Oma's gallery

oma

Excellent job oma on "Living in a prism". It really does look like you're inside a prism with the spectrum of colours. You really must make a tut on how to make an abstract, i'm sure it'd teach everyone a lot - especially about using polar inversion.

LFC4EVER is refering to the picture on previous page. called "Living in a prism" .

Lordy Lordy LFC4EVER are you asking me to break David's rule #7?

Quote of David from the tutorial rules section... a must read, riveting and insightful view on proper tutorial procedures.

7. Think HARD before posting a tutorial that includes Polar Inversion or run the risk of being mocked.

let me think on this.

ciao

OMA

in the mean time while you hold your breath here is a little one I like a lot

"This one is called "Just a moment in time"

justasinglemomentintime.png

I'm not sure why I'm thinking of spring flowers, winter is just around the corner here in the frosty north.

but this is the start of a new picture for me

Spring Crocus.

Inspriation piece

inspirationpiece.png

my

work in progress shots

workinprogressnumber1resize.jpgworkinprogressshot2-1.jpg

(#7793)

Copyofworkinprogressshot3.jpgworkinprogressshot4-1.jpg

(#7812)(#7848)

workinprogressnumber5-1.jpg

(#7860)

very near completion just need some more dark shadows and shading

workinprogressnumber6a.jpgworkinprogressnumber7.jpg

(#7872)

I've done some very minor changes but feel reluctant to spend any more time on this one now. It should really be redone entirely from scratch using the things I've learned. I'm not sure I will redo same picture maybe another flower using some of these methods.

thanks for watching the progress of this one. So here is the finished flower as far as I'm taking it. Not an exact to the inspiration, but passable in my opinion. Its been a good learning piece, and has challenged my powers of observation. Truthfully if I do this flower again it will be as a colored pencil drawing, and not as a computor generated picture. Good old traditional pencil and paper rendering of a flower.

completedasfarasimgoingonthisone.png

latest abstract "Just a moment in time" .................. :lol: added it above.... leave this as a place marker please for another work I've got on the go.

:wink: meanwhile leave me a few comments on the crocus.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I know by the count you all are looking. so what's up? no one want to comment. Promise I don't bite.

ciao OMA :wink:

the crocus is coming along very nicely! Great job! Just one thing though, the lines on the petals look a bit too thick and messy in places. Use line tool to perfect the "draft" brush strokes maybe? Or even Render > Bars / Gradient Bars to get the veiny line things on the petals.

That's so beautiful, Oma! Splendid!

Thanks Helen but I'm sure its not dead on. It is my first attempt at crossing over some steps I do manually in colored pencil work to paint.net. having a dickens of a time metally translating those steps to a computor program.

Speechless at your crocus!!!! As always: wonderful, artistic work, oma!

281.gif

Thanks Kat, that's nice of you to say. Although personally this is the learning piece for some new techniques, it is great practise. and what I learn on this one will go into future works. thanks for leaving a comment.

Wow nice job. :mrgreen: :clap:

thanks I'm glad you enjoyed it so far. It still is pretty ragged so needs loads of work maybe another stab at it from the start.?

thanks you for leaving a comment. I enjoy when someone leaves a message they've been by to look.

the crocus is coming along very nicely! Great job! Just one thing though, the lines on the petals look a bit too thick and messy in places. Use line tool to perfect the "draft" brush strokes maybe? Or even Render > Bars / Gradient Bars to get the veiny line things on the petals.

do you mean the white edges along the petals? or the purple veins down the centre of the whiter petals?

I'll upload the inspiration picture just as soon as I get my scanner working this morning.

you will see that crocus have 6 petals three light 3 dark each petal is spoon shaped and there is a defined ruffled white margin to each petal.

ciao back soon with inspiration pic. will edit this post and add.

OMA

edit here is the inspiration piece note the veins are not symetrical in any fashion on this type of flower. I've used paintbrush. bars would not work for the larger centre ones, I might try the bars idea for the smaller edge ones. It is definetly much easier to do this flower by hand in pencil. I'm sure I went wrong on this when I tried glow to simulate what would happen when you used Bestine and cotton swab to blur the inner petals. I've not figured out Paint.net equivalent to that manual step of drawing. yet! still working on that...

inspirationpiece.png

also added a quick attempt at another method of doing the purple veins in the white petals better or worse?

What impressed me more, besides your well-known amazing drawing skills, is that you are getting faster and faster in making images. I mean I see they are lots of layers overthere but I suppose you completed that in no more than a couple of days :?: I will not be that surprised then if one day looking around between the shelves of a book-shop I will pick up a book with the front-cover saying Illustrations by Oma Grandmother. Now, if you don't bite me ( :D ) I would love to have some tips on how you worked i.e. on a single petal, ok you've started drawing the outline then added shades, color and textures, how many layers for a single petal? and how did you proceed? Think that will be precious to learn, Thanks,

Ciao

What impressed me more, besides your well-known amazing drawing skills, is that you are getting faster and faster in making images. I mean I see they are lots of layers overthere but I suppose you completed that in no more than a couple of days :?:

wait till I get this computor smoking. Demitre added this morning for me a new 2g ram . used to be only 512mb :wink:

lots of layers in this one as its trying new techniques. some will be kept for final version loads are unchecked at the moment as being so so maybe maybe not ways of doing things.

I will not be that surprised then if one day looking around between the shelves of a book-shop I will pick up a book with the front-cover saying Illustrations by Oma Grandmother.

now that I would love. perhaps someday.

Now, if you don't bite me ( :D ) I would love to have some tips on how you worked i.e. on a single petal, ok you've started drawing the outline then added shades, color and textures, how many layers for a single petal? and how did you proceed? Think that will be precious to learn, Thanks,

Ciao

I've got it down now to about 5 layers for a petal and there might be a little mini tut on the petal after I finish the picture. .

ciao and thanks for looking.

• 2 weeks later...

this is a new one for me. I usually always stay away from the space scenes because of the darkness of them. I find its hard on the eyes. but this is my attempt.

got the planet

th_myfirstplanet.png

then with some advise from Nab I started the star field.

th_myfirstplanetaddedstarfield.pngth_myfirstplanetaddedstarfieldandpinka.png

I've moved the main planet to get a better focal point. the next step will be to add some smaller planets to give depth.

and yes I know some of them stars are a bit ummmm not so good. but they might stay they might not, they might just be where the other little planets and space debrie will be going. LOL!

th_planetfixedfocalpoint.png

th_JOURNEYBEYONDYOURDREAMS.png

:lol: and here I thought I was finished with this one

just because Helen asked so nicely I've added the shooting star, another planet and some very subtle lens flares :lol:

withsomelensflareandashootingstarfo.png

That's funny, Oma. :lol: I think that it looks good already. I think that for it not to look dark, as you say, you should add a star burst or some kind of light right in back of the planet. It will set a good contrast between the starfield and the planet. You can make it look like the planet is not just the center of attention by adding larger stars in front of it and smaller stars/plantes as you move your gaze to the back of the image. Good luck Oma!

Your crocus looks very nice! To refine it further, the lines could use some AA :AntiAliasingOn: and maybe some shadows under the pedals and in the alcoves etc. as well. :wink: As for your planet, to make it look slightly rounder I suggest you add shadows to the top right and bottom left.

Your planet texture is really nice! :)

It doesn't look that 3D, and Shape3d isn't the best way to go about making it 3D either IMO(it "flattens" the surface losing that bumpy feel to it). What you should do is either re-size it so the whole planet touches the edges of the canvas, then use Lens on it to a suitable degree. Then just add lighting and shadows - don't forget the atmosphere too (if it has one).

Here's a very detailed tut for planet creation: Clicky (you'll have to download it, but its worth it)

I like the starfield, especially the section just above the bottom right of the image. The star field looks quite flat though. Add a few brighter foreground stars (Add noise, mess with brightness/contrast), and a few really bright stars can be added to make it seem better.

Here's a tut for a really good starfield (its a PS one, but convertable in PDN): Clicky

Thanks Janetsue I'm enjoying the extended Ram memory I don't get quite so many out of memory messages now. Not the same as getting a new computor but definetly much better speed wise. now I'm going to have to investigate what they mean when they say dual processor. LOL!

@HELEN adding the starburst etc was the general idea I had. as you can see I've added more colors to lighten this up. not a real space scene I'm sure but still pleasant to look at in a playful way. When I get to the other planets then the depth will really start to be felt.

@Crimson Thanks on your remarks about the crocus. I'm not sure I'm going to do much more to this picture. I was actually testing something, and this was the trial picture. I'm actually planning on doing it by hand on paper. I might come back to it, but not likely. The planet I added a few more shadows and find its a bit rounder.

It's always a pleasure to look at your gallery oma and the crocus is no different.

Great job.

thanks glad you stopped by for a visit.

@LFC4EVER well I didn't use 3d I used Lens and cut the planet out from there. I've added some shading manually with gassiaun blur now to make it a bit more rounded. I may still add more. I've added a few more stars not sure they look correct, you can see in my updated post above. thanks for the links I've had a quick run thru them.

ciao all thanks for looking now back to the paint.net screen and work away on some more little planets. :lol:

unless im mistaken, theres polar inversion in that?

see, that ladies and gentlemen is what you can do with polar inversion. none of the stuff people use it for now, but what you are using it for oma. brilliant.

no you are not mistaken, there is almost 99% of the time a polar inversion somewhere in about 99% of my pictures. sort of my signature effect. :wink: often well well hidden. :lol: but this picture is a bold in your face polar inversion. :wink:

use the effect wisely folks think of it as a tool not a picture.

ciao

:shock: It's so beautiful, Oma! I think you made the most perfect space picture. I really don't think anything else needs to be added. If you want to, though, you can have a part of a planet at the corner on the lower left side of the image (opposite of the main planet). It's just an idea. Also, How about adding a shooting star somewhere? Or something to do with "camera lens":

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3030/2512161725_79419cab06.jpg

Archived