[SOTW Discussion] Talk inside...

Sozo

• 2 weeks later...

Skullbonz - Sorry to read that you won't be taking part in the sotw comp anymore, your entry in the cityscape comp was excellent, it would be a shame not to have input from you every now and then, I must admit that I have difficulty thinking of an idea sometimes and your right, when you re-size an image, it can lose impact, but your entry scored 5 points, so there is people on here who think your entry is valid :)

I would hate to lose participants in my first week as host. :lol:

• Upvote 1

BREtKQW.png

Well I wrote that before I saw your next comp and also seeing as you put it that way I will give it another go. I have always had a hard time making sigs,not sure but it always seems like I am on the wrong page with the concepts,lol. You are right I did get 5 votes this time so maybe I am slowly getting it. And with the new comp being an explosion of color and how I love colors,maybe I can come up with a good one,lol. But if not,oh well. 

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/21233-skullbonz-art-gallery

DrewDale, it was very tongue in cheek. I participate in the SOTW because I've been doing it for about 3 years or so. It is fun trying to come up with the brief & work in such an odd (for me at least) size.

I am working on my entry...odd that it takes me just as long to do a sig as it does a 1920 x 1080 - sometimes longer even. 

Skullbonz, when I was starting out I asked the question what makes a good sig. Well the younger ones who like to use renders etc, which was a strange concept to me anyway, tried hard to put me on the right track. I look back over the ones I have done & there are many that I still really like but they hardly rated at all. 

Look at the different styles of sigs...from Sasha's deliciously clean one to Minners' ever-changing inventiveness to EERs moody image & Pyro's screaming hate of socks sig...all are different but we like them for different reasons. We can only vote for a few & art is subjective. What we vote on is based on many things, not many of these are quantifiable. Not meeting the brief - the concept...if that is how we see it then what is wrong with that? The entries say: this is how I see the world. There is no right or wrong in that :D

What is really interesting is that I look at the entries with the comps & I think - Well, I never thought of that! Many of the entries lead me to new ways of thinking & viewing the world. That, Skullbonz, is a very vital, essential part of art for me. 

• Upvote 2
THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

Wow Barbie that is exactly how I feel when making a sig. I really don't like the renders type,way too common and your creation revolves around another's creation and i never could see the purpose in those unless you are using them in a game site forum with those characters in the game. I have made many sigs over the last few years but they have all been to my liking and I never payed attention to whether anyone else liked them until now with these comps. I am just not savvy yet to the popular styles and giving up will not help,but continuing will make me learn that and to get over the size thing. You are right,we all have many different styles and I love your descriptions of everyone's styles,lol. You sure hit the nail and me on the head with this post and I am working on a colorful entry as we speak.    :D

Well written Barbieq.

Never made any before I joined up here and I'm still unsure of what I'm making is really what a sig is. I just like making little pictures.

I do like making them and I've learned quite a bit, but I like playing with the tutorials also.

Skullbonez, glad to hear that your working on one.  :)

SloppySig.png

A sig should be a picture who identifies you, a small pic that has a little bit of you in it, your thoughts, your character, your life. 

I think that's what makes everybody's style of art so different, everybody wants to put a little bit of himself, especially his/her mood, in his work and I think that's what makes art such a beautiful thing. And maybe that's why I haven't entered in a SotW comp yet, because it gives borders to your art, so your feelings and thoughts about it, by a, sometimes very tight, theme.

But the theme of this week is quite spacious, you could do lots of things with it, but I haven't seen anything but rainbow-like abstracts :(

Maybe I'll enter this week too, if I have any time to make the sig I have in mind.

Edited by chimay12321
ParaduxSig_zps7c40fba5.png

Thanks guys. I'll take a rep point if you like :P

Skullbonz! Just looked at your entry - ok you can count on my vote for sure. Geez, I hope we get to pick a lot this time. I look at the entries & they are just astounding! Working on mine...

THiGVp.png

April Jones, 2012

Chimay, that's the thing. I haven't developed a style, I don't think, to express myself.

