paint.net 5.0 is now available!

Yup, that really helped!  I didn't turn off Controlled Folder Access completely but I changed it to allow paint.net.  I had rolled back to version 4.2 so now I should probably be okay upgrading to 5.0.

Thanks so much for your help!  I never would have figured out how to fix the problem.

9 hours ago, Rick Brewster said:

@Ego Eram Reputo might have a link

The image is 800x600 pixels. Here it is in all its glory.

Gen96.png

I created it by running   @Red ochre's Cuboids plugin over a duplicate of the source layer (which can be seen in the background).

@xaml - you are quite correct. The source layer was created using @MadJik's Generate 96 Colors plugin (available in MadJik's Plugin Pack).

• Hooray 1

Thank you very much for the new release. I love working with PDN.

Not sure if this topic is suitable for feature requests, but I do have a usability improvement to suggest that would make my workflow with PDN a TON better.

- Have an option to open X number of recent images in one click (or at least please give the option to make more than 10 recent files available, or have the option to only open files that have been modified; really, this is a spot for many possible improvements).
and/or
- Have an option to save a list of all active images and bring them up automatically on program relaunch. This is something more and more programs have been doing for some time now.

Let me know if I need to repost this somewhere else, but I'd appreciate your thoughts on this @Rick Brewster.

7 minutes ago, TrevorOutlaw said:

One hidden feature that I really like with v5.0 is the docks (layers or history) snapping in place on the screen. I don't think I have ever observed that behavior before v5.0.

Pretty sure that feature's been there since version 1.0.

That isn't new :) Only change in 5.0 was that the Layers and History windows now use hardware acceleration for rendering, and I made them a little bigger (because I made the layer thumbnails 20% larger)

• Upvote 1

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Oh and I added some neat, subtle blur-in effects for thumbnails :) And the image list at the top has blurring at the edges when you have enough images open to show the left/right scroll buttons. It's nice to have all that stuff running on the GPU now, I even noticed a framerate difference on my 7950X + GeForce 3090! You probably won't see it unless you're looking for it, but it should also help battery life on laptops.

You might ask, "how on Earth does it help battery life?!" Well, the GPU is much more efficient, and faster, at executing graphics tasks. And usually, faster = less power, for the same amount of results (e.g. the same # of frames).

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

10 minutes ago, Jack002 said:

My plugin, photoadjustments.dll does not work now, what can I do to get it back?

You need to install BoltBait's plugin pack for PDN 5.0:

• Thanks 1

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

@Jack002 The same thing happened to me with BoltBait’s plug-ins (as soon as v5.0 released, I noticed that none of them functioned, so I looked into the plugin errors, and it turned out they were outdated and needed to be updated), and the first thing was reinstall them, and now they work as intended. Consider reinstalling them, that'll update them to a version intended to work with v5.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

PDN Forums Signature 2.png

1 hour ago, dev mehta said:

...still no text editing

A year's worth of work has gone into the huge number of changes associated with paint.net v5.0 (see the start of this thread).

Also see the Popular Feature Requests post at https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/2940-popular-feature-requests/ which includes:

Ability to re-edit text, or "text layers", or some variation thereof -- This an enormous work item due to other plumbing that must be in place to enable it. This falls into the "yes I agree, and hopefully we'll have it someday." No solid ETA, but planned for a 5.0 or 5.x release. This is getting closer to reality, so hang in there."

There's no value in posting just to point out that there's "still no text editing".

The application and all its enhancements are provided to you for free. Hang in there.

Edited by Tactilis
Typo
  • Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, dev mehta said:

...still no text editing

Low quality comment. I never said this feature was going to be in 5.0. Don't be an entitled brat.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Been happily using PDN for years to make Minecraft skins and mess with textures, i.e. pixel art. I installed 5.0 and the first change I noticed was how the Zoom tool doesn't snap to pixels anymore. I saw the toggle for antialiased or pixelated selection quality, and switched it to pixelated. It does make the selection visually appear to snap to pixels, but the way it actually functions still seems to be the same as the antialiased option; it zooms in based on the exact point where I clicked and released, rather than based on the pixels it snapped to. This means that I can't zoom in to the same spot on two images and have them properly aligned with each other. The ability to do that has been very useful to me for quickly compared two versions of the same image. If the pixelated selection quality for the Zoom tool can be given the functionality that the tool itself previously had in a future update, that would be very much appreciated.

