Oma's gallery

oma

That's so beautiful, Oma! Splendid!

Thanks Helen but I'm sure its not dead on. It is my first attempt at crossing over some steps I do manually in colored pencil work to paint.net. having a dickens of a time metally translating those steps to a computor program.

Speechless at your crocus!!!! As always: wonderful, artistic work, oma!

281.gif

Thanks Kat, that's nice of you to say. Although personally this is the learning piece for some new techniques, it is great practise. and what I learn on this one will go into future works. thanks for leaving a comment.

Wow nice job. :mrgreen: :clap:

thanks I'm glad you enjoyed it so far. It still is pretty ragged so needs loads of work maybe another stab at it from the start.?

thanks you for leaving a comment. I enjoy when someone leaves a message they've been by to look.

the crocus is coming along very nicely! Great job! Just one thing though, the lines on the petals look a bit too thick and messy in places. Use line tool to perfect the "draft" brush strokes maybe? Or even Render > Bars / Gradient Bars to get the veiny line things on the petals.

do you mean the white edges along the petals? or the purple veins down the centre of the whiter petals?

I'll upload the inspiration picture just as soon as I get my scanner working this morning.

you will see that crocus have 6 petals three light 3 dark each petal is spoon shaped and there is a defined ruffled white margin to each petal.

ciao back soon with inspiration pic. will edit this post and add.

OMA

edit here is the inspiration piece note the veins are not symetrical in any fashion on this type of flower. I've used paintbrush. bars would not work for the larger centre ones, I might try the bars idea for the smaller edge ones. It is definetly much easier to do this flower by hand in pencil. I'm sure I went wrong on this when I tried glow to simulate what would happen when you used Bestine and cotton swab to blur the inner petals. I've not figured out Paint.net equivalent to that manual step of drawing. yet! still working on that...

inspirationpiece.png

also added a quick attempt at another method of doing the purple veins in the white petals better or worse?

What impressed me more, besides your well-known amazing drawing skills, is that you are getting faster and faster in making images. I mean I see they are lots of layers overthere but I suppose you completed that in no more than a couple of days :?: I will not be that surprised then if one day looking around between the shelves of a book-shop I will pick up a book with the front-cover saying Illustrations by Oma Grandmother. Now, if you don't bite me ( :D ) I would love to have some tips on how you worked i.e. on a single petal, ok you've started drawing the outline then added shades, color and textures, how many layers for a single petal? and how did you proceed? Think that will be precious to learn, Thanks,

Ciao

What impressed me more, besides your well-known amazing drawing skills, is that you are getting faster and faster in making images. I mean I see they are lots of layers overthere but I suppose you completed that in no more than a couple of days :?:

wait till I get this computor smoking. Demitre added this morning for me a new 2g ram . used to be only 512mb :wink:

lots of layers in this one as its trying new techniques. some will be kept for final version loads are unchecked at the moment as being so so maybe maybe not ways of doing things.

I will not be that surprised then if one day looking around between the shelves of a book-shop I will pick up a book with the front-cover saying Illustrations by Oma Grandmother.

now that I would love. perhaps someday.

Now, if you don't bite me ( :D ) I would love to have some tips on how you worked i.e. on a single petal, ok you've started drawing the outline then added shades, color and textures, how many layers for a single petal? and how did you proceed? Think that will be precious to learn, Thanks,

Ciao

I've got it down now to about 5 layers for a petal and there might be a little mini tut on the petal after I finish the picture. .

ciao and thanks for looking.

• 2 weeks later...

this is a new one for me. I usually always stay away from the space scenes because of the darkness of them. I find its hard on the eyes. but this is my attempt.

got the planet

th_myfirstplanet.png

then with some advise from Nab I started the star field.

th_myfirstplanetaddedstarfield.pngth_myfirstplanetaddedstarfieldandpinka.png

I've moved the main planet to get a better focal point. the next step will be to add some smaller planets to give depth.

and yes I know some of them stars are a bit ummmm not so good. but they might stay they might not, they might just be where the other little planets and space debrie will be going. LOL!

th_planetfixedfocalpoint.png

th_JOURNEYBEYONDYOURDREAMS.png

:lol: and here I thought I was finished with this one

just because Helen asked so nicely I've added the shooting star, another planet and some very subtle lens flares :lol:

withsomelensflareandashootingstarfo.png

That's funny, Oma. :lol: I think that it looks good already. I think that for it not to look dark, as you say, you should add a star burst or some kind of light right in back of the planet. It will set a good contrast between the starfield and the planet. You can make it look like the planet is not just the center of attention by adding larger stars in front of it and smaller stars/plantes as you move your gaze to the back of the image. Good luck Oma!

sig-1.png
Don't spit into the well, you might drink from it later. -----Yiddish Proverb

Glossy Galaxy Ball---How to Make Foliage
My Gallery

PDN Fans--My DA

Your crocus looks very nice! To refine it further, the lines could use some AA :AntiAliasingOn: and maybe some shadows under the pedals and in the alcoves etc. as well. :wink: As for your planet, to make it look slightly rounder I suggest you add shadows to the top right and bottom left.

Your planet texture is really nice! :)

It doesn't look that 3D, and Shape3d isn't the best way to go about making it 3D either IMO(it "flattens" the surface losing that bumpy feel to it). What you should do is either re-size it so the whole planet touches the edges of the canvas, then use Lens on it to a suitable degree. Then just add lighting and shadows - don't forget the atmosphere too (if it has one).

Here's a very detailed tut for planet creation: Clicky (you'll have to download it, but its worth it)

I like the starfield, especially the section just above the bottom right of the image. The star field looks quite flat though. Add a few brighter foreground stars (Add noise, mess with brightness/contrast), and a few really bright stars can be added to make it seem better.

Here's a tut for a really good starfield (its a PS one, but convertable in PDN): Clicky

Merry Christmas

.::.My Gallery.::.Make Gold Text!.::.

Thanks Janetsue I'm enjoying the extended Ram memory I don't get quite so many out of memory messages now. Not the same as getting a new computor but definetly much better speed wise. now I'm going to have to investigate what they mean when they say dual processor. LOL!

@HELEN adding the starburst etc was the general idea I had. as you can see I've added more colors to lighten this up. not a real space scene I'm sure but still pleasant to look at in a playful way. When I get to the other planets then the depth will really start to be felt.

@Crimson Thanks on your remarks about the crocus. I'm not sure I'm going to do much more to this picture. I was actually testing something, and this was the trial picture. I'm actually planning on doing it by hand on paper. I might come back to it, but not likely. The planet I added a few more shadows and find its a bit rounder.

It's always a pleasure to look at your gallery oma and the crocus is no different.

Great job.

thanks glad you stopped by for a visit.

@LFC4EVER well I didn't use 3d I used Lens and cut the planet out from there. I've added some shading manually with gassiaun blur now to make it a bit more rounded. I may still add more. I've added a few more stars not sure they look correct, you can see in my updated post above. thanks for the links I've had a quick run thru them.

ciao all thanks for looking now back to the paint.net screen and work away on some more little planets. :lol:

unless im mistaken, theres polar inversion in that?

see, that ladies and gentlemen is what you can do with polar inversion. none of the stuff people use it for now, but what you are using it for oma. brilliant.

You should get the Win7 theme for XP. Then get the rest of Win7. Then uninstall XP. Then it'll really look nice. ~ David Atwell

unless im mistaken, theres polar inversion in that?

see, that ladies and gentlemen is what you can do with polar inversion. none of the stuff people use it for now, but what you are using it for oma. brilliant.

no you are not mistaken, there is almost 99% of the time a polar inversion somewhere in about 99% of my pictures. sort of my signature effect. :wink: often well well hidden. :lol: but this picture is a bold in your face polar inversion. :wink:

use the effect wisely folks think of it as a tool not a picture.

ciao

:shock: It's so beautiful, Oma! I think you made the most perfect space picture. I really don't think anything else needs to be added. If you want to, though, you can have a part of a planet at the corner on the lower left side of the image (opposite of the main planet). It's just an idea. Also, How about adding a shooting star somewhere? Or something to do with "camera lens":

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3030/2512161725_79419cab06.jpg

sig-1.png

My Gallery

PDN Fans--My DA

:shock: It's so beautiful, Oma! I think you made the most perfect space picture. I really don't think anything else needs to be added. If you want to, though, you can have a part of a planet at the corner on the lower left side of the image (opposite of the main planet). It's just an idea. Also, How about adding a shooting star somewhere? Or something to do with "camera lens":

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3030/2512161725_79419cab06.jpg

thanks Helen I really like that shooting star idea. now how in the world will I tackle that in my own style. :idea:

I'll work on that likely tomorrow. today after lunch I'm off to an art show. Thru the blizzard no less.

should come back with a million ideas :lol: so many pictures to make and not enough time. oh wooo is me. :lol::lol:

PS I have a larger version of that one on the previous page if you want a closer look

What if you do something like you did with your "pumpkin patch" one, but make the polar inversion smaller, obviously? Probably cutting out the "swirl" part and making that into the shooting star. Make that a purple-pink-light blue shooting star to go with the rest of your image. Then, duplicate the layer, add a glow, maybe a fragment blur and it will look just as magical. Just my idea.

Enjoy the art show and take in as many ideas as possible.

sig-1.png

My Gallery

PDN Fans--My DA

th_NOV3.png

Great abstract! I'd crop the left side of it a bit though - the color difference in the top left corner and the line, kind of makes the abstract look less clean. Nice use of Polar Inversion and Polar Transformation. :wink:

yes those lines came from the bevel frame. I'm going to pop this back into paint.net add a regular border then bevel that will take out the lines top left and bottom right.

and just for your info no Polar Transformation. just Polar Inversion and a few other effects. :wink:

What if you do something like you did with your "pumpkin patch" one, but make the polar inversion smaller, obviously? Probably cutting out the "swirl" part and making that into the shooting star. Make that a purple-pink-light blue shooting star to go with the rest of your image. Then, duplicate the layer, add a glow, maybe a fragment blur and it will look just as magical. Just my idea.

Enjoy the art show and take in as many ideas as possible.

unfortunately I didn't make it to the art show after all. Drove three blocks from home and saw 3 major accidents. First turn off I turned around and scooted back home. :lol:

I added a shooting star and another planet and some lens flares just for you. :wink: (page 16)

by the way did you make that planet in the link? or surf the net for it. I love the written sentiment.

ciao

OMA

No, I found the planet off the web, but I also like the words.

Anyway, your space image---I'm just speechless. :shock: :o :shock: :o It's so beautiful and soft and...just so magnificent. I'm glad you took my advice and added the comet and the planet and the lens flare. It looks like I'm inside that image. Great and awesome job, Oma. I LOVE it, it's so spectacular.

sig-1.png

My Gallery

PDN Fans--My DA

• 2 weeks later...

sorry I haven't posted much or commented or replied to any posts lately. Been a bit under the weather. I did manage to do a pencil sketch while I was laid up in bed. Always amazes me I can actually take the things I've learned within this program about art and apply it to actual drawing.

anyways peek at what I've worked on and I'll be using the pencil sketch of myself for my index at the beginning of this gallery when ever I get around to it. :lol::lol:

learningtodraw2.jpg

PS looking now at the two pictures side by side I see my jaw line isn't correct in the pencil drawing so that's going to get fixed.

PSS picture was taken on a backpack trip on the east coast.

after the comments about coloring this in I've decided to do that and will consolidate the work in progress shots here.

th_forindex2.pngth_intheworkspicture2.png

apassablelikeness.png

when I put the two side by side I noted I needed to fix the mouth. moved lips a tad closer together and darkened corners a bit. I actually think where I've gone off on this picture is in the tilt of the head. I'm still a beginner so getting the tilt just seems so foreign to me. but I'll work on that next picture I do. for now this will have to suffice

doingtheteeth.png

PS Kemaru I darkened the lips. :roll:

I'm now at the near finish stage just darkening some shading , lighting other shading

etc etc.

current status of this picture

currentstageofthispicutre.png

I had a message on DA that I should try to trim down the neck a bit on the above picture . I've worked on this today (loads of layers and some shading to repair doing it ... but the results although subtle are just a bit better . :lol::lol::lol: At least he didn't tell me I had a fat head. :lol::lol: joke get it. fat head .... as in air between the ears. :lol::lol:

Arty if you read that above don't be mad it's just my way sometime English phrases strike me a hilarious.

So now that I've modified it

I've now used that update slimmer OMA picture as part of my opening intro of this gallery page 1 for full size just have to add the typed index of this gallery now. Yea! another project almost done!

th_INTROUPDATE4.png

oh I just realized after looking at that full size I used too much color burn in final the shadows on the face are tooooooooo stark will have to fix that.