Let's make some Lightning. (Novice)

Minoeman

Hello everyone! It's me, Minoeman, and today I will show you how to make this image.

Lightning-12.png

Plug-ins needed:

Feather.

Basic anti-alias.

Outline object.

Step 1:

Of course, open up a canvas size 500x175 and fill it in with any color.

(Black grey is preferable for this one.)

Lightning-1.png

Step 2:

This next part is tricky. This is where you decide your lightning bolts basic outline,

but then you need to add some other parts around the the line.

First, select your dark color. (Your dark color should be a darker version of your light.)

Then, turn down the opacity to 10. Add a new layer, and start drawing your outline with the brush size 30.

Lightning-2.png

Now, once you have that done, take your lighter color, brush size 20 and opacity 5,

and color over your end point of the lightning bolt and highlight it.

Lightning-3.png

Now run gaussian blur at 6-10.

Lightning-4.png

Step 3:

This part may get annoying. Now, add a new layer, grab your bolt color,

(Bolt color should be a lighter version of the light color!) at 255 opacity and size 3 brush, do

zig zagz with your mouse following the bath of the bolt you made earlier. This may take 5-10

tries to get it right so you may want to zoom in to get it right.

Lightning-5.png

Step 4:

Add a new layer, use the same color, but lower the brush size to 2 and change it to :AntiAliasingOff: ,

and start drawing more zig zag line branching off the big one. Then run basic anti alias.

Lightning-6-1.png

Now, lower the pen size to 1, and start drawing sparks shooting off the main bolt, without touching it.

Then merge with the main bolt and run Gaussian blur at 1.

Lightning-7-1.png

Effects/photo/sharpen at 3, then ctrl-f to do it again.

Step 5:

New layer, grab white as your color, select 4 for your brush size, and start outlining most of your lines.

(Only get about 3-5 of your sparks). Then run feather at 1-1 with true feather checked.

Merge layer down until you only have your black/gray background and one other image, then duplicate it.

Lightning-8.png

Step 6:

On the duplicated layer, set the blend mode to color dodge, and run Gaussian blur so that you can see

a glow, but it's not to bright so prob. around 40-60. It should look something like this.

Lightning-9.png

Step 7:

Add a new layer, set the blend mode to color dodge, and grab your light color. Set it's brush size to ten,

and the opacity to 10, then Start painting it over the parts you want to be brighter then the rest. Then,

grab your dark color and color over parts were it needs to be around the color of your choice, so for

my case, were it needs to be bluer.

Lightning-10.png

Final Step:

Now, add a new layer, set it to color dodge, the brush size 2, :AntiAliasingOn: on, and start painting

some random sparks all over your man bolt and branches with your dark color. There needs to be a lot here.

After everything one of those sparks is out, Gaussian blur at 1, and your done!

Lightning-12.png

We should all be... Alive...

40945_1368895504325_1289821857_30902863_6462857_n.jpg

|Lightning|My Dome|Pokemon sig tut|

I have to be honest...When i first seen the name of this i thought it was gonna be some crappy Clouds lightning again...

But i obviously misjudged it...Nice tutorial :D

Mineoman, I'm slightly confused (that's not too hard to do these days)

"First, select your dark color. (Your dark color should be a darker version of your light.)

Then, turn down the opacity to 10. Add a new layer, and start drawing your outline with the brush size 30."

In selecting a dark and light colors, which did you use?

I turn down opacity on the 1st layer, correct?, and etch on new layer right??

I ask, because I followed you directions, and my lines resembled nothing like yours.....mine came out very vibrant in color.

I like your tutorial, a good lightining bolt is hard to come by.

thank you

I selected different shades on my palette, and the opacity should stay 255 on all layers.

When I mean turn down the opacity, I mean how much your bush sprays. Like how transparent it is.

We should all be... Alive...

40945_1368895504325_1289821857_30902863_6462857_n.jpg

|Lightning|My Dome|Pokemon sig tut|

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...