How to use CustomBrushesMini

Gansqa

Do you want to be able to use CustomBrushesMini for Paint.NET to its full capacity? Then read on

How do I download CustomBrushesMini?

Download the plugin from here

How do I Install CustomBrushesMini?

Unzip your file and go to the folder \Effects. There should be three files there. "CustomBrushesMini.dll" & "SBCommon.dll" (This last file is IMPORTANT!). Copy these files to your Paint.NET Effects Folder (Usually C:\Program Files\Paint.NET\Effects).

What do I do next?

Open up Paint.NET. This should create a folder in My Documents\Paint.NET User Files called "Custom Brushes". This is where your custom brushes files will be stored.

How do I use CustomBrushesMini?

Once in Paint.NET, click Effects>Tools>CustomBrushesMini..., this will open up the CustomBrushesMini console.

There are no brushes in my CustomBrushesMini. Help!

Don't panic. You still need to put some brushes in there. You can download some custom brushes created by Paint.NET users here, or you can do what I do and download brushes from Brusheezy.

Where do I put the brushes when I download them?

CustomBrushesMini uses .png files, so its best to make sure you download these to use. Once you've downloaded the files, just place them in your "Custom Brushes" folder (Usually My Documents\Paint.NET User Files\Custom Brushes). Once your files are in here, just go to the CustomBrushesMini console (Effects>Tools>CustomBrushesMini), and they should be there.

What is Brusheezy?

Brusheezy is a Free Photoshop Brushes community.

How do I use Brusheezy?

Easy. Just go to www.brusheezy.com/Brushes. If you are planning on downloading a heap of the files, or even going there frequently, I recommend becoming a member.

Just browse through the list of their many brushes and once you've found one that you like, click on the thumbnail. Just to the right of the picture, there should be a Download link. Click this, save your file, and you're away!

The files are .zip files. what do I do?

Easy. Just extract the files to whatever folder you are going to be using.

The files are .abr files. Now what?

.abr files, are common Photoshop brush files. What you need to do now, is download a program called Abrviewer. (This can be downloaded here)

How to use Abrviewer:

Firstly, you need to install it. Double click on the file installation file Usually abrViewer.Net_1.0.2_Install.exe
 and install in wherever you like. The cool thing about this program is that you can run it off your flash drive if you want. Next, double click on the abrViewer.NET.exe icon, to run the program. Next, you need to click on the "Select folder" button. This is about 1/4 of the way down the left-hand side of the console. This will pop-up with a folder browser. Select the folder that your .abr files are in and press "Ok". This will load up all the .abr files that are in that folder. Right-click on one of those files, and either press "Show" or "Show All". This will build a preview of the file(s)

Note. it is recommended that you don't press anything until this process is complete.

Once this is complete, on the top bar, click Export>Thumbnails. Select your output folder
My Documents\Paint.NET User Files\Custom Brushes).

This will now export the files as .png files.

Note. it is recommended that you don't press anything until this process is complete.

Once the files are exported, it should open up your Custom Brushes folder, or whatever folder you exported them to. You don't need to keep the title image for each pack.
Usually a blue text image.. Once this process is complete, the brush is now in your CustomBrushesMini.

What if I want to make a sub-directory?

You can make a sub-directory by making a folder, and starting the name with a an underscore, i.e. "_clouds".

So how DO I actually use CustomBrushesMini?

Once the console is open, and the files are loaded, there will be a preview of the files to the right. Click on the image you want to use, and click on the screen where you want it to go. You can change the size and colour using the controls up the top. (Note. when changing the size, it takes the second click for the new size to come into effect). If you have sub-directories, you can select one of these using the drop-down menu above the the preview panel. I recommend you do what I do when using this. Place your file wherever on your screen, it doesn't have to be exactly where you want it. Once you have done this, press ok and wait for it to render. Once this is done, undo it, make a new layer, then go to Effects>Repeat CustomBrushesMini (Ctrl+F). This will do exactly what you just did, on a new layer. Then you can move the images to exactly where you want them.

And remember the most important rule, SAVE OFTEN!

Note: If you are like me and have a lot of brushes, it may take a while for CustomBrushesMini to load. Do NOT press anything while this is happening, or your Paint.NET may freeze!

Thanks for reading this tutorial. I hope you found it useful.

Gansqa

• Upvote 2

1. No polls. Read the rules.

2. Post in the correct section. Read the rules.

3. Pretty well-written (though, is anyone really asking about Brusheezy, or is that cleverly disguised spam? I've been out of commission for a few months, so I don't know what our buzzwords are yet). I'll move it for you; keep the good tutorials coming!

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Hey sorry, new around here and didn't know how to put it in the tutorials.

It's not supposed to be spam, just wanted others to know it was out there so they can use it. I use it a lot and it's really helpful. Just saving people time for looking around for one. Also it saves me having to write a whole new section if someone does ask. I will remove it if need be.

Didn't realize about the rules. My bad. I better check next time aye. :). Thanks for the help David.atwell.

Edited by Gansqa

I don't really get it because I have just blocks and that contains the whole brush

I thought it was like a Brush like paintbrush,But I think I have to make that background with PS5 then and the rest with Paint.NET

I have a GTA SAMP server where I play,and on the forums I have a signature shop,but almost everyone that even studied Graphics stuff wants to have me at PhotoShop

Can I change the block to a normal brush?

Edited by KevinB

Can I change the block to a normal brush?

You can make any brush you desire.

Just put it in the proper folder

C:\Documents and Settings\yournamehere\My Documents\Paint.NET User Files\Custom Brushes

save it as a .png

martelshiney300-1.pngbleeping12.png

• 6 months later...

