Make some Gold Text!

LFC4EVER

This tutorial is available as a PDF. Click here to view or download it

Make some Gold Text!

NOTE: Some knowledge of Paint.NET may be required, and some knowledge of using Alpha Mask helps.

Want to make some pretty cool text like this?

Gold_Text1.png

You do? Well, read on!

Plugins Needed:

Align Object

Alpha Mask - See here for more information on Alpha Mask: Clicky!

Multi-color Gradient

Outline Object

Panelling

The Method:

• [*:33ad8grh]Open a new image (Ctrl+N) at a fairly large size. I used 1500x300.
    Add a radial gradient :GradientTool::RadialGradient: background, using Hex: #543600 as your primary colour, and Hex: #161300 as your secondary colour. If you don't know where to insert the colour codes, just click on the "More" button in the colours window, and type or copy and paste them into the "Hex:" field. You should have something similar to this:

Gold_Text2.png

[*:33ad8grh]Now, add a new layer :AddNewLayer: and name it "text mask". With white as your primary colour type your text in (all in capital letters). Using a font like Times New Roman gives good results, and try to use a size that covers most of the canvas. Then, Effects > Align Object. Apply these settings: Under the Both option, click the middle button(it should be the circle and at the bottom of the plugin it should say Middle Center). Your text should be nicely aligned in the middle of your canvas.
Then add a new layer :AddNewLayer: , move it directly below :Down: the "text mask" layer and fill it with black. Image > Flatten :Flatten: (Ctrl + Shift + F). Your mask should look like this:

Gold_Text3.png

Save it (Filename - text mask, Filetype - .png) somewhere like My Documents or Desktop, just make sure you know where you saved it. Then Ctrl + Z, to undo the flatten. You should be able to see your 3 layers again after you've removed the flatten.
[*:33ad8grh]You can delete :Delete: your black background layer, you won't be needing that now. Now on your "text mask" layer, apply Effects > Object > Outline Object:
Width: 1
Softness: Anything less than 250.
Color: Black (R: 0, G: 0, B: 0)
All other setting default.
You should have a thin black outline around your text, like this:

Gold_Text4.png

Add a new layer :AddNewLayer: and call it "Gold Text". This will be the actual colour of the text.
Select the "text mask" layer and using the magic wand tool :MagicWandTool: : Tolerance<50, Flood Mode: Global select the outside of the text, by clicking anywhere on the canvas, but not on the text itself. Then Invert Selection (Ctrl+I). Next, select the "Gold Text" layer and apply Effects > Render > Multicolour Gradient:
Use these settings:

Gold_Text5.png

De-select (Ctrl+D) :Deselect:
Delete :Delete: the text mask layer, then, Effects > Object > Alpha Mask: load your mask file. Tick the Mix Alpha button and click OK! You should now have neat, anti-aliased gradient text like this:

Gold_Text6.png

[*:33ad8grh]Duplicate :DuplicateLayer: the "Gold Text" layer 3 times. Re-name the layers so it looks like this:

Gold_Text7.png

Now to apply some Bevel to the text. So..
For the "Light Bevel" layer:
Effects > Drop Shadow:
Offset X: 4
Offset Y: 0
Widening Radius: 0
Blur Radius: 0
Color: White
Uncheck the "Keep Original Image" box.
Then, Effects > Object > Alpha Mask:
Load the mask file, and make sure the "Invert Mask" box is ticked.
Then, Effects > Distort > Panelling:
Move Vertical: 0
Move Horizontal: -4
Then, Effects > Blurs > Gaussian Blur:
Radius: 2
Load the mask file, and make sure the "Invert Mask" box isn't ticked.
Then, apply a blend mode on the layer. Layers > Layer Properties (F4) :Properties: , or double click the layer. Set the blend mode to "Overlay".
This is what it should look like so far:

Gold_Text8.png

For the "Dark Bevel" layer:
Effects > Drop Shadow:
Offset X: -4
Blur Radius: 0
Color: Black
Load the mask file, and make sure the "Invert Mask" box is ticked.
Then, Effects > Distort > Panelling:
Move Vertical: 0
Move Horizontal: 3
Then, Effects > Blurs > Gaussian Blur:
Radius: 2
Load the mask file, and make sure the "Invert Mask" box isn't ticked.
Then, apply a blend mode on the layer. Layers > Layer Properties (F4) :Properties: , or double click the layer. Set the blend mode to "Reflect".
You should end up with this:

Gold_Text9.png

Now, we're nearly done so don't give up yet!
For the "Shadow" layer:
Effects > Drop Shadow:
Offset X: 0
Blur Radius: 10
Color: Black
Optional:
Then, apply a blend mode on the layer. Layers > Layer Properties (F4) :Properties: , or double click the layer. Set the blend mode to "Reflect".
It should now be looking like this:

Gold_Text10.png

Well, guess what!? All you need to do now is save the .pdn of the text (just incase). Then Flatten (Ctrl+Shift+F) :Flatten: , Resize(Ctrl+R) :Resize: and set the percentage to 50%.

Gold_Text11.png

Save it as a .png and post it here! :)

Result:

Gold_Text1.png

If you had any problem following this tutorial, then feel free to post and ask for help. I also hope that by following this tutorial you learnt something new; big or small. I also encourage you to try out different figures and colours to create maybe Silver Text? or Ruby? or Sapphire? or Emerald?

• Upvote 1

Merry Christmas

.::.My Gallery.::.Make Gold Text!.::.

Sweet, thanks a lot for doing this tutorial. Really means a lot, and I learned a lot more...(also about a new plugin that I haven't heard of - Multi-Color Gradient)...thanks!

I will have to try this out very soon, cannot wait :D

deviantART | Paint.NET Gallery | bennettfrazier.com <-- (My new Website!)

Sweet, thanks a lot for doing this tutorial. Really means a lot, and I learned a lot more...(also about a new plugin that I haven't heard of - Multi-Color Gradient)...thanks!

I will have to try this out very soon, cannot wait :D

No problem, and hopefully the tut should teach you more than a new plugin. :wink:

Wow, looks really cool :D

Thanks!

Excellent tut. :D I've learnt a lot and the result is amazing. Will post pics soon!

Thanks. Glad you learnt a lot, and i'll look forward to your result. :wink:

Merry Christmas

Nice result! :wink:

I'd make the shadow less visible, and the background darker. It'll help show the text clearly. Also, try applying the bevel to the text. Step 4 in the tut. :wink:

Nice tutorial! Took me a while to achieve a decent result but it was worth it :P

Is that because the tutorial is a bit confusing? Should i add more images?

Merry Christmas

Is that because the tutorial is a bit confusing?

YES! :lol: But It's a really nice effect!

linkzsigew9.png

´

I'm still kind of new to paint.net, so i probably

stink at painting from your point of view. If you tell me that I stink, you'll

be 10 seconds away from turning into a pile of meat. MOHAHAHAHA!!!im not crazy

My new Siggy :D

Ecofrog.png

Its the button for me =D

buttonsig.png

My Quote:

For all that are Dull & Grey go Grey & Dull

This has to be the most classy font tutorial I have ever seen. I love it, and it will suit nicely for a bunch of my new projects. Thank you very much LFC4EVER.

Edit: Here is my Try at it. I'm gonna try to use webdings next :)

Edit #2: I Webdings Look GREAT!

rcja85.jpg4lkadv.jpg

wgurlu.png

This has to be the most classy font tutorial I have ever seen. I love it, and it will suit nicely for a bunch of my new projects. Thank you very much LFC4EVER.

Your welcome, and no problem. :)

Merry Christmas

Ecofrog, xCoRt3zx, Frenzy, jiZer, loky and Ocho, great job on the outcomes! I like the fact that some of you added your own effect to the text and didn't just follow the tut. :)

JiZer, where did you go wrong? I'm sure i can help (unless its plugin issues :P ).

Thanks for the tut.

How would I use this gold text to add text to a photo that I have?

Any help.

Toby

Instead of flattening with the background, flatten without it. Just uncheck the checkbox on the background layer, then flatten. Then copy and paste it on top of your photo, resizing it if needed.

Merry Christmas

Cool, here's my try:

silver.png

Silver :P

EDIT:

ruby.png

Another one, this time ruby :wink:

EDIT 2:

emerald.png

saphire.png

There, made all the other ones listed. Lol, I was bored..

Will make one when not lazy. :P

Wow...I'm jealous. Mine totally goes bad when I do the bevels. The colors change - even the background!

Oh well. I'll step through it from the top later.

Nice effect, though!

• 2 weeks later...