How to Install Plugins ×

CustomBrushesMini v2.2

View PostGansqa, on 20 May 2010 - 08:58 AM, said:link

Do you want to be able to use CustomBrushesMini v1.9 for Paint.NET to its full capacity? Then read on

How do I download CustomBrushesMini v1.9?

Download the file from here

How do I Install CustomBrushesMini v1.9?

Unzip your file (SBPLUGINSBESTD-uc-3040815-d.zip) and go to the folder \Effects. There should be three files there. "CustomBrushesMini.dll", "CustomBrushesMini.pdb" & "SBCommon.dll" (This last file is IMPORTANT!). Copy these files to your Paint.NET Effects Folder (Usually C:\Program Files\Paint.NET\Effects).

What do I do next?

Open up Paint.NET. This should create a folder in My Documents\Paint.NET User Files called "Custom Brushes". This is where your custom brushes files will be stored.

How do I use CustomBrushesMini v1.9?

Once in Paint.NET, click Effects>Tools>CustomBrushesMini..., this will open up the CustomBrushesMini console.

I did exactly these steps, but, I don't get the "Tools" option in the effects, nor Custombrushes anywhere... maybe I did something wrong? is it because custom brushes needs to be updated for Paint.Net v3.5.10?

• 8 months later...

Hi.

I've attempted to install this but am not seeing it. For a start, where is it supposed to be in the GUI?

I think I followed the (somewhat cryptic) instructions ok, and the two files are in the Effects folder, so I'm rather confused, and would appreciate help.

Thanks,

Mick Berg.

Check to make sure it is installed in the right place. I should be in the effects folder under the paint.net directory (program files>paint.net>effects)

If it is, it should appear in effects>tools when you restart paint.net

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

@Mick Berg and pdnnoob: I've merged the separate thread into the Custom Brushes thread to keep all the discussion in one place.

pdnnoob is quite correct - you can find this plugin under the Effects | Tools submenu

yhsjjie-69.png

The Tools submenu should be automatically created when needed (like when the application finds the Custom Brushes plugin on startup). Check that you have the files suitated in the correct folder - Paint.NET/Effects/

• 1 month later...

Hi there folks,

I'm fairly new to paint.net and have no idea how to start creating the brushes I have in mind;

Two of the ones I had in mind for a few different projects I'm working on are Glow brushes and blood-splatter. The glow brushes could have the effect of colorful glowing lines to a glowing mist. The blood splatter would give the effect of (for lack of a better term) actual blood.

If you have suggestions or if I missed something please let me know.

Thank you for your patience and input :greengrin:

Hi Kelly,

I think you will have to persevere with learning to master how to download the brushes you want, if you can't make them yourself. It is a little complicated and you need to know where your Paint.NET files are on your computer. The links you have been given in a few of your other posts, explain how to do this. Basically you can find those brushes you want on Brusheezy, download them to a file on your computer, convert them into ABR, put them into the Custom Brushes File and then you will be able to use them in Paint.NET. I'm afraid there is no easy way to explain all this, except to keep trying. It took me a while to get it right in the beginning ...... hang in there :smile:

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

• 8 months later...

I have been using PDN for over two years and have never been able to figure out the custom brushes,lol. After a few recent threads about the Custom Brushes the light finally came on in my dark head and I was able to install the app in the right place,download .abr files for my brush library,get an abr viewer for converting to png's and move the files into the custom brushes folder. When it was done exporting into the custom brushes folder I noticed there were 383 of them. I opened PDN and went to use them but when it tried to open it sat there with the blue circle spinning forever,almost a freeze up. So then I found a thread with info on subfolders in custom brushes that said to name the subfolders starting with "_" ,I assumed it only meant the under score so that is what I added. Without it I couldn't see the folders,but with it all the brushes are visible in the custom mini brushes pane. I only tried it with a couple folders before I did it to all of them. If they all are going to show up then it will still freeze on me and the change did nothing. I already have the different type of brushes as png's in separate category folders in the custom brushes folder but i am stumped from here. Can some one please help with an answer or a link to one on how to do this? 

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/21233-skullbonz-art-gallery

^  Surely a question for the Custom Brushes thread?

<Merged>

My first crash with PDN was from stuffing too many brushes into the Custom Brushes folder.

I don't know the limit, I just put a few underscored folders into Custom Brush folder at a time and you can choose individual bushes from inside the Custom Brush Mini program.

SloppySig.png

AAhh doughty,that was how I tested it after I put them in folders. Well it is easy to make the folders visible or not visible just by removing or adding the underscore on the folder name. Plus I have them all named to match the sets so it will be real easy to find what I need.

Edited by skullbonz

I am loving this plugin,thanks for making it. I only wish you could draw your own shapes with each brush instead of having to use a premade shape.  This is my first doodle with it,lol.   ;)

th_195-b_zps57815e80.png

• 8 months later...

I know I had a similar post but in that I had written down the wrong file path and I thought I had corrected the gentleman who wrote to me saying I had them in the wrong folder.

Ever since I had updated my PDN I have lost all my custom mini brushes. PLEASE do note that I DO have them in the right folder:  Kelly\Documents\Paint.NET User Files.

Is anyone else having similar problems like mine? I think I've tried everything I can: I tried re-installing the plug in AND had an update earlier this morning.

Please help me.

Kelly

It's a long shot but please try:

C:\Users\Kelly\My Documents   .............. for your user Files.

Good Luck ;) They must be hiding somewhere on your computer.  Have you also tried using Search on your computer for: Custom Brushes, or whatever you call your folder?

30b8T8B.gif

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

Hi Kelly,

Here is how you load the brushes, as explained in this thread.  You have to load the brushes first, before you can use them.

th_Brush2_zps123c438c.png

Good Luck :)

30b8T8B.gif

You won't see the brushes until you add the underscore before the name in what ever folder you have them in. Mine are in  Libraries/Documents/Paint.net user files/Custom brushes  and I'm using windows 7. If you have a lot of brushes with the underscore added it will take a long time to load. You will have to plan which brushes you need for the project you are working on first if this happens to you.

:doh: I know you have to load them first.,....the brushes are on my computer UNDER this path: C:\Kelly\Documents\Paint.NET User Files. I tried reloading the brushes like pixie said but it still does not work!  It is not my lack of knowledge as to how to download the brushes...I have been doing that correctly for the past two years. My problem started when Paint.net was updated recently. I hope I made myself clear.

I have tried re installing the entire Simon Browns Plug in pack but still am not having any luck. Do I have to uninstall Paint.net and re install it or what????

Edited by KellyJ13

That's odd...I just tried it now, and I didn't even have to put the brush in the folder. I just clicked "add brush" and found my brush and added it.

EDIT: and yes, I'm using the latest beta version

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

I was only able to find this.

And as another user said in 2012 in the comments: 

"Um, what happens if a folder for custom brushes ISN'T created? In fact, I don't even have a folder named Paint.NET User Files. I tried making one, but opening the CustomBrushesMini in Paint just gives me an error and tries to close the program. Clearly I'm doing something wrong, but what? "

Thank you for your help and I apologize if this has been asked before but I was unable to find an answer in my searches.