[SOTW Discussion] Talk inside...

Sozo

It used to be a fun competition. It will no longer get my support. 

Seems kind of petty...

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

@ Lloyd: Well, that's a pity, Lloyd, I really liked some of your submissions!  :rain:

@ welshy: It's the good old discussion about sigs that use many stocks not really being 'PDN'. Too bad the pan is overboiling at this one, at least enough for someone to leave the comp. 

@ Daniels: Nice song :) I agree on the message. 

You should tell what you used your stocks for, so the voters know how your sig has been made. 

But everyone should be able to enter the comp with their own style of sigs and everyone may vote for the style they like best. That's my final conclusion. 

*hammers the hammer*

Edited by chimay12321
ParaduxSig_zps7c40fba5.png

Good points Chimay!

1. IMHO stock images SHOULD be attributed/linked.  I think this is just fair - if you didn't make it, admit it.

2. If you do or don't like the use of renders - then VOTE accordingly (point #1 should make this easier).  To try and ban them makes as much sense as trying to ban Rafael Nadal because he's a lefty.

• Upvote 1

Good post, EER.  Yes and yes.  Though I don't watch tennis.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

@Chimay: png supports animation but some browsers do not animate pngs. It's only a blinking cursor :lol:

@Chimay: png supports animation but some browsers do not animate pngs. It's only a blinking cursor :lol:

Lol, I really didn't know that! Thought only GIF's had such a cool feature :S

I've never seen an animated PNG, that's probably why... But what browser does support animated PNG's? Chrome and IE don't, checked them both :P

Mea Culpa.

Edited by chimay12321
ParaduxSig_zps7c40fba5.png

As an artist that works with a ton of renders/stocks, I feel like I should jump in this conversation about using pre-made art.

First off, I'm not going to side with any specific person on this subject, I'm just adding my opinion.

Unless SOTW turned into a competition where all work must be 100% Paint.NET, than using stocks should be permitted, allowed, welcomed, etc. Sure you're using someone else work, but as long as you follow rule#5 than everything should be fair game. Give credit where credit is due.

So basically you used Paint.net to assemble all the components that are pre-made from elsewhere ? Not exactly a Paint.net competition entry then. 

He didn't assemble all the components and used them to make one image using Photoshop. He used Paint.NET. So with all due respect, he's still abiding by rule #6.

And on a positive note, all of the entries this week look awesome. I was particularly amazed by HELEN's entry. Great job everyone.

Edited by DarkShock

---- Gallery | Sig Tutorial | deviantART | Sig Videos | PhotoBucket ----

D                  E                  S                  T                  I                 N                  Y

The way I see it: A copy and paste job and taking all the credit is wrong in so many ways. Taking bits and pieces of work from other artists and making something new is completely fine. That's the beauty of digital art and image editing software. People do it all the time using Photoshop. Doing it with Paint.NET is no different, a matter of fact, it's actually harder to pull off!

D                  E                  S                  T                  I                 N                  Y

And I admire that, too. :D

Everyone has their own style and discipline. It's what keep us unique. I've even tried different techniques to make my sigs more "100% Paint.NET" My current sig is actually 100% Paint.NET if you don't count the render.

Lol, I really didn't know that! Thought only GIF's had such a cool feature :S

I've never seen an animated PNG, that's probably why... But what browser does support animated PNG's? Chrome and IE don't, checked them both :P

Edit: here's a better link to browser support for apng: http://caniuse.com/apng

Rule 6 is a bit of a new one & referred to Chaoscope, Apophysis, Terragen, Sculptris etc - programs that create images, not stock images. It has kind of lost its meaning a bit with successive hosts & is no longer the issue that it once was.

I have two of these programs and and several of the Anime programs mentioned but I never use anything from any of them in a comp because the way I understood the rules was that this is a Paint.Net forum with Paint.Net comps and that the idea was to use Paint.Net to make an entry. In several of these programs you start with something from a library of images created by someone else and those programs seem to be accepted but others like Sculptris where you create your image from a sphere of material seem to be not accepted. One rule seems to contradict another rule,while some rules seem to be bent to fit a few. 

A fair way to resolve this would be to either let all other programs be used in your creations or to not allow any of them to be used in them for comps.

Edited by skullbonz

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/21233-skullbonz-art-gallery

Good argument Skullbonz.

I feel that using say Terragen to create a landscape is effectively making a stock image and should be stated. Other users can assess the fairness of the use of Terragen or whatever other import was used when they vote.

I see the competitions as a place to expand our abilities and techniques. I was introduced to both Terragen and Sculptris from other forum users. If we try to ban these people will just stop admitting their use. Let's encourage openness and honesty yes?

Yes.I agree with you. I also heard about terragen and sculptris along with several other programs from users in these forums. I am very thankful for that. Many of the images people make using a combination of programs are very good.  Paint.Net is the perfect tool to make this happen and also teaches you many techniques on the way. The rules maybe should be rewritten to reflect this acceptance or a separate comp where any program can be used as long as one is Paint.Net. It appears that I am not the only one who has concerns on this matter and I believe that by clearing this up it would strengthen the community and bring in more entries.

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/21233-skullbonz-art-gallery