Object of the Fortnight - Discussion thread.

toe_head2001

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting entries in the letterbox comp. In Australia we call them mailboxes. The boxes are very much like the US type but they don't have a flag so you have to go out to the mailbox & open it to see if you have mail. 

Lovely entries so far too!

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

9 minutes ago, barbieq25 said:

they don't have a flag so you have to go out to the mailbox & open it to see if you have mail

The flag in the 'up' position indicates to the mailman that you have letters inside that you want him to take to the post office. (cos you were too lazy to go...)

At least, that's what I was told.  😊

5 hours ago, barbieq25 said:

Oh really? I did not know that! We have to take our mail to the post office.

It's a rural thang. We country bumpkins have the same service in NZ.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

In the UK and Ireland they're called post boxes.

That's where you post your letters.

They are not only outside post offices but dotted around every town and city.

Letter boxes are the slot in your front door to receive mail.

Not done a pic yet. Hopefully by the weekend.🙂 

me.png             

Gosh, how different we all are! I see on the telly that people get letters dropped through a slot in their front door. Our houses are very different as are our streets. How cool to have letters dropped through your front door! 

I have to walk down the stairs, along the garden path to the mailbox to collect any letters. Not that we get many. Just some bills BUT crystal deliveries are soemtimes found in there too :D Wayyyyy too big for a slot in the door.

Hope to see your entry soon. Doubt if I will get time but you never know :D

THiGVp.png

April Jones, 2012

5 hours ago, Manc said:

I decided to make an entry at 6.15 pm.

Just my luck, computer froze.

No big deal, I will post something on me pictorium when done.

Oh no! Please do post it in your gallery. I didn't get to do any. Working in the yard today KOed me good. 

• Like 1
THiGVp.png

April Jones, 2012

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, MJW said:

Fixed color, gradient, or any old thing? I assume fixed color, but thought I'd ask.

I would say a fixed color of your choice, or a simple gradient.  No photos, or fancy stuff 😆

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

1 hour ago, Pixey said:

I would say a fixed color of your choice, or a simple gradient. 

If gradients  are allowed, I suggest that perhaps two fixed colors separated by a horizontal boundary also be allowed.  The lower color could represent a surface upon which the ice cube rests, and the upper color, a background. It could used to help emphasize the ice cube's refractive aspect. Perhaps even two gradients separated by a horizontal boundary, if we want to get really fancy.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

59 minutes ago, Pixey said:

Yes, it says that in the notes.

Don't mind me...I'm obviously having some bad days here... 🤪

5 minutes ago, lynxster4 said:

Don't mind me...I'm obviously having some bad days here

I know - I have those myself some days 😂

• Like 1

30b8T8B.gif

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

3 hours ago, Pixey said:

Yes, it says that in the notes.

It actually says a black background. I think it should be changed to a dark background. Otherwise, neither of the current entries would qualify.

If it is a dark background, it would probably be best to specify the limits: whether it can just be a flat color, a gradient, or something resembling clouds. It's sort of tricky, because both the current entries have a suggestion of clouds, but no attempt at a detailed rendering. Too much detail in the clouds might make it too much about the clouds, assuming all the attention is intended to be focused on the lightning. However, if the goal is the render both the lightning and the stormy sky, that might make sense, also.

Oops - I had it saying dark in Rule#1, but mentioned black at the beginning.  I will change that.  I will leave it as a dark background, as it's up to the entrant to decide a gradient, or whatever.  I think too many rules it gets a bit pedantic.

30b8T8B.gif

• 3 weeks later...

@Pixey  Hi.  Are we forced to use a 'black' background for the Subatomic Particle. I'd like to use a shade of gray or none at all, depending... Thanks!

Background?

Well I used black, it helps me show the intricate very fine lines (also in black). That I was able to do using my skills and a black light.:lol:

EDIT: I changed my entry to, I assume, better comply with the instructions. 🙏

Edited by Scooter

Scooter

Age is only  a number --in my case a Really BIG number, but there you have it

When the prefect paint.net image is created, I will still be wondering "How they Do that?"- sigh☺️

21 hours ago, lynxster4 said:

Hi.  Are we forced to use a 'black' background

Yes, I thought black would be best for this theme - sorry. 

As it's still early days, and there's only one entry, I'll change it to Black or A Grey Shade.

30b8T8B.gif

3 hours ago, Pixey said:

Yes, I thought black would be best for this theme - sorry. 

As it's still early days, and there's only one entry, I'll change it to Black or A Grey Shade.

As we can see Scooter knows how to follow the rules ROLF1.gif.f4a168e6637807bb5743f512bffd0014.gif  .

Seriously,  I think it is just fine to use a black or dark gray background, So Pixey has done the best and most gracious thing, ------for the rest of you wink.gif.df71e74b6a8781c918da83cc88686743.gif .

Above is meant to be:  1) funny 2) amusing 3)silly. Do Not Think It is meant to be a serious comment , so do not take it that way. 

• Haha 1

Scooter

Age is only  a number --in my case a Really BIG number, but there you have it

When the prefect paint.net image is created, I will still be wondering "How they Do that?"- sigh☺️