Is it nessecary to have Windows instead of 8.1?

Hello,

I want to confirm if it is nessecary to have Windows 8.

I read the requirements and it said to atleast hae Windos 8.1.

Please reply for some assistance in my matter.

If anyone was wondering I have a Toshiba Satellite C875

With Windows 8  Obviously.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-3110M CPU @ 2.40GHz 2.40GHz Processor

64-bit Operating System

I think I am stupid for having this question posted.

Hi @Tecknoz and welcome.  ?

If you are asking about running Paint.Net then the requirements are Windows 10 and PDN version 4.0.21 (the latest), if you need help on a specific PDN issue.

PDN runs on Windows 7, 8 and 8.1, but Rick Brewster recommends everyone to upgrade to Windows 10, if possible.

• 4 months later...

The fact that the Windows 8.1 upgrade is free, and that Windows has support only for the Windows Defender updates, does not make the upgrade mandatory. Windows 8.1 introduces some backward interface changes that I dislike a lot -- to me, Windows 8 is such an elegant interface. It is regrettable that Paint.NET rejects Windows 8, and, borrowing Brewster's words, there is no reason to do that, since you supported it until 4.0.19!

Edited by LOCO GATO
content was unclear

5 hours ago, LOCO GATO said:

It is regrettable that Paint.NET rejects Windows 8, and, borrowing Brewster's words, there is no reason to do that, since you supported it until 4.0.19!

Huh?

Look at what Brewster said:

On 6/18/2018 at 12:01 PM, Rick Brewster said:

Not even Microsoft supports Windows 8 anymore.

MS are continuing, just about, to support Win7 but Win8 was a Vista scale mistake only really resolved by Win10, which itself is still work in progress. 8.1 was/is just a stop gap upgrade but considered by most users as pretty much essential if not updating to Win10, the best advice.

When they gave up trying to trick or force people to update to Win10 updating to Win10 from older OS was made 'free' until December last year. There are apparently still legal methods which MS have not blocked to do that even now. I guess that if you're not willing to try this wait long enough MS might reintroduce that option as they remove support for their older OS. They certainly do love trying to identify us non-Win10 users with their regular re-releases of sneaky 'telemetry' gathering monthly updates.

I still use PDN occasionally on a WinXP VM without any issues although, of course, I have to use an old version as PDN support for XP ended with PDN v3.5.11.

How long will PDN support Win7 that's something I'd like to know?

IHaveNoName.png

7 hours ago, LOCO GATO said:

It is regrettable that Paint.NET rejects Windows 8, and, borrowing Brewster's words, there is no reason to do that, since you supported it until 4.0.19!

That's not what I said. And, 4.0.19 is not "supported". Only the latest version ever is.

.NET Framework 4.7 doesn't install on Windows 8.

Paint.NET requires .NET Framework 4.7.

Therefore, Paint.NET cannot run on Windows 8.

QED.

If you want to stick with outdated software then that's your right, but stop griping about it when others don't agree with you.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg