GenesisVFX (Alpha 3 - Ready To Test)

ishani

Hello all,

[UPDATE 2019.05.18]

Alpha 3 version of GenesisVFX PDN is ready to play with.

logo_test_1.thumb.jpg.ae74bf78b5ed403264f4b3e6f1c2b255.jpg

You can download the package here : GenesisVFX.PDN.alpha3.7z (24,321,853 bytes, CRC64 F380A0C948806F39)  Link broken, please see Zip at the bottom of this page @Pixey

IMPORTANT

Currently Genesis is a 64-bit only effect and has only been tested against Paint.NET 4.1.6.

There are two different rendering back-ends to choose from, depending on how recent a CPU you have in your PC. The "AVX" option is for more modern CPUs (probably anything post-2012 is safe) and provides considerable performance improvements. The "Generic" option should run on anything.

ALPHA INSTALLATION

• Unpack the 7z somewhere

• See above about which engine to use, AVX or Generic
    • Copy the contents of \Install-<engine>\Effects into your PDN install Effects directory, eg. C:\Program Files\paint.net\Effects\
    • If this is the first time you've installed Genesis, please run the redistributable installer in \Install-<engine>\Redistributable\

• Run Paint.NET, load an image and navigate to Effects -> Render -> GenesisVFX

On the first run, you won't have any effect packs loaded. Click on the folder icon top-left to browse - go pick the \EffectLibrary directory in the place you unpacked the 7z.

click_open.png.dbf9438782701b66f3123622ef96a28a.png

You can then click on thumbnails to load effects. Click on the preview windows to set effect centres. Try loading some masks (\Examples\Masks). Try hitting Randomize up top right. Good luck!

NOTES

I've been testing it a bunch but obviously it's got quite a few moving parts, so your mileage may vary! I am really keen to hear all constructive feedback.

I need to write or video a few tutorials to get people up to speed...

alpha3.zip

• Like 1

Hi ishani & welcome to the forum 😃

I really like the look of this. It looks polished and professional. I'd be keen to do some testing for you.

To get feedback, your best bet is simply to post a usable build of the DLL here. Users will download it, try it out and offer their opinions right back in this thread.

@Ego Eram Reputo

GenesisVFX is also an 8bf plugin that can be run in PSFilterPdn.

It is available at https://www.ishani.org/projects/GenesisVFX/.

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

51 minutes ago, null54 said:

@Ego Eram Reputo

GenesisVFX is also an 8bf plugin that can be run in PSFilterPdn.

It is available at https://www.ishani.org/projects/GenesisVFX/.

It is, and does! I must thank you for your PS filter plugin, it has been really useful for testing the old versions I managed to dig up .. and I'll be using it for generating new FX to ship with this rewrite.

The whole lot will be released as source eventually too - plus I need to do an expanded blog post on my site...

2 hours ago, Ego Eram Reputo said:

It's 50Mb?

The demo CD that contains all of the presets is 50Mb, with most of that being ~35Mb of AVI files.

The Photoshop plugin is linked to further up on the page, search for "posterity" and you will find it. 😀

• Upvote 1

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

Sorry - double post 😱

I have the Genesis in the PSDfilter plugin but my start up screen looks nothing like @ishani's that he posted on Imgur 😨

Where have I gone wrong?

start-screen.png

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

To avoid confusion -

The plugin I'll be testing soon / releasing is a new thing, not the old Photoshop plugin running on PSFilterPdn.

It's a native Paint.NET plugin running a totally re-engineered effects engine. While you can use the old one, this new edition will be a much more fun experience.

@Pixey I'll get a version of it up on here soon, just tidying some things up first!

• ishani changed the title to GenesisVFX (Alpha 1 - Ready To Test)

@ishani

I just loaded Genesis VFX and it looks amazing! I just took a very quick look at some of the effects, but I will take time later in the week and use some in a few projects.

Thank you for your efforts!

Edited by HyReZ

8 hours ago, Reptillian said:

Tested w/ mask, and it just slows down to a crawl or error message shows up.

Could you let me know / send me:

* the mask you're using

* which effect you loaded

* what the error was

* your CPU details

Thanks!

EDIT: actually I think I know which one you ran into; have fixed that message pop-up for alpha-2, but loading very complex masks will slow things down, it has to do a lot more work when there are lots of small elements to analyse.

Edited by ishani

Oh....this is too much...FUN!  At first glance, there are not a lot of filters to choose from, but the controls are very easy to use.

Change color, change size, change this, change that...  Thank you @ishani for making this available for PDN.

I have lots of exploring to do.  Here's a quick render:

Genesis_01.png

And do we not recognize those dragons??   :lol:

My 2nd attempt.  I still have to figure out how to use a Mask 🙄.  Oh ........... and thank you for this chance to try out a new toy 😍

Genesis-2.png

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

This runs successfully for me on Windows 10, but on Windows 7 it crashes due to a missing font (as far as I can tell).

Spoiler

File: C:\Program Files\paint.net\Effects\GenesisVFX.dll
      Name: GenesisVFX.GenesisEffect
      Version: 1.0.0.0
      Author: Copyright © Harry Denholm 2018; Original Genesis code by Andrew Cross and Richard Wilson, 1997
      Copyright: GenesisVFX Remix for Paint.NET
      Full error message: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: File not found.
   at System.Drawing.Text.PrivateFontCollection.AddMemoryFont(IntPtr memory, Int32 length)
   at Asphalt.Controls.FontLibrary.LoadFontFromResource(String resourceName)
   at Asphalt.Controls.FontLibrary..ctor()
   at Asphalt.Controls.FontLibrary.<>c.<.cctor>b__15_0()
   at System.Lazy`1.CreateValue()
   at System.Lazy`1.LazyInitValue()
   at Asphalt.Controls.AsphaltSimpleText.Asphalt.Controls.IPropertyEvents.OnChange(Object sender, PropertyChangedEventArgs e)
   at Asphalt.Controls.AsphaltSimpleText..ctor()
   at GenesisVFX.ExplorerForm.InitializeComponent()
   at GenesisVFX.ExplorerForm..ctor()
   at GenesisVFX.GenesisEffect.CreateConfigDialog()
   at PaintDotNet.Menus.EffectMenuBase.RunEffectImpl(Type effectType) in D:\src\pdn\src\PaintDotNet\Menus\EffectMenuBase.cs:line 873

It also appears to have some HiDPI Scaling issues.

genVFX-scaling.png

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

Greetings,

I just installed the update and got this Plugin error:

File: C:\Program Files\paint.net\Effects\GenesisVFX.dll
      Name: GenesisVFX.GenesisEffect
      Version: 1.0.0.0
      Author: Copyright © Harry Denholm 2018; Original Genesis code by Andrew Cross and Richard Wilson, 1997
      Copyright: GenesisVFX Remix for Paint.NET
      Full error message: System.DllNotFoundException: Unable to load DLL 'Regenesis64.dll': A dynamic link library (DLL) initialization routine failed. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007045A)
   at regenesis.Imports.SetLoggingFn(FeedbackFn logFn)
   at GenesisVFX.ExplorerForm..ctor()
   at GenesisVFX.GenesisEffect.CreateConfigDialog()
   at PaintDotNet.Menus.EffectMenuBase.RunEffectImpl(Type effectType) in D:\src\pdn\src\PaintDotNet\Menus\EffectMenuBase.cs:line 873

I am attempting to update from Windows 10 1803 to 1809 to see if this will fix things. 

Edited by HyReZ

Thanks for your testing, all! Some things for me to look into ASAP.

If you've had problems with the plugin not initializing, you can try the version attached to this post - it should run on older CPUs too, but will be a bit slower generally. Plus, make sure you've got recent Visual Studio redistributables installed: https://aka.ms/vs/16/release/vc_redist.x64.exe

But it's curious if alpha1 worked but alpha2 didn't ..

@toe_head2001

Windows 7 might well not work, I certainly haven't tested that far back and the rendering engine is compiled against the Win 8.1 SDK :(. I'll check out the DPI scaling, looks like I need to adjust the font size choices properly (out of interest, what is your setup there?)

Regenesis64.alpha2.generic.zip

• ishani changed the title to GenesisVFX (Alpha 2 - Ready To Test)
12 minutes ago, ishani said:

(out of interest, what is your setup there?)

That screenshot was at 150% DPI on Windows 10 20H1.

I switched to HiDPI just for testing; I'm normally use 100% DPI.

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

1 minute ago, toe_head2001 said:

That screenshot was at 150% DPI on Windows 10 20H1.

I switched to HiDPI just for testing; I'm normally use 100% DPI.

Interesting, thanks. I did try switching scaling and things looked ok - I'll give it another run through and see if I can reproduce that.