possible. Otherwise, it's gonna be awhile, as I'll have to hire someone to do the graphics.

(a short-term solution is probably to draw with nearest neighbor filtering ... I find that things like awful at 200% scaling, I prefer the sharper look of nearest neighbor rather than bilinear in this case)

We could just do it?

Fire up Inkscape and start doing them...

What... only 100-200 icons and it could be done to a repo of some sort?

Sure quality wouldn't be professional but I would imagine with enough work it would look good enough.

Actually, it looks like icons have gotten simpler. For an icon refresh in 2017/2018, I'd want to mimic Office 2016's icons. And there's a lot less fancy color gradients and stuff nowadays.

word.png

BTW, that whole ribbon area flickers when you resize the window. *facepalm* So embarrassing ...

I was thinking 200 icons over several months with couple people doing it wouldn't be that impossible... I even tried to do Paste and.... my 15 minutes of work didn't really amount to much :P

clipboard.png.9f2df3046d9fd09d639886df58ff734c.pngclipboard2.png.40c26a3f5be326af5def38726c977cb4.png

Edited by Zagna

Any way to generate a list of the 200 icons desred - specify the size required and color limit if any?

We could all pitch in and have it done inside of a month. A real team effort. You can pick the best ones Rick B)

And set some basic guidelines. For that Paste I had a 256x256px SVG with a grid set to 4px. Line width set to 8px and rounded corners. Colors I chose at semi random.

All that tracing over the bitmap. Paste was really easy since it is all straight corners without any abstract features.

I imagine that things like Cut or Print are more complex.

A template .svg could be used.

This ain't such a bad idea, but I'll be very particular about the icons ;) I will try to organize something, maybe a github repo, but it may be a bit before I have time even for that.

• Upvote 1

** How bored ... ? :P 

Icons look great and the whole site is really well done.

** I actually meant - very productive use of time

Cut and Print look 'meh' to you because the line weight is not the same as the others.

Maybe you can match them up to the others?  Scissors might look funky, though...

Other than that, I think these look great!  :)

138 so far but, couple of them will need a bunch of work. Oil Painting, Gauss Blur and Motion Blur need improvement.

And Dents, Polar Inversion, Tiled Reflection, Soften Portrait, Julia and Mandelbrot are quite tricky.

Dents is difficult to vectorize and others would probably be better just with a straight .png.

Edited by Zagna
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

What's impressive - along with all the work put into them, is the way they keep their clarity.  Edge browser goes down to 10% size and they look just as sharp as full size.

Kudos

The icon for Dents was just whatever looked the "most" appropriate from the icons I had to choose from. Don't feel like you need to replicate the existing icon :)

Also, just wanted to say these look great and I'm pretty excited about them. Zagna, would you be willing to license them for use in the actual Paint.NET app?

I think a good "next step" for this would be for me to create a little script of some kind that packages these SVGs into PNGs that the main app can load. Then you could see how it looks in the app itself without any guessing games.

And then I'll need to do some coding work so that these can be loaded at high-DPI as well. I would not be packaging these as SVGs -- they would be "compiled" down to PNGs at various resolutions. SVG (rather, vector art in general) is too CPU intensive to use directly :)

Would simple CC-BY suffice? A tiny .txt just like now with copying.txt? Or which license?

The license on the website is just because I used Hugo to parse the directory for all .svg so that I wouldn't have to manually do it.

Sorry for the late reply -- I didn't notice!

But yes, CC-BY should be fine. I'm planning to start upgrading the icons soon :)