[SOTW Discussion] Talk inside...

Sozo

• 3 months later...

Well I'll break the ice for 2023 -----HI ALL! Happy New Year! 

Did you enter the SOTW for January ?????  

Well I did and with the compitation that I have seen so far, lets just say it isn't going to be easy---------for me.  loldog.gif.ed51752a9efd714da7389a9ce9046ebc.gif

Also I want to give a big THANKS to  lynxster4  for the   Chrome Text with Reflections tutorial.

I called my attemp (#2) Fiamin' Chrome. 

Edited by Scooter
  • Haha 1

Scooter

Age is only  a number --in my case a Really BIG number, but there you have it

When the prefect paint.net image is created, I will still be wondering "How they Do that?"- sigh☺️

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/15/2023 at 11:30 PM, barbieq25 said:

Source image from Pixabay: https://pixabay.com/photos/elephant-eye-close-up-africa-1863079/

Text is Creative Text Pro using Enliven text with Dark Brass, then used Inner Shadow.

I used transparent radial gradient for the elephant eye.

I tried many different techniques & plugins but in the end, I decided to keep it simple. 

z4tjmI.png

Nice one

• 4 months later...

'Don't violate copyright laws with found images; links to source images would be courteous.'

You're fine @Disk4mat. Great job on your entries.  After I posted this topic, I realized mosaic or tesserae wasn't the most ideal plugin to use on such a small canvas! 🙄

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

@Manc  Download the zip file from MJW's plugin page. Put the DLL file into the effects folder of PDN. Restart PDN.

It will be under EFFECTS-->COLOR-->Hot Metal Glow.

• 6 months later...

I think it may also be time to take a break from the SOTW. Until further notice, as the entries have dwindled, it's down to just two of us.

It can always be started again if people begin to show interest.

Many thanks to those who have participated in the past.

• Hugs 2

@lynxster4 shame really, but that said I have noticed a lot more inactivity across the full forum, so many regular members have not logged in for a long time, but I agree if there is little interest, then there's no real purpose hosting or running it. You have done a top job doing it, let's hope it gains interest again.

Edited by DrewDale
  • Like 1

BREtKQW.png

2 hours ago, DrewDale said:

I have noticed a lot more inactivity across the full forum, so many regular members have not logged in for a long time

That's not necessarily a completely negative thing, because it can be argued:

1. As paint.net has becomes more capable with each release and the number of plugins has grown, many of the "I wish paint.net could do AAA, BBB, CCC"  type of posts that were made in the past are no longer needed.
  2. As the number of posts on the forum along the lines of "How do I do XXX, YYY, ZZZ"  grows and good answers are given, then it is more likely that people will find the solution to problems without having to ask a question.

In support of 2) it should be noted that at anyone time (measured in blocks of 30 minutes), there are typically well over 100 Guest users (right now there are 155 Guests) who are searching the forum and reading previous topics. Guest users massively outnumber logged in members (at the moment there are just 4 online).

So, IMO, the forum is doing a good job, even if the rate of new posts is lower than in the past.

There may be other factors that result in waning support for SOTW and OotF, but I suspect that the above aspects play a part.

Although I completely understand the reasons behind the cancellation of the competition, I can't help feeling very sad about it in many ways. The signature contests encouraged me to learn a lot when I was a PdN novice, and I stopped participating nearly a year ago only because it was around the time when my dad's health began to decline faster than before, so I've been mostly caregiving for him and therefore unable to do much art. This time I had however managed to finish a couple portraits and convert them into signatures I was going to share last week, but then on Thursday last week his decline got even worse and lastly passed away on Sunday morning after nearly 25 years with Parkinson's. Despite everything, I want to share here the pieces I had made, just to prove that this time I had actually managed to complete something.

SOTW-286-1st-submission.png

SOTW-286-2nd-submission.png

But I like I said above, I understand it makes no sense to keep a contest running when there's such a little participation, which nonetheless brings me down anyway.

• Hugs 3

1 hour ago, Red ochre said:

@Pixey Well done and thanks for keeping the SOTW going for so long.

Actually it has been @lynxster4 who was running the SOTW and I was doing the OOTF 😁 but, thanks anyway.

• Hugs 1

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

my condolences @Maximilian 

---------

This will be at home in the "rants" thread. After many months, I finally have time enough to play with PdN and return to the forum and I find the SOTW competition cancelled 😞 

Thank you @lynxster4 for hosting for so long and also for keeping it going, along with a few others, most notably @Pixey  👏

• Thanks 2

Xkds4Lh.png

6 hours ago, Djisves said:

SOTW competition cancelled 😞 

Not cancelled - just suspended for a while.  Hope to see you around more @Djisves and, of course @Maximilian too :)

• Hugs 1

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

So sorry to hear about your father @Maximilian.  My father also passed away from Parkinson's (geez, it's been 7 years now).

It's a very rough time for the caregiver, especially when they are nearing the end, so I know what you went through.  😢

As @Pixey said, both comps are only temporarily suspended. They are not gone forever.

Take care, Max.  🤗

• Hugs 2