Sign in to follow this  
barkbark00

Paint.NET is getting noticed!

This rip-off has been done many times. Remember the shareware program called "Sharp Paint" in February? And if you look in Rick's MSDN blog, you'll see another eBay rip of Paint.NET.

Look at the last few results:

http://search.ebay.com/paint-program

Luckily, PDN isn't ripped of as much as GIMP:

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dl ... age+editor

:P

So I was downloading something from download.com and on the right side of the page, they have this section called "More to try" which are other highly rated programs on the site. Right there on the second to top was Paint.NET.

So I went to look on how paint.net was getting rated and stuff, and its still at a 4.5 from the users and also has a 5.0 from the Cnet people. Also, theres just over 1 million downloads. Right now the total is 1,051,237 downloads. The latest verion of the GIMP, added just 6 days after paint.net has 879,245 downloads and a rating of 4.0 from both users and the Cnet people.

I think it's supposed to be impossible to get a 5-star from user reviews. Even just one 4.5/5 will take the average down to 4.5, no matter what the other reviews say. So technically, Paint.NET is a 5-star program!

i dont remember how i found paint.net it think it was like this...

[sarcasim]

i was on google and i searched up pimped out awesome paint software that kills photoshop and GIMP

[/sarcasim]

lol jk

i forgot how i gotz it

Has anyone else mentioned this review? (Propeller)

Seems quite positive. The reviewer even recommends Paint.NET over the copy of Paintshop Pro he bought.

The reviewer could have at least updated :P.

And updates every 1-2 weeks, have I been missing something?

Seriously though, that is a pretty good review there, and well worth this line:

'I paid for my version of Paint Shop Pro. When I bought my new laptop, I didn’t bother re-installing it, but installed Paint.Net.'

Good find CommanderSozo.

Don't forget the 4.6 million+ downloads from BetaNews.

http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/Pa ... 96481993/1

Total downloads of Paint.NET have easily surpassed 10 million. My general rule of counting is 2x the BetaNews count, as that's what I've seen when I was counting from all sources I could find (including auto-updater downloads).

Don't forget the 4.6 million+ downloads from BetaNews.

http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/Pa ... 96481993/1

Total downloads of Paint.NET have easily surpassed 10 million. My general rule of counting is 2x the BetaNews count, as that's what I've seen when I was counting from all sources I could find (including auto-updater downloads).

Wow, that's significantly more than I would have guessed!

I will sound like a programminn\g n00b for a sec:

I installed gimpshop, it looked like GIMP to me, and then after a few days it started crashing and I had to uninstall it. I instaleld GIMP and Paint.NET . The latter has a wonderful interface! Why can't more programs be like that?

Greg Magarshak on May 2, 2007 09:57 PM

I think paint.net will be the photoshop of today in a year or so

As far as I can tell, Rick has no intention of making PdN a Photoshop replacement, and I agree with him 100%. Nobody wants PdN to become the hulking monster that Photoshop is now. On the contrary, we like Paint.NET as the lighweight, fast, community friendly, and easy-to-learn-and-understand image editing program it is!