Oma's gallery

oma

I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas and a very safe and healthy New Years Eve.

I'm wishing everyone all the best in 2009 (my new years eve photo). I look forward to viewing some amazing artwork in the upcoming year. So buckle down folks and lets see some truly ambitious pieces. I'm hoping many of you will venture well outside your comfort limits of sigs and attempt some large scale, full multi item pictures. Lets all challenge ourselves to become very artistic.

ciao

OMA

OMA.jpg

Have to love my hairdresser, she is a wonder at covering the gray hair :lol::lol:

Doing that in PDN would've been a cakewalk. :roll:

Seriously, though, great photo. :D

I'm loving what you did with frames, looks very fitting for New Year's.

(did it involve Crystallize, by any chance? :wink: )

Hatred does not cease by hatred, but only by love; this is the eternal rule.
|fb(page)|portfolio|blog|

Oh Kemaru its great, you actually are coming along real well in PDN. you were able to look at something and recognize what effect would achieve that look.

yes it was Crystallize. several layers of a white frame different crystallize settings and several gassiaun blured of the same setting.

(My grandkids call this my Mrs. Clause outfit :lol: I wonder why?)

anyone recognize the red cardinal I drew from my deviant art pages? here is the framed version hubby and kids gave me this year. The stockings are empty. didn't receive more than a lump of coal. just kidding, actally there was awonderful set of butterfly 14k gold earings were way down in the toe. it was a great Christmas, I received a new set of 48 prisma color artists pencils, some works sketch pads and a couple of great art books.

Oh Kemaru its great, you actually are coming along real well in PDN. you were able to look at something and recognize what effect would achieve that look.

yes it was Crystallize. several layers of a white frame different crystallize settings and several gassiaun blured of the same setting.

(My grandkids call this my Mrs. Clause outfit :lol: I wonder why?)

anyone recognize the red cardinal I drew from my deviant art pages? here is the framed version hubby and kids gave me this year. The stockings are empty. didn't receive more than a lump of coal. just kidding, actally there was awonderful set of butterfly 14k gold earings were way down in the toe. it was a great Christmas, I received a new set of 48 prisma color artists pencils, some works sketch pads and a couple of great art books.

Thanks for your kind words, oma. :)

What kind of art books did you receive?

Hatred does not cease by hatred, but only by love; this is the eternal rule.
|fb(page)|portfolio|blog|

Your photo is worth a thousand words definitely. You have PDN on here, your deviantArt image, and your original photo. I love your creativity! Good luck in this new year. Happy New Year!!!

Thanks Helen, if you look closely I also made those ceramic angels on the tree many many moons ago. hand carved mold ( had lots of help from the teacher) and poured slip and then fired and painted and then refired similar to raku work. They are very lovely and don't show up near as beautiful in pictures. You don't get the luminousity and tranlucents sparkle in the picture .

What kind of art books did you receive?

one was masterful color by arlene Steinberg. Real advanced for my skills but still alovely hardcover book with many tips and exercises in colored pencil drawing/painting. Hopefully I'll master some of these things in the coming year. At least that's the goal. :wink:

and another was Readers digest learn as you go guide Sketching school. Its a much looser sketching style, I'm not sure I like that style but there are a few things I want to try out using ink and pen in combination with water color pencils. I think there are several things I'm going to attempt to translate over into my PDN style.

There is another one upstairs at the moment...so not sure of the exact name, its by Lee Hammond about portraits in colored pencil. This one I beleive is my favourite of the three, its easier to understand and not so advanced as the one by Arlene Steinberg.

All in All they are really good books... my art section of my home library is growing by leaps and bounds.

ciao

OMA

pearontable.png

pearontablewithgrapes.png

I'm hungry :!:

updated per comments below and top next page

darkened left edge of pear, waxed the grapes, added more highlight on pear, fixed the stem a bit.

peargrapesontablewithandbackground.png

that stem still wasn't correct

here I pixel painted it in better subtle but definetly more realistic

peargrapesontablewithbackgroundfixe.png

comments below caused me to add stem for grapes and some leaves. darkend the shadows at the base of the grapes to anchor them to the table better.

sorry I wanted a strawberry in this picture as well here is the first awful attempt. Yikes it needs work LOL!

anchoredgrapeswithdarkershadows.png

well I perfected the strawberry its not 100% but I think darn close.

so this is the final version. Finished as far as I'm taking this.

conclusion. it is possible to do very real looking paintings in this program.

100% paint.net I did not use a single outside render or even one of my own hand drawings scanned.

finishedwithstrawberry.png

as shown on my Deviant art gallery

cropped and even more defined shadows

fruitonthetableforDA.png

I love this artistic piece, Oma. Beautifully and professionally done. I like how you added the warm colors on the pear; it's very appetizing and realistic. Great job once again! :D :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :D

sig-1.png
Don't spit into the well, you might drink from it later. -----Yiddish Proverb

Glossy Galaxy Ball---How to Make Foliage
My Gallery

PDN Fans--My DA

Oma, I must say this is a fantastic piece of artwork. It's even awesomer (it's my made-up word, lol) job now!!! I love how you added the grapes and fixed up the stem. A pleasant piece of art admired by me!!!!

sig-1.png
Don't spit into the well, you might drink from it later. -----Yiddish Proverb

Glossy Galaxy Ball---How to Make Foliage
My Gallery

PDN Fans--My DA

OMA, that is much more realistic! Great job! The grapes need a stem (maybe thats why they look half-flat?). To achieve a more waxy feel, add some low opacity reflections of the grapes, on each grapes. Time-consuming, but well worth it. :)

Merry Christmas

.::.My Gallery.::.Make Gold Text!.::.

Wow OMA! That's awesome! I love the pear. Being a little picky though, there's something just not quite there with the grapes - I think as LFC4EVER says maybe a stem might help it and help the perspective. They are excellent (and much better than anything I'd ever come up with), but they kind of look as though they're sort of hanging there somehow, I guess because they're sort of a homogonous group, and probably a stem would just add a bit of perspective to the grapes and help with the flatness.

I'm not quite sure about making them more waxy - I guess it'd depend on the variety of grape - we've had some that are very shiny, and others that do have that kind of waxy look to them. Texture wise, either way they look great!

OMA, that is much more realistic! Great job! The grapes need a stem (maybe thats why they look half-flat?). To achieve a more waxy feel, add some low opacity reflections of the grapes, on each grapes. Time-consuming, but well worth it. :)
bliss_sig_pencil_2.png

thanks for the comments and ideas LFC4ever. I added the stem and a couple of leaves

the shadow might need adjusting to show the stem and leaves but don't think so. Will be trying that out later tonight.

BlissC I've added darker shadows under the grapes that ought to help weight them down to the table so they don't seem to float away.

as you all can see in the little workshots I just added on previous page I'm now attempting the strawberry I wanted to add to this. It looks like yuk right now the seeds are too uniform the shading is terrible but it will look much better soon. I promise.

So everyone you see I've challenged myself this year in Paint.Net. Who else has started something major?

ciao OMA

thanks Helen and Welshblue. I'm pretty pleased with this. I did a bit more shadow and highlight work and a better composition crop for my DA gallery (link is in my sig).

Welshblue what is a "collab piece"?

I've noted the steps to making the pear and just about have a basic tut done. its in a scriptlab format so far so will be doing screen shots tonight and a text write up. It is not near as involved as this one was but the tut will give you all the idea of what went into it and how to do some basic shading. It will give you a basic idea of what type of texture to use for background of fruit.

ciao OMA