Forum software just upgraded to Invision Community 4.5.1, might have some bugs

• Rick Brewster changed the title to Forum software just upgraded to Invision Community 4.5.1, might have some bugs

Our Download Buttons are gone...

<- BTW, I just restored the ": after Location"

I also restored our css for code syntax highlighting

and the button for the crash log trouble shooter.

I tried restoring the download button code, but it is a mess now.  Maybe @Ego Eram Reputo can fix?

I also put our personal icons back to square instead of round.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, BoltBait said:

Our Download Buttons are gone...

On the plus side, the default buttons for attachments are now nice and big.

10 minutes ago, Reptillian said:

Can't say I'm a fan of the look of the forum now ...

It almost the same; mostly just color and spacing adjustments for consistency. Is there anything specific you don't like?

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

7 minutes ago, toe_head2001 said:

Is there anything specific you don't like?

Some threads, like the Comedy Thread have a big bar on the right hand side of the screen. There doesn't seem to be a way to hide it.

Threads used to have an "Edit" button next to the "Quote" button.  Now, you have to go to the "..." menu to edit a post.

9 minutes ago, toe_head2001 said:

On the plus side, the default buttons for attachments are now nice and big.

It almost the same; mostly just color and spacing adjustments for consistency. Is there anything specific you don't like?

Hard to specify, but the top part doesn't look so pleasing. This is what it looks like to me. Also, I would like more contrast on the gray area.

image.thumb.png.be766e6822d0f3e5aab289761d69e3f8.png

Edited by Reptillian

G'MIC Filter Developer

1 hour ago, BoltBait said:

Some threads, like the Comedy Thread have a big bar on the right hand side of the screen.

Yeah, that information pane is pretty dumb. It's just useless stats. What was Invision thinking?

Apparently you can disable it in the AdminCP. https://invisioncommunity.com/news/product-updates/45-topic-view-summary-and-more-r1191/

1 hour ago, BoltBait said:

Threads used to have an "Edit" button next to the "Quote" button.  Now, you have to go to the "..." menu to edit a post.

I saw a lot of people complaining about that on Invision's website. Hopefully, they'll revert that change.

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png

8 minutes ago, welshblue said:

image links aren't displaying the image chosen

Not sure if it's a postimage thing or something I'm not doing right ?

BBCode parsing is not available anymore.

Just copy and paste the image URL.

bp-sig.png

That's BBCode. You just need the image URL.

Here's the URL in the context of the BBCode:

[url=https://postimages.org/][img]https://i.postimg.cc/90dgjGbq/gold-4-2.png[/img][/url]

On the Postimages website, they refer to is as the Direct Link. Just copy and paste that Direct Link into the forum.

• Like 1

bp-sig.png

1. Many of the plug-in packs hosted on the forum no longer show the number of downloads?
BoltBait's and EER's do. Pyrochild's, toe_head2001's and mine do not?
I believe these packs are all hosted directly on the forum.

2. I also notice there are no spaces between the 'sig' competition entries in the voting/winners sections?
Wouldn't a one line gap between images be less visually distracting and more attractive?

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg

I find the notification that appears between posts for large time gaps and topic renames to be visual clutter.

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

12 hours ago, Red ochre said:

Many of the plug-in packs hosted on the forum no longer show the number of downloads?
BoltBait's and EER's do. Pyrochild's, toe_head2001's and mine do not?

The attachment meta info is only added if you're using the the colored download buttons. It's a forum thing. I've added a couple of buttons to your plugin pack by way of demonstration.

• Like 1

Many thanks Scott!:star:
... however, the zipped version was previously about a third the number of the installer version?🙄

I haven't tried editing that thread for years. Is it now possible for non-admin users to add buttons without BB code or html?

Ah, I see it now is, blue or grey! 😊

Perhaps the CSS shadow or blur behind the size/downloads text should be removed for readability?

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg

1 hour ago, Ego Eram Reputo said:

The attachment meta info is only added if you're using the the colored download buttons. It's a forum thing.

After the Invision update, that information displayed just fine on standard attachment buttons. It stopped displaying when you applied your fix for the Blue buttons.

If you can get it working on both, that would be good. If not, no big deal.

26 minutes ago, Red ochre said:

Perhaps the CSS shadow or blur behind the size/downloads text should be removed for readability?

I agree. I also suggest removing the gradients and reducing the box shadow on the Blue buttons. I get that you want it to stand out, but It looks old fashion.

bp-sig.png

I'm listening ;)

Functional fixes first. Then I can do beautification. I'll spend some time on the forum CSS this weekend.

• Like 1

Note to self: Home and Top of Page breadcrumbs are missing and need to be restored.

On 9/2/2020 at 4:36 PM, null54 said:

I find the notification that appears between posts for large time gaps and topic renames to be visual clutter.

I like the notifications and I find them informative. I'd like one more, if possible: A notification when the first post of a topic is edited (mostly useful for plugin topics and tutorials).

On 9/2/2020 at 3:00 PM, Red ochre said:

2. I also notice there are no spaces between the 'sig' competition entries in the voting/winners sections?
Wouldn't a one line gap between images be less visually distracting and more attractive?

I agree that the images in the competitions voting topics should be separated by a line gap. A poster can always insert a blank line between images, so perhaps the competition hosts can see to that.

BUT, I would not like like a gap to be forced between images. I can think of instances where a member would prefer to have two or more images stacked vertically without a gap between them.

EDIT:

Just now, on the Saving an enlarged image topic, I found an example where the new forum notifications can be very useful:

Spoiler

0o1OqGu.png

Edited by Djisves

Xkds4Lh.png

Today's changes:

• Restored the Top of page and Home breadcrumbs to the footer.
  • Restored the Forum Rules link (appears both above and below page content).
  • Reduced the height of the footer.
  • On 9/3/2020 at 12:00 AM, Red ochre said:

^ Fixed.
  • On 9/3/2020 at 2:22 PM, toe_head2001 said:

^ Done.

• On 9/3/2020 at 2:22 PM, toe_head2001 said:

I also suggest removing the gradients and reducing the box shadow on the Blue buttons. I get that you want it to stand out, but It looks old fashion.

^ Reduced to barely visible. I tried it without. It looked too flat.

DEMO: Download

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Now might be a good time to ask for a dark theme.

What I have seen over the past few months;

Windows adopted a dark theme

Paint.Net adopted a dark theme

Using Google Chrome UTube just adopted a dark theme this past week

The only time my screen brightens up now is when I open the forum. 

Can the forum software adopt the settings from Windows dark theme or does a whole new Dark Theme need to be created?

Thanks in advance for your attention

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

PaintNetSignature.png.6bca4e07f5d738b2436f83d0ce1b876f.png

No, you can still use Postimage thumbnails. It will just be more work:

- Paste in the URL of the thumbnail image

- Add a link to the thumbnail image that points to the full size image

In the future, I'm sure @Ego Eram Reputo will be nice enough to add a button the editor for automatic Postimage thumbnails. Or better yet, merge all three (Imgur,  NicPic, and Postimage) into one button.

bp-sig.png