How to Install Plugins ×

HOW TO INSTALL PLUGINS/General Plugin Troubleshooting Thread

RaveN

Before we get started on installation instructions, please read this:

MODERATOR NOTE - Please be aware that installing plugins for the Store bought version of Paint.net is slightly different.  Please read How To half way down this page.

NOTE ABOUT SOURCING PLUGINS:

All reputable Paint.NET plugins are released via this forum. Either get them from here, or from links posted here.

DO NOT TRUST PLUGINS FROM ANYWHERE ELSE.

Please - it's for your own good.

In addition, please do not post any links to third-party sites hosting Paint.NET plugins.  This means that if (1) you don't own the site and the plugin, or (2) it isn't a link to forums.getpaint.net, don't post the link.

To locate plugins by name or author, or to download the free listings (updated monthly) - see Ego Eram Reputo's Award-Winning Plugin Index.

If you have already downloaded plugins from another source:
  1. Remove and uninstall all files you have downloaded from that site.
  2. Update your antivirus software's malware definitions.
  3. Run a "full" or "complete" scan with your antivirus software.
  4. Report the site to one of the moderators on this forum so we can consider whether to take action against it.

You should follow these steps as soon as possible.  It may take some time, but it will save you lots of recovery time later.

Finally, if you see a suspicious link on this forum, don't click it.

Report it to a moderator immediately via the "Report" link at the bottom of the post so that we can keep the links on this forum as trustworthy as possible.  We can help tell you whether it is legitimate or not.

Now, back to your regularly-scheduled plugin installation instructions.

-The Mod Team

---

I think this is a good Idea, Rick may not, but in this section there should be a stickied or at least a thread for installing plugins, there are a bunch in general discussion, and it should be covered here, if the creator didn't give instructions.

Download the file, I personally save to desktop, then extract, move the extracted file to my desktop, then close the windows.

Go to My Computer, then find C Local Disk

Find Program files, and find Paint.NET, and find effects, place the .dll file in there, if it is a filetype, find filetypes in the paint.NET folder.

If you have paint.net open while you install it, close it and open it again to access it.

Additional help:
How to install Paint.NET plugins (A step-by-step guide, with pictures!)

not to be confused with...

How to install palette files

• Upvote 2
ravennm3.png

[...]

Find Program files, and find Paint.NET, and find effects, place the .dll file in there, if it is a font, find filetypes in the paint.NET folder.

[...]

One little mistake :lol: :wink:
  • Upvote 1

there is one of these, if the people happen to take the second and a half it takes to read the readme file...

And where would we find the 'readme' file? I have looked all over and can't find it.

Maybe I need new glasses. 8)

My understanding is, 'readme' files come in notepad. I have no notepad files in my 'paint.net' program files.

siggy3.jpg

there is one of these, if the people happen to take the second and a half it takes to read the readme file...

And where would we find the 'readme' file? I have looked all over and can't find it.

Maybe I need new glasses. 8)

My understanding is, 'readme' files come in notepad. I have no notepad files in my 'paint.net' program files.

If you download a plugin in a zip file, the readme file is normally in the there together with the dll file. But not all plugin have them.

My DA: http://leif-j.deviantart.com/

--------------

Some people seek justice so persistent, that they will do great injustice themselves.

While I have a readme file in my stuff, I'd rather we (plugin authors) could rely on a minimum level of common sense instead..?

Seems much more sensible to me.. especially as plugins are generally written out of the kindness of the developers hearts..

Dean

• Like 2

While I have a readme file in my stuff, I'd rather we (plugin authors) could rely on a minimum level of common sense instead..?

Seems much more sensible to me.. especially as plugins are generally written out of the kindness of the developers hearts..

Dean

You're fortunate to be a lot more computer literate than some of us. :?

Maybe assumptions shouldn't be made. Just because somebody can turn on their computer without it blowing up, that they then know what to do once it is on. :lol::D

• Like 1
siggy3.jpg

I'm not saying that this is at all difficult for the end user, because it shouldn't be, but maybe some of the confusion lies in the fact that the folder in which the "Plugins" go is called "Effects". To make this as simple as possible, for those people who are just that, you could rename the "Effects" folder to "Plugins" in future PdN versions.

Take responsibility for your own intelligence. 😉 -Rick Brewster

I'm not saying that this is at all difficult for the end user, because it shouldn't be, but maybe some of the confusion lies in the fact that the folder in which the "Plugins" go is called "Effects". To make this as simple as possible, for those people who are just that, you could rename the "Effects" folder to "Plugins" in future PdN versions.

There are two types of Plugins - Effects and FileTypes - and there are separate directories for each.

• 3 months later...

I just simply save in the right folder then right click and click 'Extract Here'. It's much simpler than moving around file around so much.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Allright i dowloaded a gradient plugin, ( illnabs and boltbaits ) i dowloaded ONLY the .dll i put it in Effects, close paint.net went back in, i cant find were the update/plugin is :?: