[SOTW Discussion] Talk inside...

Sozo

I was using a couple of pyrochilds plugins in PDN4 while making the sig, for some reason i found it hilarious when they crashed and i had to start again! Oh the irony! 

what no my plugins don't crash ever

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

I was gonna enter - but it would be EGO-tistical of me :lol:

• Upvote 3

@HELEN  and dug: Thanks guys. But it's nothing new. Just pieces of my sigs put in one. :)

---- Gallery | Sig Tutorial | deviantART | Sig Videos | PhotoBucket ----

D                  E                  S                  T                  I                 N                  Y

But how many people know who has been past mods? I wouldn't know and I'm sure a lot of the members around now wouldn't either. 

Crazy Man Dan (CMD)

Myrddin

And I think oma used to be a mod. I don't remember.

---- Gallery | Sig Tutorial | deviantART | Sig Videos | PhotoBucket ----

D                  E                  S                  T                  I                 N                  Y

She showed up in the PDN4 preview forum the other day!

• Upvote 1

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

:lol:

I made one for you instead :)

Sweet of you Sasha :)  Thanks.  I suppose after my Alice entry I left myself open for a response :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
I've always wondered about that rule.  

Good on you chimay12321 for taking control and showing these entrants who's da boss! :)

@ welshy: Yes, maybe it was just a kind of a bold action... I've always been kinda annoyed by that rule... Don't you know that moment when you submit an entry and 5 minutes later a great idea for that image pops up in your mind?? I've had that half of the SOTW's I've entered... 

@ EER: I'm not trying to be a dictator of the sig making industry of PDN or something :P 

@ LLoyd: I used no other program than PDN. 

Render: http://www.animerender.com/uploads/1293446698/gallery_76589_1_73877.png

BG: http://www.mediafire.com/download/4sy6btuj0tx2qhn/50+BG+Stocks.rar

Effects: AR Community Pack 2 (can't show you that one, you've to be member of the AnimeRender forums for that)

I only use stock images (Renders, stocks, C4D's, etc.) from animerender.com and various packs made by AR members, those are made by the AR community to use in GFX, so I violated no ©

Edited by chimay12321
ParaduxSig_zps7c40fba5.png

Well, there's no rule you may not use pre-made components. 

There's only a rule you may not use an outside image editor and I didn't do that. 

But of course rules can be changed if the community likes it that way.

But you would ban out a whole branch of sig making that way, the branch of render sigs, especially the subcategory of C4D sigs or photo manipulation sigs. You may think it's different, but I think manipulating existing images in an editor (PDN) is just as much 'working with PDN' or a 'Paint.net sig' as making a sig from scratch only using PDN and your mouse. 

This is a subjective case and I'll listen to your feedback. If many people agree with you and they also want to set a limit to using pre-made images in the entries (maybe even prohibit the use of pre-made images), they should speak up and I'll change the rules according to your liking.

• Upvote 1

Not to heat up my frying pan again but I have to side with Lloyd on this.  Rule #6 says it all.

Edited by skullbonz

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/21233-skullbonz-art-gallery

I do not have an issue or problem with anyone using things that are pre-made, I do have a problem with people pasting a stack of renders from everywhere and entering a competition with them. Some entries have used stocks, but they have used them in a creative way.  

It seems that under a new host this competition is turning into a "Rules will be broken when the host see's fit to do so" 

And for the record I did not state that I would ban C4D sigs or photo manipulation sigs. I have used stocks in the past. 

Edited by Lloyd

iNUIdNo.jpg

For something close to 5 years I have been entering this comp (never won) under all of the aforementioned hosts & there have been many discussions on render sigs not really being art at all. It could also be argued that photography is not art either. PDN is an IMAGE EDITOR which also allows us to create images from scratch. 

Seriously, has anyone ever tried to put together a render sig that looks good? It is not as easy as it first appears. 

With any group there is 1. forming (which we have already done), 2. storming - where there are debate, disagreements & compromise, 3. norming - where there is now cohesion & collaboration to follow in a mutual direction 4. performing - where the group gets on with it & production & creativity are at their peak 5. adjourning - the conclusion & disbanding of the group. Stages 2 - 4 can be re-visited many times, as we have done in the past with the change of host/entrants. 

Looks like we are at stage 2. storming where we nut out some more ideas...  This is quite normal & healthy.

Citing the source of stock images should be mandatory as is the case in studies & other serious endeavours, doing otherwise is just stealing. If you do not know the source (as happens, then at least acknowledge it).

Rules do change from comp to comp in regards to ":no stock allowed". 

I'm ok with folk changing their entry up to the voting date & I'm pretty sure we have had that in the past too.

I'm ok with multiple entries from the same entrant but there does need to be a limit set at the start.

Rule 6 is a bit of a new one & referred to Chaoscope, Apophysis, Terragen, Sculptris etc - programs that create images, not stock images. It has kind of lost its meaning a bit with successive hosts & is no longer the issue that it once was.

Welshy, I see we are looking over each other's shoulders again :D

Please let's give Chimay a chance. We have after all a few newish ones in this mix & we don't want to be biting them, do we?

• Upvote 2
THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

Well. Maybe I have a fine solution for the argument we're in here.

You may use stocks as you please, but you MUST say what you used your stocks for (links would be pleasant to see)

If you don't think 'pasting a stack of renders from everywhere and entering a competition with them' is really professional, you just don't vote on that sig in the voting round, that's what's the voting round for, choosing wich sig is 'best' or 'most professional' according to the community and that's what makes this a competition. 

Edited by chimay12321

Paint.NET is an image editor, not an image creator.  As long as no copyrights are being violated, I see no reason that renders should not be used in the contest-at-large.  Maybe there should be another contest for stock-free (100% PdN) entries?

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.