I have noticed that quite a few entrees. for a while now, don't have a name or title of some sort on them. That would make them more sig-like than just a pretty picture. (Just an opinion) :D

• Upvote 1

SloppySig.png

chimay12321 said "I think that's what makes everybody's style of art so different, everybody wants to put a little bit of himself, especially his/her mood, in his work"

That is one of my problems,lol,I have way too much in my head and I am a moody old fart so the sigs tend to be off base,lol.     :D

chimay12321 said "I think that's what makes everybody's style of art so different, everybody wants to put a little bit of himself, especially his/her mood, in his work"

That is one of my problems,lol,I have way too much in my head and I am a moody old fart so the sigs tend to be off base,lol.     :D

In some way the thing you said is to be seen in your work, your work mostly contains an explosion of colours, as in your head: an explosion of thoughts. 

Doughty, I thought that about my work too but there have been many comments that my work was distinctly mine, even when the style was very different. I think you show more expression than realism, like in your red sig for example. Then you had the animated red one which was really cool. One could say that it represented red waves of anger or sorrow over much bloodshed that we see in the world but somewhere in that I also got the feeling of hope despite things looking very bad. Maybe you did not intend any of these things at all but the viewer brings new meaning based on their values, belief system, ethnocentricity, age, life experience, gender & a whole host of other elements that make them uniquely that person. Mood too determines how we perceive an image. Like how we choose what music to listen to or movie to watch because that is the mood we are in. Doughty, you do have a style :D I can see it - it's showing :D

Skullbonz, that means that you are expressing yourself in your art. Nothing wrong with that buddy or being old & moody. AND, you are not that old. I'm practising for when I do get old. My husband & I have a reputation with the little kids around here...go tot hat house, they always treat you with heaps, they donate to your fundraiser for school & they will save you from the nasty big black dogs on the corner when they try to run you down. At the supermarket I have the cranky old woman with a deadly trolley down pat ;D

Doughty, I never knew what to put in with the text but now I do whatever I think fits the image. Could be my name or the theme. For a while we were posting competition without any identifying marks, maybe it stems from that? I like to have a bit of text but I guess that is personal taste too. 

THiGVp.png

April Jones, 2012

But the theme of this week is quite spacious, you could do lots of things with it, but I haven't seen anything but rainbow-like abstracts :(

I like rainbow abstracts - they are a little part of me - that's why I used one as part of the Color Explosion comp.

Seriously, this is meant to be a fun competition.  I had fun throwing together an entry this time when I don't usually have enough time.  You are free to submit an entry of your liking...

• Upvote 3

I like rainbow abstracts - they are a little part of me - that's why I used one as part of the Color Explosion comp.

Seriously, this is meant to be a fun competition.  I had fun throwing together an entry this time when I don't usually have enough time.  You are free to submit an entry of your liking...

My apologies if you took that as a direct attack against 'rainbow abstracts', that wasn't my intention. I think you should really go on making rainbow abstracts if you like them, I like them too in a way, but to me there's not much variation in them, unless you have a whole other point of view.

And I don't see where I made an attack against the fun of the comp? Of course its first and most important goal is to be fun. 

Edited by chimay12321

Just saying we're entering for enjoyment.  Whichever form the entry takes.  You get to vote to tell us which you like best.

• Upvote 2

The first thing I thought of for Explosion of Colour was rainbow. After a number of trials, I have an entry.

But now my shoulder hurts more. I don't know what I did to begin with - something stupid, probably - but spending so much time on the computer aggravated it. So if you like my entry, don't bother voting for it, just send me some Advil. :P

Raspberries, hit the wrong button last night and wiped out my reply.

Barbieq, once again, so eloquent. But, the one with the red waves is Midora's and yes very evocative.

In the contests, I just like to title my entry in someway.

Chimay, the link given for inspiration has mostly abstracts, maybe we were influenced by that. So, how about a colorful kitty? B)

SloppySig.png