How to Install Plugins ×

CodeLab v6.12 for Paint.NET 5.0.12 (Updated February 11, 2024)

CodeLab provides the best scripting environment of any image editor.  But have you ever wondered how CodeLab does what it does?

On June 26th, I will be giving a technical presentation on the inner workings of CodeLab.  The presentation will be in Provo, UT at a meeting of the  Utah County .NET User Group.

In the off chance that someone here is within driving distance of Provo, you should come check it out.  Here's your chance to heckle and insult me in person!

https://www.meetup.com/Utah-County-NET-User-Group/events/thbqmqyzjbjc/

• Like 1

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

Wow. If I lived closer, I'd go to see you.  Have someone videotape it.  😁

15 hours ago, toe_head2001 said:

On June 26th, I will be giving a technical presentation on the inner workings of CodeLab.  The presentation will be in Provo, UT at a meeting of the  Utah County .NET User Group.

In the off chance that someone here is within driving distance of Provo, you should come check it out.  Here's your chance to heckle and insult me in person!

I'd buy you a beer! Please video your presentation. I'd love to see it!

12 hours ago, BoltBait said:

I want to see film of this.  I've often wondered how CodeLab works... :D 

The film wasn't much. Tom Cruise was the wrong choice to play BoltBait IMHO. 🤣

2 hours ago, Ego Eram Reputo said:

I'd buy you a beer! Please video your presentation. I'd love to see it!

The film wasn't much. Tom Cruise was the wrong choice to play BoltBait IMHO. 🤣

🤣 Agreed! Who would you have cast as Rick Brewster and the Dwarf Horde? (Which, btw, sounds like an awesome band.)

1496930299_DraconicSig.png.8e49d04e5ce393bdcdf9f0dfb54bf1c8.png

21 hours ago, LionsDragon said:

🤣 Agreed! Who would you have cast as Rick Brewster and the Dwarf Horde? (Which, btw, sounds like an awesome band.)

Neil Patrick Harris would play Rick of course! 😃

On 6/12/2019 at 10:06 AM, BoltBait said:

Damn.  If I didn't have somewhere to be on the 25th (in Northern California), I'd drive out for that!

That would have been cool. You could have even presented part of it with me.

On 6/12/2019 at 10:06 AM, BoltBait said:

I want to see film of this.

On 6/12/2019 at 10:03 PM, lynxster4 said:

Have someone videotape it. 

On 6/12/2019 at 10:19 PM, Ego Eram Reputo said:

Please video your presentation.

No guarantees, but I should be able to record it.

I'm still figuring out what I'm going to cover in the presentation, and how nitty-gritty the technical details will be.

If you want me to talk about something specific, this is the time to request it.

Also, that Meetup page makes it look like it will last 2 hours, but it will probably only last about one hour.

• Like 1

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png

• 2 weeks later...

The presentation went well.

In addition to the normal folks at these monthly meetings, we also had one person from the Paint.NET community attend. Maybe he'll comment on what new things he learned (if anything :lol:).

Unfortunately, we didn't manage to record it, but here are the slides I used:

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1VWV8-MSkAsZB8YOZ1MI6b_tV9CLAl49YfhxekJlY33I/edit?usp=sharing

The slides only contain brief overviews. During the presentation I went into more detail and commentary. I also switched into CodeLab itself for demonstrations (and CodeLab source code) various times throughout the presentation.

bp-sig.png

1 hour ago, toe_head2001 said:

Maybe he'll comment on what new things he learned (if anything :lol:).

It certainly was an interesting presentation.

I had planned to record it, but I got distracted talking to people and only remembered that after the presentation had started. ☹️

The auto-complete information was interesting, I did not know that CodeLab stores the type information in a series of dictionaries.

I had expected the auto-complete to be Roslyn-based.

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

14 hours ago, toe_head2001 said:

Unfortunately, we didn't manage to record it, but here are the slides I used:

Nice presentation slides (as I pretend to understand it...), but where's your picture???   😜

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

After I removed all files from Temp folder, when I open CodeLab I receive these error messages:

Could not load file or assembly '0 bytes loaded from System, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' or one of its dependencies. An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format.

Could not find file 'C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Temp\ls0sg3ea.dll'.
Could not find file 'C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Temp\leb3m401.dll'.
Could not find file 'C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Temp\xuzqavj3.dll'.

Paint.net works fine.

5 hours ago, xod said:

After I removed all files from Temp folder, when I open CodeLab I receive these error messages:

If you close down Paint.NET and then re-open it, CodeLab should work again. Let us know how it goes.

I'll see about preventing that error (or handling it more gracefully) in future versions of CodeLab.

• Upvote 2

bp-sig.png

It seems like I made a big mistake erasing the files in the Temp folder. Now I get other errors:

The file 'C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Temp\msivfglx.err' already exists.
The file 'C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Temp\msivfglx.out' already exists.
Could not find file 'C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Temp\0idvvdim.dll'.

Unhandled Exception at line 0: 
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at PreviewEffectEffect.PreviewEffectEffectPlugin.OnSetRenderInfo(PropertyBasedEffectConfigToken newToken, RenderArgs dstArgs, RenderArgs srcArgs)
   at PaintDotNet.Effects.Effect`1.OnSetRenderInfo(EffectConfigToken parameters, RenderArgs dstArgs, RenderArgs srcArgs) in D:\src\pdn\src\Effects\Effect`1.cs:line 68
   at PaintDotNet.Effects.CodeLab.OnSetRenderInfo(EffectConfigToken parameters, RenderArgs dstArgs, RenderArgs srcArgs)
Could not load file or assembly '0 bytes loaded from System, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' or one of its dependencies. An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format.

I ran sfc / scannow and everything seems OK. All other programs run correctly except CodeLab.

24 minutes ago, xod said:

It seems like I made a big mistake erasing the files in the Temp folder. Now I get other errors: 

I'm not able to reproduce the issue.  Can you also post a screenshot of these errors?

bp-sig.png

Where do you see this error:

2 hours ago, xod said:

bp-sig.png