paint.net 4.0.3 is now available

I was so happy to see the latest release of PDN and then so VERY unhappy to find that the program will only run on Windows 7 or later. What about us poor dinosaurs who still run Vista, in my case, or even XP for others?

As a disabled person on a pension, I can afford neither a new computer nor to purchase Windows 7 to upgrade my system.

I think this is most unfair and deprives us of the new features available with this version.

Sorry. As has been noted several times, there are features in the new version that are simply not possible to do in older versions of Windows.

Incidentally, if you're running Windows XP, you're in bad shape. Microsoft stopped supporting that this year; in the months to come, users of Windows XP are going to be attacked by so many viruses, attacks, and trojans that it's essentially like being on a leaking submarine. It's only a matter of time before the ship sinks.

• Upvote 1

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

katlomas, I was really saying that for the benefit of other people who might happen upon this post.

I'm sorry that you're going to be unable to join users on Paint.NET 4. PDN 3.5.11 is still a great program. :)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Rick announced the Win7+ requirement on his blog back in 2011 http://blog.getpaint.net/category/update-news/page/3/

David, I did say my system was running Vista, so the XP problems are not my concern.

It seems I am stuck with the older version of PDN. That is just my bad luck, I suppose.

It's not that bad, do you know how many people like paint.net 3.5.11 more than they do paint.net 4.0? Also, not all plugins work for paint.net 4.0, so you still have a slightly larger selection of plugins for paint.net 3.5.11. And honestly, I'm so used to paint.net 3.5.11, that it's still my comfort zone. A lot of habits for 3.5.11 are killed in 4.0 and new habits have to be formed.

It's actually great to see someone like you who wants to join in on the 4.0 fun, since there are seriously too many people who are grieving over their forced updates rather than enjoying it. I do hope the day will come for you when you can join the new Paint.NET experience. :)

Now, a tip, I know you said you can't get a new PC yet, and surprisingly, I think that's fine for now (aside from the virus risks, as that's bad).

There are already roomers of a Windows 9 floating about, because Windows 8 was not Microsoft's best idea (sorry, no offense to those who like win 8). So waiting a little while longer for the next windows might be a smarter choice, or trying to find an on sale deal for windows 7 might be good too.

If you are curious about any of the things I've mentioned, just do some internet searches.

Edited by Cc4FuzzyHuggles

I recently installed the 4.0.3 version and the plugin pack - the 4g(?)memory using download, (the one that looked like it had all the bells and whistles), and my alpha blur plugin is not working.  

I cannot find a thread regarding an update or patch since 2013 - I guess these threads are for older versions.

I really need this blur.  I have windows 7 on a laptop and I installed this program about 4 days ago.

Any suggestions?

btw:  This is a fantastic program!  I am no longer reduced to frustrated tears over the tactile issues and my brain limitations concerning GIMP.

This is much closer to the feel of photoshop and I am pleased with the interface.  I would suggest, however, that the effects list be broken down into bite size tabs - that's a whole lot of list to swim through to get to a single effect.

Right at this moment, though, I am really needing to get the alpha blur working.

Thank you for your time.  :)

I recently installed the 4.0.3 version and the plugin pack - the 4g(?)memory using download, (the one that looked like it had all the bells and whistles), and my alpha blur plugin is not working.

Ouch. Let's hope you didn't fall for this: http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/28270-megalo-virus/

Go HERE and download yourself a fresh new version of Alpha Blur.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I've got a bit of a problem.   I had to buy another computer, the old Dell I was using with windows XP just gave up the ghost. SO I bought a new one with Windows 8.  Getting used to it and needed to download paintnet onto my new PC.   I've been trying to download the plug ins  I had on the previous machine, however I keep getting a "You'll need to provide administrator permission to copy this folder"message, below that there are 3 buttons, continue....skip....and cancel.   I tried this with Pyro-child pack and also Ed Harvey pack. The only 2 plugins I had on the old machine.  

Any help is appreciated.  Thanks!!

Hello @vtdad - I get that on my Windows 7 when I try to add new plugins to the Effects Folder.  All you need to do is hit 'Continue' :)

post-46880-0-75390100-1408896685_thumb.p

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

Thanks Pixey, but I've tried that.  Oh well, will give it some more tries.  All is well here, I'm now a proud grandfather, so I've got even more reason to get this thing back up and running!!!!

Thanks so much!

VTdad.

