How to Install Plugins ×

HOW TO INSTALL PLUGINS/General Plugin Troubleshooting Thread

RaveN

I'm having trouble downloading Octagonal/quad reshape/matte, by evanolds.

The Original URL given

The Updated URL

(I downloaded both, I don't know if that might have caused problems?)

Here's what I'm getting but it's wrong:

screenshot.jpg

Sarkut suggested I check Utilities/Plugin Load Errors, here's a pic:

DSC06879-1.jpg

I do seem to be having trouble with one but it doesn't seem to be that one?

Generally I extract the dll files to effects, but since there was only 1 dll file, and I downloaded into the Effects folder, and didn't see the "Extract to here" option, I didn't do it this time... Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

Hi,

Would someone be kind enough to explain the correct way to install Shape 3d plugin as I am having problems with it. I have installed it but have deleted it now as each time I try to use it, Paint.net freezes. I am using Windows 7, have used it before in XP and didn't have any problems.

Installation is no different than other effects: you unzip the downloaded file (if it is zipped that is), and move or copy the *.dll file(s) into the Paint.Net/Effects folder.

Restart Paint.Net.

Look in the Effects menu under Render for the effect.

If there is a problem loading the effect you'll find and error report in PDN's Utilities menu.

Hello. I am new to PDN (I just downloaded the newest version yesterday)

So far, I really love the program and I wanted to try some of the cool-looking plugins.

I tried to download the plugin with the help of boltbait's tutorial on downloading a plugin. Unfortunately, I can only get as far as the third step in his tutorial because when I go to unzip the plugin, the Effects folder that I am trying to save the plugin in is empty.

I have Windows 7 and am the administrator (and only user) on my laptop, if that's any help.

Please help me! Paint.Net is so much fun so far and I really want to get the chance to use all of the awesome plugins.

I have installed Shape 3d into effects but when I try to use it, it still freezes the program. When I try to view the error report in Utilities it is greyed and can't be viewed.

Is there a crash log generated when PDN freezes (look on your desktop for a text file). If so post that in the Shape 3D thread.

Actually, it sounds like you have a problem with the plugin rather than the installation. Check you're using the latest version of PDN, and continue your questioning in the Shape 3D thread.

(edit)Are you using dual monitors? Read this: viewtopic.php?p=207402#p207402(/edit)

Effect plugins can be found in the Effects or Adjustments menu. They might be in a submenu, like Effects -> Render. Usually, the page you downloaded the plugin from will say which menu and submenu it is in.

FileType plugins are found in the Open and Save As dialogs.

If you still can't find it, it would help to know exactly which plugin you're trying to use so we can help you find it and/or install it correctly.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

Just to help those on Windows 7. There are 2 program folders, Program Files and Program Files (x86). The dll's will auto go into the (x86) folder for Paint.Net. Just copy that and go to the normal Program Files, Paint.Net paste, click yes to replace the Effects folder and you are good to go!

Hope this helps anyone that was having issues.

Just to help those on Windows 7. There are 2 program folders, Program Files and Program Files (x86).

You don't have that folder because you're using Windows 7, you have it because you're running the 64bit version. I only started using a 64bit OS when I installed Windows 7, but i'm pretty sure Vista and XP have similar folders.

The dll's will auto go into the (x86) folder for Paint.Net. Just copy that and go to the normal Program Files, Paint.Net paste, click yes to replace the Effects folder and you are good to go!

The only installer i've seen having that problem is MadJik's, and obviously it only applies when you install plugins manually.

KaHuc.png

• 2 weeks later...

Hey man, I'm brand spanking new here..but just wanted to say I love this site and that help page really...helped ha. Thanks.

ETA: Sorry, but had a question. It took me awhile to finally figure out how to download plugins the other day, but I figured it out..I thought.

I'm trying to download EdHarvey's Newest Effects now. Am I supposed to download the earlier versions of this plugin or something? I can't seem to get to the DLL files from the initial Zip Folder (I have Windows Vista). I Unblocked it already and tried opening the zip folder in the Effects folder and also tried opening it in the Compatibility Files. I did that with the other plugins to reach the DLL files and then moved them to the actual Paint.net Effects Folder and it worked. This one keeps telling me "Windows cannot open the folder. The compressed (zipped) Folder is invalid."

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

unlvsigpicgoodsize.jpg

Looks like there may be a problem with the file itself. Have a read of the last few posts in this thread (post followup questions in that thread): viewtopic.php?f=16&t=26244&start=0

Is there a way to automatically copy plugins to paint.net/effects?

I want to sync the plugins of two machines automatically (using Unity). One is an XP machine, other is a Windows 7 machine.

On the XP machine things go smoothly, Unity runs and is able to copy all the dlls to and from the plugin directory, but on the Windows 7 machine, I get an "Access denied" even when I run the synchronization script as an Administrator. I understand that this is a security feature and I don't want to disable that, if possible.

Do you know if, in the future, Paint.NET will have its plugin directory under the user's profile, since that is writable.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am a newbie so have what I assume is the most uptodate version of GetPaint which I downloaded a few days ago (around 2 April).

Yesterday I downloaded Boltbaits plug-ins (7 April). They are not working for me.

Here is directory tree and main folders

C:\Program files

\ PAINT.Net

\Effects

\PAINTNET.3.5.4Install

\ Burninate.dll

\ColorBalance.dll

\etc < all the other .dlls on Boltbaits latest release are shown in the Effects folder here as .dlls>

When I open Paint and select Effects, this is what comes up on the Pull down Menu

Artistic

Blurs

Distort

Noise

Object

Photo

Redo

Style

Flip Horizontal

Flip Vertical

So no sign of things like Burninate for example or Threshold either for that matter.

I am running XP Pro latest release.

Any suggestions