GenesisVFX (Alpha 3 - Ready To Test)

ishani

I run at 125% DPI. Is it possible to make the plugin window expandable?  (like ShapeMaker plugin)

Thanks @ishani

4 hours ago, HyReZ said:

I just installed the update and got this Plugin error:

I got the same error upon installing it on my home computer. I simply rebooted my system and it started working.

5 hours ago, welshblue said:

Same error message but I'm thinking it's maybe because Intel Celeron (and pentium I think) don't support AVX

I have never owned a computer with an Intel processor. The system that crashed was running an AMD Phenom II X6.

2 hours ago, lynxster4 said:

I got the same error upon installing it on my home computer. I simply rebooted my system and it started working.

I restarted the computer after the installation and got a crash report after loading the plugin. Next I reinstalled the plugin and restarted again and got the same error message again after trying to load the plugin into PDN.

7 minutes ago, HyReZ said:

The system that crashed was running an AMD Phenom II X6.

Perhaps you already know/realized this, but the Phenom II series doesn't have AVX either.  It was wasn't added until the FX series.

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

9 hours ago, HyReZ said:

I am using an AMD Phenom II x6 and I see that it does not support AVX

Try the 'generic' alpha2 renderer I attached to a post earlier - it does not require AVX. Sorry for any confusion, an installer will sort these kind of issues out...

@HyReZI'm interested to hear what kind of performance you get with it, I might need to add another lower-res option for interactive mode, or make the full-res preview trigger less often... I'm really keen to keep the iteration time down because I think it feels more fun to play with if you get near-immediate visual feedback.

Edited by ishani
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, toe_head2001 said:

Perhaps you already know/realized this, but the Phenom II series doesn't have AVX either.  It was wasn't added until the FX series.

I have another workstation that runs an AMD Athlon 5350 that does support AVX.

I installed the Genesis VFX plugin for PDN and it runs okay.

Edited by HyReZ

10 hours ago, AndrewDavid said:

At 1360 X 768 the plugin does not fit the screen. No save or exit buttons displayed.

A re-scalable plugin window would solve the problem (l asked about it in one of the above posts).  Is this possible @ishani?  :)

I have the opposite problem. My plugin window is too small.

Resizeable UI is on the list, but probably will come after the first release. I had targeting 1920x1080 and up for the current release.

FWIW, you can click and drag any grey area on the UI to move the panel so even if it's overflowing the screen you can find the cancel/render buttons (or use ALT-F4)

5 hours ago, ishani said:

FWIW, you can click and drag any grey area on the UI to move the panel so even if it's overflowing the screen you can find the cancel/render buttons

23 hours ago, AndrewDavid said:

I can move the screen beyond the edges but the buttons still do not appear.

At least Alt-F4 allows me to close

Edited by AndrewDavid

PaintNetSignature.png.6bca4e07f5d738b2436f83d0ce1b876f.png

Alpha 3 is posted; this version comes with both the AVX (for CPUs > 2012ish) and Generic (anything else) rendering engines, both of which have also had some further optimisation.

A new interactive preview mode has been added that runs at 1/8th resolution to help keep things smooth.

The UI has been tidied up a bit and some new mask clipping options added. Hopefully the HiDPI font scaling should be fixed.

I'm going to focus on documentation / video tutorials next, and probably punt it out to the main publishing forum after that. The major bits of engineering beyond that will be resizable UI and some limited undo or checkpointing.

Thanks for those who have helped poke at it so far!

alpha_3_mask.thumb.JPG.7797417f62f9bd26b5620281dea94ec5.JPG

While I'm writing up some docs/videos, here's a simple image set to play with if you want to experiment with masking but find it a bit confusing. Load the flower into PDN, fire up Genesis and click the "Load Mask" button

load_mask.jpg.69534decbae7f5e2e217a70c2dd0692c.jpg

And then load the .TIFF file provided. You can load some effects and see how it behaves - try setting the Mask Clipping value under Output to [INNER]

clip_inner.jpg.1af34fe04cbfe629ed461a93451848e4.jpg

.. and see what you can find...

flower_example.thumb.JPG.dea7744d23ae57be1778b7ef436e1612.JPG

mask_example_flower.zip

• Like 1

@ishani  Does it have to be a .TIFF file for the mask?  Can pngs be used?  Thanks.

Just now, lynxster4 said:

@ishani  Does it have to be a .TIFF file for the mask?  Can pngs be used?  Thanks.

Yep, any of the usual image formats will be fine - BMP, PNG, JPG, GIF, etc. Just happened to knock that mask out into a TIFF ...

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, lynxster4 said:

.. I should also mention - most if not all buttons & sliders have tooltips that can help decode what's going on in lieu of full documentation. Hover over the slider labels for the tips.

You can pull a mask in from PDN, load it from a file on disk, paste it from the clipboard or turn a PDN selection into a B&W mask - those 4 buttons under the mask banner will take care of that.

@ishani Many thanks for the explanation on how to use the Mask - very useful indeed and I'm sure there is still a lot more to learn from you :star:

purl-e-flower.png

• Like 2

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

Loving this @ishani!  <3   Very interesting how the mask can be used in different ways.  

Genesis_02.png

Different layers using Genesis and added drop shadow for a finish.  :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
43 minutes ago, frontman321 said:

I was Wondering if You still Had your Old Preset collections available as I can't find my old Archived sets

@ishanihas not logged logged in for 2 years.

Fortunately, the Internet Archive saved a copy of the GenesisVFX preset collections as part of the following article: https://web.archive.org/web/20220716090858/https://www.ishani.org/projects/GenesisVFX/

• Like 1

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait