Sozo's Old Gallery, Now Closed

Sozo

hehe shape 3d for planets thats the lazy way sozo :D

It's the only way, unfortunately. Perhaps if some of our esteemed plugin making members were to make a photoshop-like sphereize effect... :P

Correction: Its the only GOOD way to make planets. There's still the lens option :P

Also, is that a PDN texture or is it using a stock or another program? Just wondering. Textures always annoy me and yours always rule.

4501470889_5a71ed4d66_o.png

- Any thoughts? -

It's the only way, unfortunately. Perhaps if some of our esteemed plugin making members were to make a photoshop-like sphereize effect... :P

Correction: Its the only GOOD way to make planets. There's still the lens option :P

Also, is that a PDN texture or is it using a stock or another program? Just wondering. Textures always annoy me and yours always rule.

I took a picture of concrete actually. It has been significantly changed with Paint.NET though. I was going to make a normal looking planet until I started messing around with the gradient mapping plugin and got a really good looking volcanic world.

How's this image for a beautiful color gradient Oma? This is one of many good examples of lots of good space art out there, and one of the pieces that inspires me. Work like this is always a learning process, and next time I'll use a blue are greenish color. Blue and green are my preference anyway. ;)

yes my preference as well for space scenes is the blue and green, sometimes light inky purple. I often think space is cold and blue green just makes me feel the immensity and awe inspiring vastness. Orange red is so in your face. :lol: up close and scorching instead of distant and mysterious as cool colors would be.

ciao OMA

Actually i don't even use shape 3d on my planets sozo if you take a look at blue resonance on my d.a that planet was made by using simple gradients and a texture made in pdn.

The method i use bypasses shape 3d. I make an alpha mask of the shape of the planet then i alpha mask a texture layer then alpha mask a layer of white and a layer of black then i use a transparent radial gradient to make it look like this below :D

th_8aba0f90.png

that only took about 5 minutes to slap that together. You can make things look 3d without shape 3d :D

"Clearly it's a very serious and literal meaning. If you're not solving physics equations then get off my lawn!-Rick Brewster Paint.net Lead Developer"

Also, I used to save as alpha mask, then run bulge with low setting s a few times, then run alpha mask again so it's the original size. But I've decided shape3d is faster and looks more realistic/less quality loss on texture.

Regarding the latest version, I like it better than the first. But since you fixed my other nag I guess I'll give you another one :P Since you made the planet smaller, which to me mostly makes it look farther away, it seems like the planet would be brighter than before and should have more intense lighting.

• 1 month later...

Well, I've been working on a new space scene, as I said before. It's currently very much a work in progress, but I thought I'd post a preview anyway so you peoples could see how I was doing and maybe give me some feedback.

Enjoy the Cobalt Dust Cloud (name also a WIP):

n200zo.jpg

More work to be done on the stars, both big and small. Also, planets! I plan to feature a gas giant as the main planet in this one, plus one or two more small planets.

Oops, forgot to mention: so far this is 100% Paint.NET. :)

Thank you all for your comments, I'm glad to know there's interest. :)

As per Sarkut's request, here's an update. I think I've got the gas giant pretty near done:

cobaltdustcloudminipreview.jpg

I'm going to work more with the lighting on the gas giant and with the wayward, lonely star there beside it. Also, because this one seems to be going so well (still all Paint.NET at this point), I'm going to try another crack at making some good rings. Two moons to go in too. See ya'll later. Spring break begins now!

I'm somewhat surprised there isn't a glow coming from the planet, that's something I usually see in all of your planet works, unless you are going into a new direction? The background suffers a bit from gradient artificial, but it isn't all that detracting. This looks to be another masterpiece from you, Sozo. Keep it up.

Officially retired from this forum. Have a nice day.

Very nice. I like the contrast, but I'd like to see more colors. :)

---- Gallery | Sig Tutorial | deviantART | Sig Videos | PhotoBucket ----

D                  E                  S                  T                  I                 N                  Y

@ Chris: Yep, as noted, the whole scene is all created in Paint.NET by myself. I should have another incremental update soon, and I'll place them side by side so you can compare. :)

@ DarkShock: I'll see what I can do, there's always the moons. ;)