Image Umbrella: Realistic Images

david.atwell

I like how you made the blade and the blood, rings...need some work.

Thank you, as you're saying it, it means much. What might you mean by "needs some work"? I adjusted the hue and smoothened out the completely black spots (and they've now got a subtle shadow); might there be anything else that needs attending to?:P

everythingfadestogreysi.png

Please forgive my possible complaints. I'm but an annoying little perfectionist when it comes to using english...

"I tremble in the presence of your terrifying skills of gardening."

Thank you, as you're saying it, it means much. What might you mean by "needs some work"? I adjusted the hue and smoothened out the completely black spots (and they've now got a subtle shadow); might there be anything else that needs attending to?:P

Please forgive my possible complaints. I'm but an annoying little perfectionist when it comes to using english...

@ EscapistAngel Wicked ! I like the way you did the blood and the blade. I saw this the day you posted it and thought that it needed to be lightened. It's much better now, you can see the detail and the work you put into it. Very nice. It would make a good album cover.

This is something I've been working on for a while. It has things from other pieces that I did in the past with the thought in mind to put them in a much larger piece. This is 100% PdN with no stock images used (* See Edit comments) . Everything was "painted" (* See Edit comments) and built into the overall image. The final image (pdn) is twice the size of this flattened version so I'm hoping that some of the detail isn't lost in the reduction.

* EDIT: I changed the stuff on the wall and used a stock image to get the Indiana Torch and Stars.

TheChamber.png

SAC, WOTW and Photo Manip Competition Host

To visit the Comps click HERE

@ EscapistAngel Wicked ! I like the way you did the blood and the blade. I saw this the day you posted it and thought that it needed to be lightened. It's much better now, you can see the detail and the work you put into it. Very nice. It would make a good album cover.

This is something I've been working on for a while. It has things from other pieces that I did in the past with the thought in mind to put them in a much larger piece. This is 100% PdN with no stock images used (* See Edit comments) . Everything was "painted" (* See Edit comments) and built into the overall image. The final image (pdn) is twice the size of this flattened version so I'm hoping that some of the detail isn't lost in the reduction.

* EDIT: I changed the stuff on the wall and used a stock image to get the Indiana Torch and Stars.

TheChamber.png

TheChamber.png

TheChamber.png

Beautiful work here, however there are a couple of problems with the lighting and shading. The silver spiders look as if you just applied gradients with no regard to the light coming from the moon. For example, on the back part of the silver spiders, it is dark on top and light on the bottom, but on the front part, it is light on top and dark on the bottom. Kinda doesn't make sense at that angle. The perspective could use some work as well.

But other than those issues, it looks great. I especially love how you did the folds on the curtains.

AbstractSmudgeZCTv2.png

Beautiful work here, however there are a couple of problems with the lighting and shading. The silver spiders look as if you just applied gradients with no regard to the light coming from the moon. For example, on the back part of the silver spiders, it is dark on top and light on the bottom, but on the front part, it is light on top and dark on the bottom. Kinda doesn't make sense at that angle. The perspective could use some work as well.

But other than those issues, it looks great. I especially love how you did the folds on the curtains.

AbstractSmudgeZCTv2.png

AbstractSmudgeZCTv2.png

AbstractSmudgeZCTv2.png

Thanks. The silver spiders were originally black but were too dark for the floor and didn't look right so I inverted the colors and changed the luminosity with curves and made them silver-ish. I liked the way they looked but I see your point. I tried to change them by adding a gradient over the black spot. But at this point there is not much I can do other than to replace them altogether. I tried other colors but they just didn't look right with the other parts of the image. What part of the perspective is wrong? I thought I did a pretty good job in getting things to line up. That wasn't easy because almost everything is on a separate layer, the walls, each piece of trim, each spider, even the shadows. After reading some comments in my gallery I made some changes and reduced the lighting in the room and changed the reflections and added more shadows. Here is the reworked image.

TheChamberAtNight.png

Thanks. The silver spiders were originally black but were too dark for the floor and didn't look right so I inverted the colors and changed the luminosity with curves and made them silver-ish. I liked the way they looked but I see your point. I tried to change them by adding a gradient over the black spot. But at this point there is not much I can do other than to replace them altogether. I tried other colors but they just didn't look right with the other parts of the image. What part of the perspective is wrong? I thought I did a pretty good job in getting things to line up. That wasn't easy because almost everything is on a separate layer, the walls, each piece of trim, each spider, even the shadows. After reading some comments in my gallery I made some changes and reduced the lighting in the room and changed the reflections and added more shadows. Here is the reworked image.

TheChamberAtNight.png

TheChamberAtNight.png

TheChamberAtNight.png

I'm finally back with a new, decent picture, but first, the props . . .

