Video Tutorial - Using Remove.bg & Paint.NET to Extract Foreground from Background [New Video]

TrevorOutlaw

Credit goes to @dipstick for the remove.bg link and giving me a tip on how to work around the size limitation for masking object in Paint.NET.

In this video, I used this website, unsplash.com, which is a nice stock photo site, and have already picked a stock photo for this purpose.  I utilize this website for nearly all of my photomanipulations and using remove.bg is an awesome site to use.

Plug-in used in this video:

Alpha Mask

Alpha to Gray

Edited by TrevorOutlaw
New Video Tutorial
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, welshblue said:

I never realised I needed Switch Grey to Alpha so much

To be honest, I had no idea this was a thing until I tried to code something and inquired for help, but BoltBait had already developed it and released it.  The whole time that plug-in was in my Effects folder and I was kicking myself for not knowing I had it.  Live and learn...live and learn.

No, I didn't curse you for that comment in the orb tutorial.  To be honest, I didn't realize barbieq25 made a tutorial and I must have completely forgotten about it.

2 hours ago, Seerose said:

Thank you very much for the video.

Thank you.  @dipstick deserves ton of credit for the link to the website and giving tips on how to workaround the size limitation.

Edited by TrevorOutlaw
  • Like 1

Amazing how well remove.bg site works on people. It's a lot faster than doing it manually for sure. I dug up this little cutie and put her in front of my bike. It almost looks like she belongs there.

G2rSxbj.jpg

• Like 2

69unju0.gif

I too have total respect for the ladies, I learned that from my Mother. 

Anyway, I think that site uses some type of AI to guess the person from the background. I'm sure that with every photo uploaded, it helps it learn. Kind of like public training for lack of a better description.

• Like 1

69unju0.gif

1 hour ago, welshblue said:

I feel I should say as a father to a young daughter of 21 my comment was more one of appreciation for a pretty woman with great bone structure rather than meant to come across as inappropriate.

As a father I heard some terrible things said about my daughter when she was the physio' of the local football team from the age of 17 

A bit of banter is fine but a few times I had to walk away from people because of  the sexual remarks being made ... for their good and mine

Just had to put that out there.  I've the utmost respect for ladies of all ages

Give it up @welshblue! You can't unsay what you said! 😉

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dipstick said:

Anyway, I think that site uses some type of AI to guess the person from the background.

I think they do use AI and I could have swore they had that message on their website, but I also think they are capitalizing on a proposal that was written back in 2004 and the technology GrabCut was born.  They are also making money off people who do not want to work around the workarounds.

23 hours ago, dipstick said:

Amazing how well remove.bg site works on people

That is true, however, there were instances where I have seen the cutout inadvertently removing, say, a piece of jewel.  If the stock photo is someone in a studio with a dark background, the website is hit or miss on it.  I have also tried running it on separating car from background, and it also is hit or miss.  It works well on solid object, e.g. old fashioned camera, as long as there is a clear contrast between the foreground and background.

My suggestion would be is to find stock photo that are well lit with clear distinction between the foreground and background.

Amazing how one emoji can elicit such a response!  Relax guys, you're all good with me. Just having a little fun.  😂

• Like 1

17 hours ago, TrevorOutlaw said:

It works well on solid object, e.g. old fashioned camera, as long as there is a clear contrast between the foreground and background.

You're right, it worked well for this 69 Charger I extracted to make an animation.

file.php?id=40925

• Like 3

69unju0.gif

• 6 months later...
18 hours ago, Ilikecarsandgames said:

Sorry for the necropost, but how do I reset the qmic thing? I accidentally put dots on an image and I don't know how to remove them, I just made it worse.

If you pause the video at 16 seconds, there is an interface with how to use Extract Foreground in Q'Mic, and it says to use "Backspace" to delete last point.  To be honest, I need to redo that video because it is probably my worst tutorial and I should have uploaded a picture of the screenshot so people can use it as a reference.

• TrevorOutlaw changed the title to Video Tutorial - Using Remove.bg & Paint.NET to Extract Foreground from Background
  • TrevorOutlaw changed the title to Video Tutorial - Using Remove.bg & Paint.NET to Extract Foreground from Background [New Video]

Update: Since I deactivated the original Google account, I didn't realize that the tutorial video was gone.  So I went ahead and made a new tutorial video using two open source software, a desktop recorder and video editor.  Hopefully this tutorial will continue to help folks realize the magic of utilizing two applications using workaround.

Edited by TrevorOutlaw