Image Umbrella: Realistic Images

david.atwell

Darned good work! Bit of drop shadow would give it more "pop". I love the metal textures too.

thanks, means a lot to me

dropshadow huh? i used a bit to give more depth, but that was omnidirectional. you mean to go with the highlights light being on the upper left so the dropshadow.. hmm

anyway, its a learning process

spacesig.png

SARCASM- Just one of the many services I offer free to the public.

Agreed it looks cool.

One thing that jumps out at me is the shape of the tie-straps ... a bit too straight on their backs IMO

and 2 links without Bevel on them ?

A job to tell because I can't find the off switch :lol:

i understand what you mean about the tie-straps but that will be something for another project, i refuse to replace 7 layers of 32 frames :P

as for the links, they are all beveled, used the smae method for creating each, but i did rotate them into place before beveling so it doesnt show up as much on some as it does on others, but it was the only way to keep the highlights where they should be

spacesig.png

• 2 weeks later...

Looks great! I'm not sure if it's just me, but the chain looks like it is shifting back and forth while the center spins all the way around, and it's making my head hurt :( .

I've never tried animating a chain in pdn, but I think the problem my brain is having is with the 2 links on top with dark centers (hooray for my proper terminology!)...but I can't seem to explain what about them is doing it. Also, the chain seems to have 3 frames that it repeats. There is too big a distance for the chain to cover from the last to first of these 3 frames, so rather than looking like it is moving forwards, it appears to go backwards between those two frames.

If you couldn't understand that, I'll try again later...I'm really tired at the moment, so I'm not sure if I can do better xD

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

Looks great! I'm not sure if it's just me, but the chain looks like it is shifting back and forth while the center spins all the way around, and it's making my head hurt boltbait.sad.png .

I've never tried animating a chain in pdn, but I think the problem my brain is having is with the 2 links on top with dark centers (hooray for my proper terminology!)...but I can't seem to explain what about them is doing it. Also, the chain seems to have 3 frames that it repeats. There is too big a distance for the chain to cover from the last to first of these 3 frames, so rather than looking like it is moving forwards, it appears to go backwards between those two frames.

If you couldn't understand that, I'll try again later...I'm really tired at the moment, so I'm not sure if I can do better xD

Now you have said that all I can see is the chain going back and forwards it was fine before :)

in a way the chain is actually shifting back and forth..too few positions with too many similar links. like a lot of animated giffs this tries to fool your brain into seeing a smooth progression, but a change in perspective ruins it-- been thinking on that one-- might have to add in odd links(ones with a flaw or something) to keep your eyes going around with the chain

the reason those links are darker is the way i made them using a vertical fade on cond hue/sat and they always ended in a darker spectrum due to where in the pic they are-the chain comes very close to repeating itself every four frames--i HAVE been studying the problem.. any advice would be welcome

there are actually 32 individual frames, but the gear teeth and the chain links end up in the smae "start" possition every 4-- only the center has a truely unique possition for every frame

Edited by mountnman

spacesig.png

in a way the chain is actually shifting back and forth..too few positions with too many similar links. like a lot of animated giffs this tries to fool your brain into seeing a smooth progression, but a change in perspective ruins it-- been thinking on that one-- might have to add in odd links(ones with a flaw or something) to keep your eyes going around with the chain

the reason those links are darker is the way i made them using a vertical fade on cond hue/sat and they always ended in a darker spectrum due to where in the pic they are-the chain comes very close to repeating itself every four frames--i HAVE been studying the problem.. any advice would be welcome

there are actually 32 individual frames, but the gear teeth and the chain links end up in the smae "start" possition every 4-- only the center has a truely unique possition for every frame

I imagine you aren't re-doing the shine on the chain links every frame. Perhaps a better approach would be to make all the links exactly the same, then overlay them with a vertical fade after they are in place and ready for the next frame. I think the problem is that you had to reset the chain position every time you got to that 4th frame because of the darker links in order to keep the lighting effect realistic. If you adjust the lighting as you go, the problem should disappear.

@Aislin: mind = blown. As usual.

Edited by pdnnoob

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

I imagine you aren't re-doing the shine on the chain links every frame. Perhaps a better approach would be to make all the links exactly the same, then overlay them with a vertical fade after they are in place and ready for the next frame. I think the problem is that you had to reset the chain position every time you got to that 4th frame because of the darker links in order to keep the lighting effect realistic. If you adjust the lighting as you go, the problem should disappear.

@Aislin: mind = blown. As usual.

sounds like a plan.. thanx

Edited by mountnman

spacesig.png

@Aislin: your painting is beautiful, i especially like the details in the eyes and the teeth.

This is my first artistic image created in pdn. In the following days I will try to add some shading and a background. I followed

tutorial to draw the wolf.

taNh0.png

Full size image: My link

Edited by Alsen

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

nitenurse79 - your image is really good! I like how you even added the alps (I think, at least) to the Earth. The stars could be a little more sparse and colourful, maybe. And the Sun's light seems a bit... superficial, almost. But, other than that, it's pretty realistic.

This is my first attempt at a "realistic" image in Paint.NET:

nJ4vY.jpg

Opinions? It's a bit blurry, but unfortunately, that couldn't be avoided... :/

@ nitenurse, looks good, maybe less and different sizes of stars? And some lens flares, there is a good plugin of Lens Flares, I am pretty sure with the lens flares will look much better.

@ jallen, nice one, they look to me as trees and sometime as power line towers, in sunset view and sometimes as fire, I like the effect and the colors, the blur won't bother me at all.