@Welshblue - The image reminds me of something out of FarCry with the guns and crates and beach scene. :) It's funny how the little details impress the most. I could picture putting together the crates but the little moldy part on the bottom was slick. Definitely a nice, noteworthy touch . . . you know, other than the guns and the dolphins and the water effects.

@EscapistAngel - We seem to have a nice subgroup of artists here who are striving to create better and better blood effects. :) Yours are excellent along with the blade and the gliph on the blade was a nice touch as well.

@Goonfella - I'm preparing to counter your guitars with my own. ;) I started working on one and soon enough saw you had a pair posted. Grr, still, excellent post. :) My only critique would be on the dimensions of the guitars themselves. The soundholes seem a little large for the size of the guitar and the sides of the body that push inward too much, or if not too much then too high. Otherwise, the other parts look great as well as the music background.

@Possum - Clearly, I'm too slow on the draw here. I start a guitar and Goonfella makes 2. I make a flag and you've got two impressive curtains in your Arabian Nights scene. I was reminded of the story of the woman in the "1001 Arabian Nights" who was forced to continually come up with new stories. I imagined she thought of this when she was nearly out of ideas. "I know! Robot spiders!" :) I do like the darker version since it fits with the twilight setting. However, I'd love to see a light source, like a torch inside the room throwing some light around. My only other critique is on the spiders themselves. I think you could stand to drop one of the red spiders because it stands out that they're the same. I'd say either drop one, or if you can, adjust even one or two legs of say, the closest spider so it looks different. Oh, the marble effect on the floor and fountain were spectacular. Polished and beautiful.

Okay, so here's mine in honor of our club's foray into the online RPG today:

flagshipproject.png

I may have to add another light source so the direction of the shadow behind the flag makes sense.

galactic_military_sig2.png

@Welshblue - The image reminds me of something out of FarCry with the guns and crates and beach scene. :) It's funny how the little details impress the most. I could picture putting together the crates but the little moldy part on the bottom was slick. Definitely a nice, noteworthy touch . . . you know, other than the guns and the dolphins and the water effects.

@EscapistAngel - We seem to have a nice subgroup of artists here who are striving to create better and better blood effects. :) Yours are excellent along with the blade and the gliph on the blade was a nice touch as well.

@Goonfella - I'm preparing to counter your guitars with my own. ;) I started working on one and soon enough saw you had a pair posted. Grr, still, excellent post. :) My only critique would be on the dimensions of the guitars themselves. The soundholes seem a little large for the size of the guitar and the sides of the body that push inward too much, or if not too much then too high. Otherwise, the other parts look great as well as the music background.

@Possum - Clearly, I'm too slow on the draw here. I start a guitar and Goonfella makes 2. I make a flag and you've got two impressive curtains in your Arabian Nights scene. I was reminded of the story of the woman in the "1001 Arabian Nights" who was forced to continually come up with new stories. I imagined she thought of this when she was nearly out of ideas. "I know! Robot spiders!" :) I do like the darker version since it fits with the twilight setting. However, I'd love to see a light source, like a torch inside the room throwing some light around. My only other critique is on the spiders themselves. I think you could stand to drop one of the red spiders because it stands out that they're the same. I'd say either drop one, or if you can, adjust even one or two legs of say, the closest spider so it looks different. Oh, the marble effect on the floor and fountain were spectacular. Polished and beautiful.

flagshipproject.png

I may have to add another light source so the direction of the shadow behind the flag makes sense.

flagshipproject.png

flagshipproject.png

Letters on the rings, needs AA.

The rings looks kinda off, like the metal is twisted or something.

Here is the reworked image.

th_TheChamberAtNight.png

Where to start....Do you mind if I put some notes on your image, a picture is worth a thousand words, you know? :wink:

th_flagshipproject.png

Right side of the flag looks a little stiff, don't you think? A little distort would fix it right up.

Also the clouds behind the flag, can clearly see a black border between the yellow and blue clouds.

Do be afraid to blend them together, many things don't line up in nature.

The_next_thousand_words_by_0_ASH_0.png

All creations Ash + Paint.NET [ Googlepage | deviantArt | Club PDN | PDN Fan ]

th_TheChamberAtNight.png

Where to start....Do you mind if I put some notes on your image, a picture is worth a thousand words, you know? :wink:

th_flagshipproject.png

Right side of the flag looks a little stiff, don't you think? A little distort would fix it right up.

Also the clouds behind the flag, can clearly see a black border between the yellow and blue clouds.

th_TheChamberAtNight.png

th_flagshipproject.png

th_TheChamberAtNight.png

th_flagshipproject.png

th_TheChamberAtNight.png

Uh Oh ! Do you think you'll have enough room? :lol: Yes, please do. I would appreciate your observations and comments !