I apologize if I'm reviving a "dead" topic, but I must say, thank you very much. I have Photoshop CS5 at my school and I make lots of artwork, but now I can make stuff almost just as cool here at home. Very well written, and I thank you for that.

Brusheezy is a site I use at school as well as MyPhotoshopBrushes.com. Neither are bogus or spam, and have no viruses in the downloads.

Proud (and happy!) Paint.NET user since March, 2009.

HOW TO USE .ABR BRUSH FILES IN PAINT.NET

• 1 month later...

I apologize if I'm reviving a "dead" topic, but I must say, thank you very much. I have Photoshop CS5 at my school and I make lots of artwork, but now I can make stuff almost just as cool here at home. Very well written, and I thank you for that.

Brusheezy is a site I use at school as well as MyPhotoshopBrushes.com. Neither are bogus or spam, and have no viruses in the downloads.

Thanks. I hope this helps lots of people. :). Good luck with your school projects

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Crix, on my computer, once you open Abrviewer and preview the brushes, it saves them under Computer -> Downloads -> ABRViewerImages (which is a folder). I hope that helps a bit. If not, let me know and I can post some screenshots.

Crix, on my computer, once you open Abrviewer and preview the brushes, it saves them under Computer -> Downloads -> ABRViewerImages (which is a folder). I hope that helps a bit. If not, let me know and I can post some screenshots.

What do you mean by preview the brushes? I don't know if I went to the right downloads or something, but I don't see a AVRViewerImages folder. All I see are:

http://i56.tinypic.com/15dmff9.png

When I click computer it doesn't show me a downloads tab it only shows me this:

11ihmo0.png

Edited by Ego Eram Reputo
Replaced huge image with link

Sorry, my apologies, I was looking in the wrong spot.

First off, download your brushes, and unzip them, remembering where they are stored. Then, open up ABRViewer. You should get an interface that looks like this:

1r22pw.png

Click "Add another directory". Locate your downloaded brushes, most likely in your Downloads folder:

x6fqz9.png

Then choose "Choose this Directory". Back in the ABRViewer, double-click the folder you now see. You'll get a dropdown where the brushes are. Click the drop down, then wait a few moments for the brushes to load:

2rhse9z.png

Once you have your brushes loaded, close ABRViewer. Now go back PDN, and open up your CustomMiniBrushes. Click "Add Brushes", and look for your Downloads folder, then for the folder called "ABRViewImages":

98awsx.png

Open that up, and you should see all of your brushes. Choose the ones you want to load, and hit enter. It'll take a while to load if you have a lot of brushes. I hope this helped (and was allowed). :)

• 2 months later...

Do you want to be able to use CustomBrushesMini v1.9 for Paint.NET to its full capacity? Then read on

How do I download CustomBrushesMini v1.9?

Download the file from here

How do I Install CustomBrushesMini v1.9?

Unzip your file (SBPLUGINSBESTD-uc-3040815-d.zip) and go to the folder \Effects. There should be three files there. "CustomBrushesMini.dll", "CustomBrushesMini.pdb" & "SBCommon.dll" (This last file is IMPORTANT!). Copy these files to your Paint.NET Effects Folder (Usually C:\Program Files\Paint.NET\Effects).

What do I do next?

Open up Paint.NET. This should create a folder in My Documents\Paint.NET User Files called "Custom Brushes". This is where your custom brushes files will be stored.

How do I use CustomBrushesMini v1.9?

Once in Paint.NET, click Effects>Tools>CustomBrushesMini..., this will open up the CustomBrushesMini console.

I did exactly these steps, but, I don't get the "Tools" option in the effects, nor Custombrushes anywhere... maybe I did something wrong?

• 5 months later...

What do I do next?

Um, what happens if a folder for custom brushes ISN'T created? In fact, I don't even have a folder named Paint.NET User Files. I tried making one, but opening the CustomBrushesMini in Paint just gives me an error and tries to close the program. Clearly I'm doing something wrong, but what?

• 4 months later...

Ahhh! :P

Does anyone use the brusheezy.com site? I went there and I have more questions than answers and more issues come up that I can't seem to solve on my own. For one on the brushes I want to download I can't find where it says if its a PNG file or anything indicating what file type it is.

If anyone does go there and likes the site please let me know and I'll go into more detail about my issues OR let me know that this site is just bunk for Paint.net users and if there are some better brush sites out there.

Thank You very much

KellyJ.

Thank you Nitenurse,

I wanted to not have to go through all the different posts that are attached this subject and I wanted more of the "special effects" that i see on Brusheezy.com and i know there are a few other sites out there but I am having a hard time finding them.

Last week i asked if there was a way to have all the PDN brushes (created by you nice folks out there) in a different list so they would be easier to sort through and not have to read all the different posts.

Last week i asked if there was a way to have all the PDN brushes (created by you nice folks out there) in a different list so they would be easier to sort through and not have to read all the different posts.

Having categorised list's would be ideal Kelly, but most members on here post "as and when" they create a brush (or a set)

I think google search may be your best friend for finding the special effects brushes your after. :) I know there are many PS resources out there (I used to have CS5 expanded) sadly I deleted all of the bookmarks to them otherwise I could help you further.

If you wish to create your own brushes for example, you could make a small (say 250x250 px) canvas, add a new layer and paint something on it to your taste, then delete the backgound (white) layer, save your work as a .PNG and use it as a custom brush :)

ZXCBOoZ.png

• 2 months later...

Hi there,

Has anyone else had problems with the abr viewer? Mine will suddenly stop working while coverting files - it'll look like its still processing files but at the bottom left corner above the green bar it will say "processing finished".

I tried dowloading the program again and reinstalled it. Is it the site I'm downloading from thats the problem (Soulforge.net)?

Any help and advice is greatly appreciated;

Thank You

Kelly