Image Umbrella: Realistic Images

david.atwell

@Possum

Love the 'spider' concept, and I like your arachnid. Couple of things I noticed though. You have a cool shadow on the wall, but no corrisponding lighting on this side of the spider.

Also the bottom reflection should meet any feet that are touching the ground. Particularly noticible on the near side feet.

@Xander, great start on the sabre. Look forward to seeing the finished image.

@Yellowman I love the watermellon. I don't think you need to do anything to it, it's brilliant.

@Possum

Love the 'spider' concept, and I like your arachnid. Couple of things I noticed though. You have a cool shadow on the wall, but no corrisponding lighting on this side of the spider.

Also the bottom reflection should meet any feet that are touching the ground. Particularly noticible on the near side feet.

@Yellowman I love the watermellon. I don't think you need to do anything to it, it's brilliant.

Heh heh, yeah, I tried and tried to figure out the reflection and I never did get it right. I didn't like the way the water reflection looked and the wet floor reflection didn't look right either. I tried the Reflection plug-in and it kept hanging or didn't produce a reflection. So I figured I would try to do it myself. I think the blur looks right on the reflection but I just could not get the legs to line up. This is only the second non-plugin reflection I have done and the other was pretty straight forward text. This guy has a lot of legs to deal with. :lol: I would appreciate any suggestions !

SAC, WOTW and Photo Manip Competition Host

To visit the Comps click HERE

@Possum

Heh heh, yeah, I tried and tried to figure out the reflection and I never did get it right. I didn't like the way the water reflection looked and the wet floor reflection didn't look right either. I tried the Reflection plug-in and it kept hanging or didn't produce a reflection. So I figured I would try to do it myself. I think the blur looks right on the reflection but I just could not get the legs to line up. This is only the second non-plugin reflection I have done and the other was pretty straight forward text. This guy has a lot of legs to deal with. :lol: I would appreciate any suggestions !

Possum, Goonfella, thanks for your suggestions. I was thinking maybe some blurring or smudging would desolidify the beam a little. I suppose right now it looks like a Spencer's Gifts product. I'll fix the background, too, to at least move the backlight off of the beam. Does anybody have any suggestions for tapered polygons? I'd like to put a short flared cone off the bottom of the handle, like the shape of a shuttle's rocket.

I would extend it a little too. The beam needs to be a little longer.

This is something I did Friday night. I know some of you will say it's not a realistic looking spider. Oh but it is a realistic looking ROBOT spider !

th_RedSpiderRobot.png

Spider's body have 2 parts not 3, as for reflection...if you have all the parts on their own layer.

Then can do, if not..better luck next time.

Could you not just duplicate the spider, flip vertically , move into position and apply a transparent linear gradient to fade out the reflection a bit?

No and yes.

The_next_thousand_words_by_0_ASH_0.png

All creations Ash + Paint.NET [ Googlepage | deviantArt | Club PDN | PDN Fan ]

Possum, Goonfella, thanks for your suggestions. I was thinking maybe some blurring or smudging would desolidify the beam a little. I suppose right now it looks like a Spencer's Gifts product. I'll fix the background, too, to at least move the backlight off of the beam. Does anybody have any suggestions for tapered polygons? I'd like to put a short flared cone off the bottom of the handle, like the shape of a shuttle's rocket.

I would extend it a little too. The beam needs to be a little longer.

This is something I did Friday night. I know some of you will say it's not a realistic looking spider. Oh but it is a realistic looking ROBOT spider !

th_RedSpiderRobot.png

Spider's body have 2 parts not 3, as for reflection...if you have all the parts on their own layer.

Then can do, if not..better luck next time.

Could you not just duplicate the spider, flip vertically , move into position and apply a transparent linear gradient to fade out the reflection a bit?

No and yes.

@ Goonfella - Yes, that is what I had originally done. Except I used Gaussian blur and transparency. That did not work. I really thought it would. I'm thinking that it is because the spider has multiple parts. Also there are other issues I didn't think of until I did it the new way. See my reply to Ash below.

@ Ash - you are so correct. I Googled spider anatomy and it does appear that the head is on the thorax, so there are only two parts and not three.

Yes all parts of the spider are on their own layer. This made it easy to correct the anatomical inaccuracies. It did not make creating the reflection much easier. I did realize an additional problem though. They eyes would not be in the reflection since they are on the top of the spider's head. So What I have done is to use the water reflection for each part of the spider and merged those layers into a single reflected image. I then opened the original drawing and replaced the spider, the reflection and the shadow. But even then I could not get the reflection to match up with the spider. So what I did was to use the layer rotate/zoom and rotate the reflection, then blur it, and make it more transparent. The reflection is not as sharp as I would have liked, but it does match up better with the modified spider. Thanks for the tips ! The only think I can think of that would be really correct would be to draw a second spider as the reflection but shown from the underside of the spider. At this point, that is really beyond my capabilities to plan such a large complex piece of work.

