Oma's gallery

oma

thanks all for the nice comments on my dragon.

I'm back from holidays. had a great time, but glad I'm home.

this one isn't actually a paint.net item but just wanted to show you what I've learned in the way of drawing. It is to be a Christmas gift, and there is still a ways to go. I have also made a straight line drawing of this one and will scann and colorize and texture using paint.net in the near future. but for now here is the version that is in colored pencil. original size is 30.5 x 45.7 cm. on standard weight white paper with a smooth texture. to be matted and framed

CopyofIMG_1095.jpg

close up of actual petals.

closeupwork.jpg

ciao OMA

thanks you frontcannon and LFC4EVER its not pdn at all but just was feeling rather proud that I can actually draw something now. Most of what I've learned about drawing and more so shading and color has come from using Paint.net . I read at least one art book a week so seems like some of the info is sticking to the old noodle. :wink:

I've still to finish the pencil painting work. Then need to purchase some super hard pencil for the clean up outlines. the prisma pencils I use for the colorization are waxy and soft the edges need to be crisp and require different pencil type. .

There's no such thing like an international pencil hardness scala, or is it?

Here in Germany the hardest grade is 7H, the softest 4B. (7H - 6H - 5H - ... - HB - 1B - 2B - 3B - 4B)

I also use graphite pencils and they are same scale as German ones.I have Staedtler Mars Lumograph set. run from 8B - 7B-6B-5B-4B-3B 2B B HB F H 2H .... this set is from Germany.

colored pencils are a tad different. its the wax or oil compound mixture of the pencil that determines hardness and blending ability. I use Sanford's Prismacolor Premier, they are the artist quality as opposed to scholastic grade. They run about $2.50 a pencil for open stock here. I have the 48 color line. Wish I'd received the larger 72 set for Christmas.

Medium lead type pencils are general clay based lead and I seldom use them.

The type for edge work I like are a hard Lead type, color range is fairly limited, and most times I like to use the Sanford Verithin Line. I have a few but need more green shades and a few more redish/pinkish tones. That line only have 36 colors avail so I may need to search out some Rexel Derwent Artists they have 72 color range.

I also have two different sets of water soluable pencils. The one I like the best is by Staedltler. They give a nice watercolor effect, but I'm not too good at using them so far. Bought a good book on using them awhile back so shortly will be doing some practise . Maybe make a few little art cards as gifts.

ciao OMA

this is the link to Prisma site. http://www.prismacolor.com/sanford/cons ... RCat100001

Ah, the good old Staedtlers :D

I'm using them right now, too, as we're doing self portraits in our arts class this year.

It seems to be easier for the boys as they don't get hold up with every little flaw in their faces like the girls :)

I have a set that goes down to 9B...how do you manage to fill dark shadows in with 4B?

And Oma, have you tried cross-hatching techniques? I bet they'd look quite good on the leaves. The flowers themselves are very nicely textured. Also, if you're looking for very fine color pencil lines, I suggest looking into the Prismacolor Verithin sets. I've used them before; when sharpened, they make razor-thin lines.

@Crimson my set goes to 8B only not 9B I'm thinking frontcannon is using a drafting set not a lumograph set of staedtler pencils. if his only goes to 4B.

and yes the hard points I want are Prisma Verithin. the name is actually Sanford-Prisma. same company same line.

need to get into the city to purchase open stock. perhaps I'll look at the set, might just be more cost effective.

about the leaves. I know they are not great. I tried impressing and overdid it. :cry: so had to fill in with warmed softend pencil tip.

thanks Helen , the trip was short but great. I'm exhausted from the climbing and walking. I think maybe I need another holiday to rest up from the last one. :lol:

I've already started the PDN version of this image. Trying different color combinations but may scrap and restart before I get to far into it. I'm not getting enough texture contrasts in the petals ....so will be rethinking the method.

ciao OMA