How to Install Plugins ×

HOW TO INSTALL PLUGINS/General Plugin Troubleshooting Thread

RaveN

I'm trying to get the ability to use custom brushes (most noteably, trying to get the blood splatter effect) and I've used the Search function extensively but I always get to outdated threads and websites where the files don't work or aren't even there anymore. (One of them is the OP to this thread).

I am completely lost.

VangBanner.png

I'm trying to get the ability to use custom brushes...
Could you describe in a little more detail what you wish to do, please? Are you encountering installation issues, or are you having problems using the plugin?

You can also post in the Custom Brushes topic for a speedier, better-informed response from users of the plugin.

Well I managed to get a blood-splatter plugin that works but it's not precisely the most realistic one I was looking for.

(I got the Pyrochild one, it's a bit cartoony).

But to answer your question, I have trouble installing some. It feels like they all require a different form of installation :(

I'm sorry I can't be more descriptive. It's hard to explain the situation when one barely knows what the problem IS :(

VangBanner.png

i am trying to add advanced tools (the dodge tool etc) but its not working plz help?? i really like the look of these tools. LFC4EVER said its located in: Effects > Tools > Advanced Tools, but on mine i dont have tools folder in the effects folder if you get me??

Hi,

Have read 33 pages in this topic and have followed all the advice on

installing plugins. Have done everything correctly and have read these

instructions too.

http://boltbait.googlepages.com

The only difference I get under properties is there is no allow or block.

So, pray tell, why don't my plugins show up under effects or adjustments.

I have the latest Paint.net version 3.36

Carl

Which ones aren't appearing?

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Can you show us a screenshot of your effects folder of Paint.NET?

I hope this helps....

EF.gif

Carl

Get rid of the file "PaintDotNetEffects.dll" from the Effects folder.

(I sure wish I knew which plugin was causing this to appear in the Effects folder. :( )

Get rid of the file "PaintDotNetEffects.dll" from the Effects folder.

(I sure wish I knew which plugin was causing this to appear in the Effects folder. :( )

WooHoo!!! You hit the nail on the head. Removed "PaintDotNetEffects.dll", and now all

my plugins are showing. 8)

You're a champion. Well done. :wink:

Carl

P.S. Now to try to remember where that plugin came from. :roll:

I know I got pyros here but it wasn't in that.

I have a feeling I saw that file in a release by KrisVDM - but I think it was in a source folder so it shouldn't be "found" by most users.

My humblest apologies to KrisVDM if I am mistaken here.

Effect Plugins reside in the Paint.NET/Effects folder. Filetypes (those plugins that deal with what types of files can be saved & loaded) reside in the Paint.NET/FileTypes folder.

Both of these folders should be present after you install PDN.

I know we all go to the plug-in forum for yall to post new plug-in effects and I have used a lot of them counting yours also..but when yall update your plug-in...Some get updates and some don't then we have to open it up and check it everytime so's to make sure we don't crash it because we forgot to remove a plug-in dll...so we can add the update..I'm thinking I'm not making since but when yall update your plug-in's why is'nt it we can't get a email saying update to bla bla...instead of checking everyone to make sure where up to date with the ones we have....with the one's that are updated ahahhahaha me..moe.

desertcrashsig.gif

Captain need more power. Are more PDN hehe

Effect Plugins reside in the Paint.NET/Effects folder. Filetypes (those plugins that deal with what types of files can be saved & loaded) reside in the Paint.NET/FileTypes folder.

I dont have either of those! All I have is a "Palettes" folder. How do you get those folders? Can you just add them? Once again, if so how?

Happiness depends upon ourselves.

-Aristotle

I dont have either of those! All I have is a "Palettes" folder. How do you get those folders? Can you just add them? Once again, if so how?

Right-click on your Paint.NET icon and select "Properties".

In the dialog box that comes up, push the "Find Target" button (or "Open File Location" if you're on Vista).

In the window that opens, double-click on the "Effects" folder.