Anyway here is the modified robot spider. :D

RedSpiderRobot_New2.png

@ Goonfella - Yes, that is what I had originally done. Except I used Gaussian blur and transparency. That did not work. I really thought it would. I'm thinking that it is because the spider has multiple parts. Also there are other issues I didn't think of until I did it the new way. See my reply to Ash below.

@ Ash - you are so correct. I Googled spider anatomy and it does appear that the head is on the thorax, so there are only two parts and not three.

Yes all parts of the spider are on their own layer. This made it easy to correct the anatomical inaccuracies. It did not make creating the reflection much easier. I did realize an additional problem though. They eyes would not be in the reflection since they are on the top of the spider's head. So What I have done is to use the water reflection for each part of the spider and merged those layers into a single reflected image. I then opened the original drawing and replaced the spider, the reflection and the shadow. But even then I could not get the reflection to match up with the spider. So what I did was to use the layer rotate/zoom and rotate the reflection, then blur it, and make it more transparent. The reflection is not as sharp as I would have liked, but it does match up better with the modified spider. Thanks for the tips ! The only think I can think of that would be really correct would be to draw a second spider as the reflection but shown from the underside of the spider. At this point, that is really beyond my capabilities to plan such a large complex piece of work.

RedSpiderRobot_New2.png

th_RedSpiderRobot_New2.png

I studied about spiders a lot a long time ago... :shock:

Anyways.. it does look a bit better now, are you willing to keep working on this piece or are you happy with it as it is now?

And want to move on?

th_RedSpiderRobot_New2.png

Anyways.. it does look a bit better now, are you willing to keep working on this piece or are you happy with it as it is now?

And want to move on?

@Possum - So you've mastered the robot spider at this point. (Incidentally, the reflection is awesome, though I know what it means to be picky about your own work in any medium.) May I challenge you with the robot fly? :)

Ha, I looked again and had to remark on the nice wood grain baseboard, too. That's an amazing texture.

I'm sure by now you all are getting tired of seeing my lightsabers, but I think I finally nailed it this time, more or less. I've followed some previous suggestions on lighting the beam and have a simpler but more "realistic" beam of light now. The handle is essentially done unless I try to contour the white spaces in the lower portion. Since the image is too big for the forum, here's a preview and link:

thTheObiWan_thumbnail.png

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p109 ... ObiWan.png

Okay, this is frustrating. I double checked the link I gave you all and photobucket's showing a truncated version of my picture, meaning it's all :AntiAliasingOff: now. If you'd like to see the correct version, you may have to go to my album, open the bloody picture, then tell it to view at normal size:

http://s126.photobucket.com/albums/p109/didgeboy/

Sorry about the inconvenience, y'all.

galactic_military_sig2.png

@Possum - So you've mastered the robot spider at this point. (Incidentally, the reflection is awesome, though I know what it means to be picky about your own work in any medium.) May I challenge you with the robot fly? :)

Ha, I looked again and had to remark on the nice wood grain baseboard, too. That's an amazing texture.

I'm sure by now you all are getting tired of seeing my lightsabers, but I think I finally nailed it this time, more or less. I've followed some previous suggestions on lighting the beam and have a simpler but more "realistic" beam of light now. The handle is essentially done unless I try to contour the white spaces in the lower portion. Since the image is too big for the forum, here's a preview and link:

thTheObiWan_thumbnail.png

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p109 ... ObiWan.png

Okay, this is frustrating. I double checked the link I gave you all and photobucket's showing a truncated version of my picture, meaning it's all :AntiAliasingOff: now. If you'd like to see the correct version, you may have to go to my album, open the bloody picture, then tell it to view at normal size:

http://s126.photobucket.com/albums/p109/didgeboy/

Sorry about the inconvenience, y'all.

galactic_military_sig2.png

@ Ash - you are so correct. .....

And want to move on?

Thank you.

That depends on what you have in mind.

I am never happy with something I do. No matter what other people think, I can always look at something I made and find even the tiniest of flaws or things I wish I had done differently. All I can do is to find peace with something I did and let it be. To me it is just a step to another place. Which brings me back to my initial reply. Do you have something in mind that will be another step forward? If so, yes, I would like the spider to be better and I am always looking to learn.

And want to move on?

Thank you.

I am never happy with something I do. No matter what other people think, I can always look at something I made and find even the tiniest of flaws or things I wish I had done differently. All I can do is to find peace with something I did and let it be. To me it is just a step to another place. Which brings me back to my initial reply. Do you have something in mind that will be another step forward? If so, yes, I would like the spider to be better and I am always looking to learn.

And want to move on?

Thank you.

Some simple hints, not so simple task.

Take most of the parts, :Vertical: , rearrange them.

