ShapeMaker Tutorials

TechnoRobbo

Actually I did not name my Ghost to untitled ............. it must be the software, as it's never done that before.  I will make you a video of how to make a simple shape.  If I don't finish it tonight, I will by tomorrow ;).

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

2 minutes ago, welshblue said:

Funny enough it's showing as ghost in the folder, but untitled for me too in PDN, as is one I made, but another I made is showing by it's name.

I'm too old to be learning new tricks :D

Welshy, you have name your shape in the ShapeMaker plugin...in the title box.  If you don't, it will show up as 'untitled' even though the file is correctly named. It pulls the name from the .xaml contents.  Hope that helps!  ;)

1 minute ago, Pixey said:

It is the fault of .................................  :lol:

Ha!  Those pesky gremlins!!!    :lol:

Hi @Phil E.

42 minutes ago, Phil E. said:

Actually, EVERYTHING I TRIED did not work.

Where does your Phil.xaml come from?

If it was made in shapemaker then something works.

If you made it outside of shapemaker it wont work.

See if this helps

PaintNetSignature.png.6bca4e07f5d738b2436f83d0ce1b876f.png

1 minute ago, welshblue said:

I have ... Except one file is showing as titled and the other untitled as is @Pixey's ghost.

You can always edit your .xaml file after you re-name to .txt.  Change the file name, save it and re-name to .xaml.

Darn those gremlins!!    =O

@welshblue If you have 2 files - that tells me when you loaded "untitled" ghost to rename it to "ghost" it created a second file. Renaming in the title box creates a new file/shape. 

No Gremlns

PaintNetSignature.png.6bca4e07f5d738b2436f83d0ce1b876f.png

@lynxster4 you are correct ...... I must have forgotten to name the Ghost.  It was my very first Plugin pack for Halloween and I remember forgetting to name my shapes at first.

@Phil E. - I realize that you seem to know how to make a shape, so forgive me for making the video from scratch, but it may help others at the same time.

Oh - also I'd like to mention that sometimes the shapes, once in the Shapes folder, look nothing like you expect until you draw them out.  I recall having to look for mine more than once.

Edited by Pixey

30b8T8B.gif

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

14 hours ago, AndrewDavid said:

Hi @Phil E.

Where does your Phil.xaml come from?

If it was made in shapemaker then something works.

If you made it outside of shapemaker it wont work.

See if this helps

It was made in ShapeMaker, but it does not appear, What am I doing wrong?

2 minutes ago, Phil E. said:

BTW, Another error: my shape gets messed up when putting into the shapes tool

10 minutes ago, Phil E. said:

7 minutes ago, Phil E. said:

BTW, Another error: my shape gets messed up when putting into the shapes tool

PhilV2.xaml and Phil.xaml did not come out well. Pixey! I'll make a video about what happens.

@Phil E. said - " BTW, Another error: my shape gets messed up when putting into the shapes tool . "

Sorry, but this is getting very confusing.  It would help a lot if you posted your Phil.xaml on here so we can try it out for ourselves.

Your comment above now suggests the shape does make into the :ShapesTool: Tools area?  If so, and you can now see it, it's probably that it wasn't drawn properly.  When replying, please take care to differentiate between the Shape Maker and the Shape Tool.

Edited by Pixey
typo

30b8T8B.gif

So, my recent one is Smiley.xam- WAIT! Do I have to drag the .xaml or copy it?

Edit: I don't know why the shape disappears... Do I have to move it to a folder inside Shapes or move it to Shapes itself?

Edited by Phil E.

1.  You save the .xmal .xaml to your desktop

2.  You then go to: (OS)C  :arrow-right: Programs :arrow-right: paint.net :arrow-right: and look for the Shapes folder in there ........ add it to this folder - you can either copy it to there or just put it in there.  Your   computer may ask for permission.

3.  Re-open paint.net.

4.  Go to the Shapes - bottom of the Tools :ShapesTool:click on that.

5.  Go to the top of the Tools area and click on the arrow - you should see your shape in the Custom area.

6.  Just click on your shape and then draw it with your mouse in a new layer.  Use the shift to make it retain its shape.

Shapes click here.png

Edited by Pixey
typo

30b8T8B.gif

On ‎28‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 1:56 PM, Phil E. said:

PhilV2.xaml and Phil.xaml

Shouldn't it be xxx.xmal ? : no XAML is correct

From user guide:

Load/Save PDN Shape
Paint.net 4.0.6+ allows the addition of custom Shapes to the Shapes menu.  These Shapes are stored in
the Paint.net\Shapes\ directory.  The first two entries in the File menu allow for loading one of these
Shapes or saving the current Shape in a paint.net compatible (XAML) format in the correct directory.

Edited by MadJik
find the answer

The problem is about localisation. I created a shape and save it. It doesn't appear in the list of shapes. Editing the XAML file, I have no dot in the values, only commas. So my saved XAML is a mess for PDN.

<ps:SimpleGeometryShape xmlns="clr-namespace:PaintDotNet.UI.Media;assembly=PaintDotNet.Framework"
                        xmlns:ps="clr-namespace:PaintDotNet.Shapes;assembly=PaintDotNet.Framework"                 
                        DisplayName="jigsaw"
                        Geometry="M 123,5,122 L 123,195,5 T 121,206,105,5,203,74,5,206,5,65,262 T 69,273,5,90,5,289,5 S 98,5,292,5,108,282,5,121,05,288,11,120,5,297,5 L 117,5,373,198,5,371,5 Q 216,5,367,5,203,5,354 S 156,312,5,227,288 S 288,284,284,336 S 280,5,347,270,5,354,267,5,369,5,278,367 L 354,363,5,362,272,5 S 366,252,379,272,5,411,5,297,427,5,276,5,435,5,228,432,5,222,5 S 418,193,390,5,207 S 372,224,373,201 L 381,5,139,5,308,135 S 287,5,134,5,300,5,151 S 303,5,179,5,264,180 S 213,177,5,233,5,142 S 244,130,5,223,129
"/>

When M should be 2 values I have 3 in my XAML.

11 minutes ago, Pixey said:

If there is a bug, why then is it still working for some of us?

It's a bug that only affects certain regions. Specifically, the regions that use a comma for the decimal point.

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

Hi @Pixey I'm French, you're from Florida. I use to write PI 3,14159 with a comma as decimal separator. This comma is also used in the XAML files to separate the numbers.

You should write PI like 3.1415926 with a dot a separator. If your list of number looks like

3.1415926,200,5.67,150 so 4 numbers for paint.net

my list will be with a decimal comma instead the dot

3,1415926,200,5,67,150 so 6 numbers for paint.net

No doubt the result will be hazardous if it was working but paint.net can't load the list.

Same as say @toe_head2001 and @welshblue.

Ahhh - thank you @toe_head2001 @welshblue and @MadJik.  Now I capiche :lol:.  If I recall a couple of years ago someone on here discovered this comma thing and helped out @Rick Brewster with a problem that was happening on something else.  I think it was either @xod or maybe @Zagna.

So, then @Phil E. must be in one of these regions - as he is experiencing this same trouble :(.  At least this now answers his question ;).

30b8T8B.gif

12 hours ago, Phil E. said:

...this could help... but instead of COMMAS, it's Dots?

Yes and no. Comma to separate the numbers in the list. Dots to mark the decimal place in the number.

Editing the XML file is really messy. I give up and ban this plugin for now.

As an example , the authors of this plugin could help us by adding a space between the number so comma not followed by a space is a decimal mark and must be replaced by a dot.