Edited by FarribaStarfyre

41 minutes ago, FarribaStarfyre said:

Been happily using PDN for years to make Minecraft skins and mess with textures, i.e. pixel art. I installed 5.0 and the first change I noticed was how the Zoom tool doesn't snap to pixels anymore. I saw the toggle for antialiased or pixelated selection quality, and switched it to pixelated. It does make the selection visually appear to snap to pixels, but the way it actually functions still seems to be the same as the antialiased option; it zooms in based on the exact point where I clicked and released, rather than based on the pixels it snapped to. This means that I can't zoom in to the same spot on two images and have them properly aligned with each other. The ability to do that has been very useful to me for quickly compared two versions of the same image. If the pixelated selection quality for the Zoom tool can be given the functionality that the tool itself previously had in a future update, that would be very much appreciated.

I'll look into it, thanks for reporting this

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Low quality comment. I never said this feature was going to be in 5.0. Don't be an entitled brat.

You can deride the person's comment to deflect the reality of what they're saying but it doesn't detract from the truth of their statement.  While you're adding all these whiz-bang features that few people will use (like pressure sensitivity), you've long-neglected a basic need of even the most mundane graphic arts tool: robust text handling.  At this point, your text handling still lags behind even the most baseline of all graphics programs, Microsoft Paint.  That's not a criticism, it's pointing out reality, a reality you obviously don't want to hear.  As for entitled, if you weren't asking for money, I could see that being the case.  But now that you're charging for the program or asking for donations, people should be able to point out flaws and deficiencies without being harangued.  Right now, I intensively use Microsoft Paint, Adobe Photoshop, GIMP, Paint.Net and Inkscape depending on the system I'm on and the complexity of the task at hand but I find myself using Paint.Net less and less due to the frustration of trying to kludge around its archaic text capabilities. Why you've neglected this most basic feature for so long is beyond me but it has tainted an otherwise great program.  Take that criticism as you will but it is not meant to demean but to reinforce the need for better text handling if you wish your program to stay competitive with like offerings

@bdwilcox You made this point in May https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/119792-how-to-edit-text-layers-in-pdn-file/#comment-595750

You received a clear reply then.

As @Rick Brewster said in his reply to you:

Editable text is a big feature that requires a whole bunch of infrastructure changes, including changes to the .PDN file format. Not impossible, but it needs to be done right so that I don't have to revise the file format more than once. The foundation just isn't in place yet.

The infrastructure changes are being made. The foundation is being built.

Since you know that, what's your purpose in complaining here?

If you don't like what paint.net provides, then use other software.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi, I'm suddenly missing the feature I used most :(

Any way to get the Adjustements > Colors back? (Not sure exactly what it was called because it's dissappeared, but it presented 4 horizontal sliders to add more/less blue/red/yellow/green etc. There are still curves etc and temp/tint was added but these are much more difficult to get set correctly.

7 minutes ago, GP1 said:

Hi, I'm suddenly missing the feature I used most :(

Any way to get the Adjustements > Colors back? (Not sure exactly what it was called because it's dissappeared, but it presented 4 horizontal sliders to add more/less blue/red/yellow/green etc. There are still curves etc and temp/tint was added but these are much more difficult to get set correctly.

Check for plugin errors by clicking the Effects menu and looking for the top menu:

image.png

See if your favorite plugin is listed in there.  If it is, there will be a reason it no longer works.  Go from there.

Maybe you are looking for Adjustments > Color Balance:

image.png

If so, you need to update my plugin pack to the latest version which you can do by downloading from here:

https://forums.getpaint.net/BoltBaitPluginPack

Hope this helps.