How to Install Plugins ×

G'MIC (03-12-2024)

null54

3 minutes ago, lynxster4 said:

Where do you get the plugins from?

It should automatically download the filters when the plugin is first launched.

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

This is the error message I'm getting:

This application failed to start because no Qt platform could be initialized.

Re-installing the application may fix the problem.

It doesn't crash PDN or anything, it just hangs until you click the OK button. And then you are back to your original image.

• Like 1

@lynxster4 @HyReZ

That issue is fixed.

It was missing a few required DLL files.

I should have tested it in a VM before release to make sure there were not any issues.

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

Now, that is cool!

GMIC_01.png

Thanks so much for fixing it @null54!   ☺️   (Probably need a couple of hours to explore all the effects!)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• BoltBait pinned this topic
9 minutes ago, Panchdara said:

One observation as shown in the attached video

The video shows that the Paint.NET tooltip for the the effect seems to stay on the screen while the effect is running.

In my opinion, this is a very minor annoyance and I wouldn't kill yourself trying to fix it.

Just now, BoltBait said:

The video shows that the Paint.NET tooltip for the the effect seems to stay on the screen while the effect is running.

That is probably an issue with whatever method Qt uses to launch the dialog.

Since it appears that I do not have any way of passing it a parent window handle, I am not sure if Windows correctly detects that it should behave like a modal dialog in Paint.NET.

Another issue is that the dummy Paint.NET effect dialog briefly shows when the Qt dialog is closed, I do not know why that happens. 😕

PdnSig.png

Ooooooooooooo  This is awesome. Thank you so much @null54 !!

Who needs Fractalius?

masterchief-rodilius.jpg

• Like 1

It's great that you created this G'mic plugin for Paint.net. I've been using G'mic for a while and I know new comers will be amazed at it's ability when they use it. Unfortunately I can't test it on my Win7 VM with Paint.net, because it doesn't have internet enabled. The plugin won't launch G'mic, it just hangs, presumably trying to connect with internet to download filters. Obviously that won't happen.  

* Edit*  Well curiosity got the better of me, so I enabled the network adapter to run G'mic and update the filters. I've got the full 531 filters and G'mic seems to work OK. I'll have to post some filter examples when I have a chance.

Thanks null54 .

Edited by dipstick

69unju0.gif

<3 Hi @null54!

If I want to download, I get this message:
Gmic.Zip is an unusual download and could be harmful.

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

Gandhi

mae3426x.png

7 minutes ago, Seerose said:

Gmic.Zip is an unusual download and could be harmful.

What is giving you that message?

• Like 1

PdnSig.png

1 minute ago, Seerose said:

Where do I put the folders? 

In the Effects folder with the plugin.

PdnSig.png

I think at this point, there's an alternative to C# when developing filters for Paint.NET, and writing filters for this also enables other software to use the very same filters while it is arguably more maintainable as internal changes in Paint.NET probably wouldn't affect filters inside of G'MIC. I do have experience coding filters for G'MIC, and I would love to make a post describing a brief tutorial on making filter for G'MIC filter for Paint.NET along with another tutorial submitting codes to resources where G'MIC developers would push those filters. Plugin Developer seem to be limited to C# based filters, but I feel that's probably where's the right thread for it. There's the issue that a tutorial wouldn't necessarily make you a master of G'MIC filter development as you still need to understand 183+ pages documentation of G'MIC, and a lot of months of practices to develop filters, but of course I'll add that to the resource section on the tutorial.

The filters I have developed for G'MIC are Vibrato Texture, and Mod. Both are very simple to generate and understand. I could give a write-out on how they work to get people started on developing those filter. Vibrato Texture is inspired by MadJik Vibrato plugin though I wish I knew how to work with multiple channels when coding for G'MIC.

There are also some other filters that are inspired by PDN filters developer like Layer Cake, and Cascading Self-Glitch Filter.

For people who code filters, and is interested into developing filter for G'MIC, what else am I missing out on?

Edited by Reptillian

G'MIC Filter Developer

20 hours ago, null54 said:

Note that some filters may not render correctly in Paint.NET.

For example, if the filter produces an image larger than the current canvas size the image will be cropped when it is displayed by Paint.NET.

There's an additional issue of Paint.NET filters cannot work on multiple layers at once. So, multi-layer filters or configuration will not work as expected with G'MIC on other software like GIMP or Krita.

G'MIC Filter Developer

19 minutes ago, Reptillian said:

There's an additional issue of Paint.NET filters cannot work on multiple layers at once. So, multi-layer filters or configuration will not work as expected with G'MIC on other software like GIMP or Krita. 

Filters that require two layers can be used by placing the second layer on the clipboard.

PdnSig.png

1 minute ago, null54 said:

Filters that require two layers can be used by placing the second layer on the clipboard.

Surprised it can work with multiple layers in that way. However, it can't output multiple layers, right?

G'MIC Filter Developer

I have attempted to work with the Paint.NET G'MIC plugin by null54 using the 3D Image Object of the Rendering option to create a cube using a tile that I made as its surface. The softeware shows an image of the desired object, but when I click on Apply or OK, the plugin closes and no image was created.

GMIC%20workspace.jpg

Edited by HyReZ
  • Like 1