About the New subforum

In 2017, I started the topic Presets for Gradient Mapping. Now I can't remember for what reason I posted it in the subforum 'Paint.NET Tutorials - Publishing ONLY!'. I also noticed that the topics Share Your Custom Paint.NET Brushes by @Simon Brown and Color Palettes go here by @usedHONDA are in the subforum 'Paint.NET Discussion and Questions'. It seems to me that this is not the right place to place custom files.

So I have a question: is there a NEED to create in the forum Paint.NET a new subforum with the name, for example, Associated Files - Publishing ONLY! (or with a better name), where we could place custom palettes, brushes, textures, shapes, effect presets (for Gradient Mapping, Curves+, Shape 3D, etc.), etc. This subforum could have corresponding sections: Palettes, Brushes, Textures, Shapes (currently in Plugins - Publishing ONLY!), Effect Presets.

What do you think about it?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I'm all for that @ReMake.  It would be great to have all the custom files and presets in one place.  When I had the Gradient Mapping problem this past weekend, I couldn't readily find your 'Presets for Gradient Mapping' thread.  I had to use search.  If we have a list of all custom files and presets I'm sure one of us could move the threads into the new subforum.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, lynxster4 said:

When I had the Gradient Mapping problem this past weekend, I couldn't readily find your 'Presets for Gradient Mapping' thread.  I had to use search.

Yes, because the thread 'Presets for Gradient Mapping' is in the wrong place. I once searched for this thread myself via Find Content. It is for this reason that I suggested creating a new subforum.

Well, I think one of the Admins need to create a new subforum.  I'm only a Comp Host and don't have the ability. I think the new subforum should be under The 'Plugins' forum.

Then get a list ready for everything that needs to be moved.  So, what say you Admins??  🙂

If this subforum was created, then now it would be possible to move the Shapes subforum to it, my thread 'Presets for Gradient Mapping' to the Effect Presets subforum, the thread 'Color Palettes go here' to the Palettes subforum, the thread 'Share Your Custom Paint.NET Brushes' to the Brushes subforum. Later, these subforums will gradually fill up.

The Textures subforum can be left blank for now.  I am sure that some members use patterns and textures in their works and they could share these patterns and texts.

EDIT: When I said 'new subforum,  for example, Associated Files - Publishing ONLY!' I meant Forum (translation difficulties).

Edited by ReMake

@ReMake   Something like this?

PDN_Forums.png

@toe_head2001, @BoltBait, @Ego Eram Reputo is this possible?  It would be a great help in finding those custom-made files.  Thank you in advance.

• Upvote 2

Sure, it's definitely possible, and I do think it makes sense.

I know Rick plans to added custom Brushes to Paint.NET sometime the future; such a subforum would make even more sense when that happens.

As far as semantics, where do you draw the line between a Plugin and a User-File?  For some things it easy.  But is a Shape a Plugin or a User-File?

(personally, I've never considered a shape a plugin, but that's just my opinion. Feel free to disagree.)

• Upvote 1

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

All the custom made shapes in the Shapes subforum I would consider a User File, also.  You 'use' them from the Tools menu.

Effect Presets I would still consider User Files even though you have to click on the specific plugin to use them.  I think all these things should be grouped together as I outlined above.  That's why I named the category as I did.  😄

Motorola 68000 - My first foray into assembly & machine code. Those were the days!