Watercolor brushes

Hi I'm new here but loving paint.net. Just wondering if there is a plugin for more brushes? I have brush factory (so cool) but I'm looking for a watercolor brush that I can use to outline my graphics to look like I inked around the edges - like you would with a distress ink and a blending tool on paper. I've seen this effect with many of the printable scrapbook papers you buy on etsy and wondering if there is a brush - or technique  that will create this effect?  I've played around with all the elements in brush factory but I can't seem to get the inked smudged effect I'm looking for. Thanks

Hello @Laceydesigns and welcome :)

As you already know about Brush Factory, you can add brushes to that.  I'd suggest you down load some watercolor brushes - I got some from here:

https://www.deviantart.com/mcbadshoes/art/Watercolor-Brushes-104914510

If you are not a Deviant Art member, then you can google for free water color brushes.  If they are not in the abr. format, you can use abrViewer to change them into abr.

Once done, add your watercolor brush to Brush Factory and off you go.

waterbrush-a-panda.png

I believe, sometime in the future @Rick Brewster will be adding a few more brush options to Paint.net itself which, at the moment, has only one paint brush setting.

• Like 2

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

Unlike normal brushes, watercolor interacts with the colors on the canvas where the brush is placed. For example, picking up color based on where you click, then bleeding it off as you continue to paint. That kind of dynamic behavior isn't accounted for in my program because I didn't know it existed until I used Krita. I use both programs now because PDN is better for utility needs, but Krita is drawing-centric and better at brush-related things. I'd recommend using it to replicate watercolor styles.

Thank you both so much, I'm so new to this that almost everything you say seems like a cryptic language, lol! I'm not a Diviant Art Member, I only know the basics in paint.net -   I'm not sure what either of you said (Diviant - Krita?) but I'll research them for sure and see if I can figure them out.  The tool I'm looking is called 'inner shadow 'in photoshop and it allows for all the textures and colors to be adjusted - like color burn, overlay, normal, multiply etc.  I found a youtube video of the effect in photoshop that I'm hoping can be done in paint.net. I thought a watercolor brush would do the same effect, but maybe not. Although I love the idea of a watercolor brush too. Thanks again for your help :)

I know nothing about Photoshop, I never used it.

Judging from the end result you aim for, I think what you need is @Red ochre's Object edges plugin.

For more detail and control of the result, you may also use @BoltBait's Inner Shadow plugins (both the one under the Object and the one under the Selection Effects sub-menus).

For this example I used Object Edges, Object Inner Shadow, Surface Blur (to better blend the two colours) and then Posterize (to un-smooth the gradient).

DSH9MZP.png

Instead of using Posterize, similar results may also be achieved by saving in the JPEG format, at low quality settings. 

Edited by Djisves
Added links for Surface Blur and Posterize.

Xkds4Lh.png

Here's an alternate way @Laceydesigns:

watercolorhelp.png

@Djisves, I used your butterfly outline (hope you don't mind).

I colored the shape a lighter pink than what is shown on the secondary color. I proceeded to use the step outline above.

I believe I used 11 contours on the Contour plugin.  You'll have to play with the sliders to get something you like best.

You can lighten the edge shading if it's too dark.

Hope this, also, helps.  Welcome to the forum. :)

Edited by lynxster4
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Wow you guys are absolutely brilliant! Thank you!!!  I will give them a try and also thank you Pixey, I found the watercolor brushes in Diviant Art and I'm loving them in Paint! Also thank you Joshua Lamusga for the info about Krita, the brushes in there are amazing too - I've watched a couple tutorials & downloaded it and trying to navigate how to use it. So much fun  playing around and learning - this forum is so helpful and everyone is AmaZing, thanks again for the help! :)

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• 2 years later...
On 8/7/2020 at 7:45 AM, Pixey said:

Hello @Laceydesigns and welcome :)

As you already know about Brush Factory, you can add brushes to that.  I'd suggest you down load some watercolor brushes - I got some from here:

https://www.deviantart.com/mcbadshoes/art/Watercolor-Brushes-104914510

If you are not a Deviant Art member, then you can google for free water color brushes.  If they are not in the abr. format, you can use abrViewer to change them into abr.

Once done, add your watercolor brush to Brush Factory and off you go.

waterbrush-a-panda.png

I believe, sometime in the future @Rick Brewster will be adding a few more brush options to Paint.net itself which, at the moment, has only one paint brush setting.

Hello Pixey,

I downloaded those watercolor brushes from DaviantArt that you advised above, could you lease let me know how to add them to Paint.Net?

Thank you in advance.

Peter

2 hours ago, Pixey said:

Hello @peterk there go here:  This PC > Documents > paint.net User Files > Custom Brushes

cry.gif.dc3d9ca9aa3c81cac3fa4119bbae9790.gifBut, but I don' habe a custom brushes -sniff. 

Seriously where did our  my, paint.net  version 4.3.12 and me go so wrong? Please and thank you.

Scooter

Age is only  a number --in my case a Really BIG number, but there you have it

When the prefect paint.net image is created, I will still be wondering "How they Do that?"- sigh☺️

3 hours ago, Scooter said:

cry.gif.dc3d9ca9aa3c81cac3fa4119bbae9790.gifBut, but I don' habe a custom brushes -sniff. 

You can create the folder if it is not present. Navigate to the parent folder (This PC > Documents > paint.net User Files) and look in the file explorer toolbar for a button called New Folder. Click that and enter the folder name :)

Once again, in a mater of meir seconds (well minutes) the answer is provided and I was able to follow the steps and Wall-ler I have a custom brushes folder! 928303275_YESHAPPYDANCEtenor.gif.d42cb4d58cea61e43593abfece263f3a.gif Life IS good in paint.net land, once again.

Scooter

Age is only  a number --in my case a Really BIG number, but there you have it

When the prefect paint.net image is created, I will still be wondering "How they Do that?"- sigh☺️

30 minutes ago, peterk said:

now where the folder is in my pc, my question is hoh to add them to Paint.net?

You drag the .abr brushes into that folder.  Then, when you open paint.net go to Tools > Custom Mini Brushes or Dynamic Draw, and there will be an option to Add the brush you want.  Navigate to that Custom Brushes folder and pick the one you want.

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.