Oma's gallery

oma

:lol: no peanuts

so here is first in what will likely be a long process.

I have a sketch in my sketchbook. I used a picture of a small Asian Royal Elephant statue as the inspiration .

At first glance it looks nicely drawn, considering I'm still learning. But I see some flaws that would take a major amount of erasing and re drawing. Perhaps I could get it correct but most likely I would wear a hole thru the paper and ruin it. So I'm going to try and salvage this image in Paint.Net and add some color at the same time. Yes Storm there will be pink. :lol::lol: no tuttu's but a nice royal drapery.

wip2.jpg

some real obvious areas of concern.

wip3.jpg

from here I'm going to take the easy way and just go over the lines with the line tool, instead of drawing again from scratch with a mouse. This one is just a tad too complicated linewise for my old hands to master with the mouse.

wip4.jpg

wip5.jpg

wip6.jpg

wip7.jpg

I look again at my inspiration piece I check maybe my drawing is not so out of perspective . It is a drawing of a picture of a handcrafted statue, and I think the original artist is out in perspective. Me not so much from my inspiration piece I add to his errors, this is why it seems not right to my eye..

first is picture of my inspiration photo of statue and my sketch pad. so you all see scale is much different so you know I do not trace.

IMG_0987.jpg

I think how can I check?

so I bring both inspiration and my sketch to same scale size. I show this top of the next picture

then bottom of the picture I have my sketch and change opacity of the gold elephant down until I can see

thru to my sketch under. blue arrows show where my sketch is out to inspiration piece ( I see I miss arrow for elephant top of his head this also out should be bigger. In real life not so high as the statue shows)

so I see I'm not so far off afterall.

I feel much better.

whereImoutnottoobad.png

so now I must fix these areas before I go further.

redrawing some of the lines.

I leave my original sketch in so I know where I am on screen to redraw.

much toggle back and forth from full view to close up zoom so I see real clear.

wip10.jpg

I draw some guidelines to help with the perspective of drawing that little house on top of elephant.

I think I must leave the trunk of elephant as is . I accidentally just deleted my text file of the steps for texture. :evil: :evil: :evil: :cry: makes me so mad! I could cry!

wip11.jpg

june 4 2009 I'm not done yet. that little housey thing is going to be the death of me. :lol:

just about tempted to leave it out altogether. will spend another day on it and if its not correct its going in the waste bin. :lol:

wip12.jpg

june 6 2009 I'm not done yet. That house thing is killing me. so I ended up just simplifying it to this.

still some clean up of the re draw but its looking a bit nicer.

wip13.jpg

June 7 2009 well its a more simplified drawing but a more embellished little house.

wip14.jpg

June 15 2009 I've not abandoned this pic just been under the weather and have only done sketching in my paper notebook. I managed to get some line drawing done for a revised little house portion. Thanks yellowman for the tiny little sketch by PM it has helped me to focus on just the house without the elephant distraction. here I show the little sketch I received and my sketch pad results. next picture is the line tool partially done. I still see some areas to correct but think it is looking better than before.

wip15.jpg

wip16.jpg

when this is reduced just a tad over 50% it fits real nicely on the elephants back and that should take care of any wonky aa. now to figure out the coloration. :lol:

submit.png

yes Minoeman with my little old pencil the old fashioned way on paper sketchpad. I could only draw stick men back in Jan of 2007. Still a ways to go as you can see I'm still struggling with perspective, but at least I recognize now where I go off in a drawing. I can see myself so much improvement in my work especially in the last 6 months.

ciao thanks for looking and leavin a comment.

OMA

oma....the Elephant looks so nice, you are right there is some out of perspective, but I love those Spontaneous mistakes in the scale or perspective or proportions in images, I feel like there is more life in them. I think its time for you to learn the sketch-up program, that will help you in your work faster and better especially for objects like the Howdah (the thing on top of the elephant back). But I like your image very much, I know your final touch-ups will change every thing. :).

thanks you everyone for very nice comments. and yes Helen I just looked mirror I'm still there. not robot yet. :lol:

Axel is my drawing by pencil and scanned into computor. This week my hands do not feel so well and it is just too difficult picture to do just line tool. so I scann and then trace with line tool a bit at a time as I feel up to it. I color in paint.net.

Janetsue I work a bit slowly this week but the elephant comes more quickly than I thought it was going to be. Already I add some screen shots on the page before this one for you to look at. :wink:

LFC4EVER I think you like :lol::lol:

yellowman I think about what you say. so I check maybe my drawing is not so out of perspective . It is a drawing of a picture of a handcrafted statue, and I think the original artist is out in perspective. Me not so much from my inspiration piece.

first is picture of my inspiration photo of statue and my sketch pad. so you all see scale is much different so you know I do not trace. (both pictures full size pg 48 in wip shots of elephant)

th_IMG_0987.jpg

I think how can I check?

so I bring both inspiration and my sketch to same scale size. I show this top of the next picture

then bottom of the picture I have my sketch and change opacity of the gold elephant down until I can see

thru to my sketch under. blue arrows show where my sketch is out to inspiration piece ( I see I miss arrow for elephant top of his head this also out should be bigger. In real life not so high as the statue shows)

so I see I'm not so far off afterall.

I feel much better.

th_whereImoutnottoobad.png

I lookedat Sketchup this looks nice program. but I have not enough memory and it advise not to use if you have intel .... my graphics card not good enough. Maybe when I save for new computor I have Demetrie sell me a real great computor and I download that program to try.

goonfella thanks you for comments on how I arrange this gallery. I add many screen shots of my work so I have less PM about how I did things. And to stop the nasty pm's that people say I use another program and not paint.net. I missed out pages 8 to 12 and have finished resorting them now. some of my favourite pieces there. I love that bird I think the best.

ciao OMA

PS I just added two more screen shots on pg 48 work in progress.

:shock: Wow - those eyes are also following my moves (and it spooked my cats! hahah)

Positively fantastic - those eyes and nose are so nicely proportioned! - utterly wonderful just to look at, like one is in a museum!

The elephant is stunning, but I'm blown away by the sketching and drawing that you do free-hand. It is a real gift. My scrawls look better as an example of a dead language, :lol:

I also like how you take pains to label details on each layer!

Thanks so much for the inspiration and keep it coming!

"Listen, or Your Tongue Will Make You Deaf" 

Native American Proverb

SIGCOMPLETED072313SPACEAGE-150pxby500pxp

thanks you Helen. I like the textures but see I just boo boo and delete text file of steps. make me so mad. I can remember about 1/2 steps will have to redo and refigure out that. :cry:

I know I should have put in wip progress notes so I had down safe spot.

@Kamala thanks you for comments. I like eyes picture very much. Is my step daughters eyes I try to draw and my nose. :lol: I thanks you for nice words about my handdrawing. This comes with practice. When I am told by doctor to be on bed rest I am allowed to draw only. No computor. so I must only draw from photos. not as good a real life drawings. :lol::lol: I don't think I could get elephant to stand still in my bedroom. :lol::lol::lol:

so now I must scoot back to bed before hubby finds me at computor in office. I am going to be drawing by pencil for next day or so. So my elephant has to wait. :cry: for touch up.

chat with you all next week.

OMA

the pink cloth thing on the side looks like a shape with lines + gradient. :(

it sort of messes the piece up because its quite large and the shading on it doesn't quite fit the rest of the piece, such as the trunk where the shading is awesome.

make it looks more cloth like with clear light and dark areas. Take a look at some silk cloth on google image search if you don't get what i mean. :)

can't wait to see it finished though. :)

Merry Christmas

.::.My Gallery.::.Make Gold Text!.::.