If you want perfection, some times a plugin or two is not enough, you gotta work hard the old fashion way.

Make it yourself.

Good luck.

If you want, you can also send the PDN file to me and I'll have a look at it when I have more time.

And want to move on?

Thank you.

If you want perfection, some times a plugin or two is not enough, you gotta work hard the old fashion way.

Make it yourself.

Good luck.

If you want, you can also send the PDN file to me and I'll have a look at it when I have more time.

Anyway here is the modified robot spider. :D .

Make it yourself.

Good luck.

I agree. The more I learn in PdN the more I realize that you need more than skill with the plug-ins. This reflection is a case in point. The only solution is the old fashion way, so to speak.

The spider originally had every part (individual pieces) on separate layers, down the the individual eyes. That is no longer the case. In my attempt to redo the reflection I merged layers into several body parts. Still a large number of layers, but no longer able to dismantle the spider to do what I believe you are alluding to. Am I correct in my previous statement that the best way to create this complex of a reflection would be to draw a second spider but in the reverse perspective? Honestly, that is the only solution that I can think of.

I think I will do another spider, plan better, work harder, but this one is done. I have the original body parts and will start over and work to make the next one better.

Perfection? I am a possum you know. :D

Anyway here is the modified robot spider. :D .

Make it yourself.

Good luck.

I agree. The more I learn in PdN the more I realize that you need more than skill with the plug-ins. This reflection is a case in point. The only solution is the old fashion way, so to speak.

The spider originally had every part (individual pieces) on separate layers, down the the individual eyes. That is no longer the case. In my attempt to redo the reflection I merged layers into several body parts. Still a large number of layers, but no longer able to dismantle the spider to do what I believe you are alluding to. Am I correct in my previous statement that the best way to create this complex of a reflection would be to draw a second spider but in the reverse perspective? Honestly, that is the only solution that I can think of.

I think I will do another spider, plan better, work harder, but this one is done. I have the original body parts and will start over and work to make the next one better.

Perfection? I am a possum you know. :D

Keep in mind the shadow too. Your current spider piece has a shadow just on the wall.. which isn't right. the shadow should go from the bottom of each legs, and towards the wall. once it meets the wall it should distort so that the shadow climbs up. You'd have to do this manually like the reflection to get a good result. ;)

Hope the pic explains it better

shadowk.png

Merry Christmas

.::.My Gallery.::.Make Gold Text!.::.

Keep in mind the shadow too. Your current spider piece has a shadow just on the wall.. which isn't right. the shadow should go from the bottom of each legs, and towards the wall. once it meets the wall it should distort so that the shadow climbs up. You'd have to do this manually like the reflection to get a good result. ;)

shadowk.png

Merry Christmas

.::.My Gallery.::.Make Gold Text!.::.

shadowk.png

Yes, I see. I think the next spider will be black, in a dark room, with the blinds drawn. :lol: J/K ! Yes I think that would look much better. That will be difficult for my little brain to figure out, but I'll give it a shot. Remember, I've only been doing this since February. Ok, there again, not something that can be done with just a couple of plug-ins. This will take more planning.

Also, I believe I still need to address this issue

"pophiri wrote:@Possum

Love the 'spider' concept, and I like your arachnid. Couple of things I noticed though. You have a cool shadow on the wall, but no corrisponding lighting on this side of the spider."

OK, I think I've got it now. Let's all meet back here same time next year and maybe I'll have my next spider done. :lol: Again, just kidding. I think I will have to put the scorpion on hold for a while. Ooh, wouldn't that be cool? The spider fighting the scorpion? (Ok, for future reference).

Thanks guys for all your help ! I appreciate the advice. Wow, I have to admit, this is a tall order. I'll give it my best shot.

Now does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get over this flu bug? I've been sick as a dog since Saturday.

shadowk.png

Yes, I see. I think the next spider will be black, in a dark room, with the blinds drawn. :lol: J/K ! Yes I think that would look much better. That will be difficult for my little brain to figure out, but I'll give it a shot. Remember, I've only been doing this since February. Ok, there again, not something that can be done with just a couple of plug-ins. This will take more planning.

Also, I believe I still need to address this issue

"pophiri wrote:@Possum

Love the 'spider' concept, and I like your arachnid. Couple of things I noticed though. You have a cool shadow on the wall, but no corrisponding lighting on this side of the spider."

OK, I think I've got it now. Let's all meet back here same time next year and maybe I'll have my next spider done. :lol: Again, just kidding. I think I will have to put the scorpion on hold for a while. Ooh, wouldn't that be cool? The spider fighting the scorpion? (Ok, for future reference).

Thanks guys for all your help ! I appreciate the advice. Wow, I have to admit, this is a tall order. I'll give it my best shot.

Now does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get over this flu bug? I've been sick as a dog since Saturday.