Create Dispersion Effect in Paint.NET [Slight Update]

TrevorOutlaw

Fabulous tutorial Trevor! Thank you so much for sharing this technique :star:

• Upvote 1

Shattered.png

@TrevorOutlaw Thanks for showing me the basic concepts. Learned a few things with Alpha Mask and Brush Factory.

Artistic freedom used to enhance with a few other plugins. Trail and Scatter to name a few. Here's my end result.

Edited by AndrewDavid
Changed attachment to link
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

PaintNetSignature.png.6bca4e07f5d738b2436f83d0ce1b876f.png

@Ego Eram Reputo It was time I contributed something back to this fine community of PDN users.

@AndrewDavid Now, that's trippy.  I'm glad to have helped.  For some people, alpha masking is very troubling, so the technique I hope will open the door to potentials unleashed.

@LionsDragon Let see what you come up with.

Thanks for the tutorial.

Additionally,  if you want smaller and finer, sand-like dissolving particles, you can duplicate the layers with the scattering particles on, go to Effects>>Distort>>Frosted Glass and play around with the maximum and minimum scatter radius. I have gotten to use the built-in Frosted Glass effect for sand-like dissolving textures and I think, that built-in plugin needed some love and would make this technique even better.

• Like 1

@LionsDragon Nice execution.  One thing...is the woman being transformed into a tree or the tree transformed into the woman?

@Ishi I would like to see the effect in play as you described.  A picture is worth a thousand words.

Big shout out to @Ego Eram Reputo and @Woodsy for the PDF!

You're welcome Trevor (Woodsy does most of the work :) )

8 hours ago, welshblue said:

One question ... why play with bucket fill tolerances when you can add a white or black layer below the relevant colour mask layer and merge them to get your mask ?

Because I'm lazy!  :P

Seriously...I have found, purely by accident, that sometime the brush leaves a bit too much on the canvas, and I thought that by reducing it a wee bit would be quicker than having to add a black or white layer below the brush.  Efficiency is what I aim for in many of my projects.  It's the electronic technician in me, I guess.

By the way, nice job with the effect in your image.  I think if you had erased a bit of the backside, the effect would be more pronounced.

Edited by TrevorOutlaw
  • Like 1

@Seerose Very nice attempt.  Two suggestions: try not to make it obvious you used liquify the model, and where you want the dispersion effect to start, make it looks like the witch is dissolving.

@welshblue Very nice!  I especially like the crack across the face, it gives that surreal feel to it.  I agree that it would be easier in Photoshop, which is why I am patiently waiting for someone to make a plug-in as requested here

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

That is really good Vagabondi! 👍

• 3 months later...