• Upvote 1

• 5 weeks later...

the removal of zoom buttons is annoying.

i always draw with my tablet, so to zoom/unzoom now, i'm forced to drop my pen, and to use the mouse to that (in the menu or with CTRL)

oh, and the layers box is not fixed, every time i open the program, it's still small in lower right corner, whatever i did with it previous time ( usually putting it on the top, and streching on all the height)

Edited by Rebel O Conner

the removal of zoom buttons is annoying.

i always draw with my tablet, so to zoom/unzoom now, i'm forced to drop my pen, and to use the mouse to that (in the menu or with CTRL)

The zoom controls are in the lower right corner of the main window.

oh, and the layers box is not fixed, every time i open the program, it's still small in lower right corner, whatever i did with it previous time ( usually putting it on the top, and streching on all the height)

After resizing the Layers window, grab it by it's title bar and drag it until it "snaps" into the corner of the editing window. It should persist in this position + size.

• 2 weeks later...

Am I missing something here?  Obviously I am.  I was using Paint.net Version 3.5-something for years on my old computer, XP.  I wasn't very advanced, nor seek to be, but had actually become quite adept at doing what I wanted.  When I got a new computer, using Windows 8.1, as I recall I just tried to install my old version of Paint into it, but that version didn't work with this Windows, so I downloaded the new Paint.  I CAN'T DO ALMOST ANYTHING WITH IT!  How do you Select part of the photo?  I use the "free-form" option - and it turns into a rectangle.  Where is the clone tool?  Where is the sharpening tool?  Where is just about ANYTHING?  Where are the TUTORIALS?  When I search for things, I get answers for 2008 or whenever.  I can't believe that most of the prior functionality of this program is gone, so this must be an operator error - that is, ME.  Please help me to use - and LOVE - this program as I did with your prior one!  Thank you in advance.

Hi Robyn. First up - take a deep breath. (Almost) everything is still there, but you might have to look around to find it.

The selection tools are the same as the previous version. Activate them by clicking on the icon in the tools window.

The Clone Tool also uses the same icon as the previous version.

For photo sharpening, you still go to Effects > Photo > Sharpen.

Searching - try this link: http://searchpaint.net

The documentation for paint.net 4 is being rewritten as we speak. I'm up to draft #5. It is a large task and I am a volunteer with many other demands on my time. Please be patient :D

Hi Robyn. Wow, going from XP to Win 8.1 is a big step. I bet you are struggling with a lot of new ways of working. I know stepping into W 7 was hard enough for me & then W8.1 was a new ball game too. The new PDN has features in keeping with other more modern programs to make it more streamlined & have a similar user interface to make it more user-friendly. Once you get going again with the new program, you will see what we mean. 

Take the time to look around the program. Reading your screen will your best help. Tool tips (when you hover your mouse over a button or symbol, a little label pops up & tells you what it does) will help you locate functions. For example, the windows for layers, colours, tools etc are located at the top right hand corner. Notice that when you click on one of the tools, you get a ribbon above it so that you can make further adjustments? Very useful. 

Please post in the general discussion & questions specific items you need help with & we will provide assistance if we possibly can, remembering that we all give freely of our time & energy & sometimes it is in short supply.

We hope to get you back into the swing of editing images again with more efficient tools & we have some fantastic new plugins to boot. :D

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

Hi Robyn. First up - take a deep breath. (Almost) everything is still there, but you might have to look around to find it.

The selection tools are the same as the previous version. Activate them by clicking on the icon in the tools window.

The Clone Tool also uses the same icon as the previous version.

For photo sharpening, you still go to Effects > Photo > Sharpen.

Searching - try this link: http://searchpaint.net

The documentation for paint.net 4 is being rewritten as we speak. I'm up to draft #5. It is a large task and I am a volunteer with many other demands on my time. Please be patient :D

Thanks for your reply.  But something seems really amiss with my copy.  I get exactly 6 icons on Tools:  Pencil, Paint Bucket, Text, Eraser, Color Picker, and Magnifying Glass.  I can't click on the word "Tools" to see if there are more, because it's gray and unclickable.  Half of everything else is gray and unclickable as well.  Do I have a corrupt copy somehow?  Should I delete it and download it again.  And BTW, is it downloadable from the Paint.net site, or do I have to use some 3rd party who, if I'm not ultra vigilant, is going to download a bunch of other programs that I DON'T WANT and MISTRUST?

Thanks for any help, and of course I will wait for the documentation to be rewritten, but mainly I just want to know, for now, if my copy is valid, or somehow not.

Thanks again,

Robyn

I think you are opening Microsoft Paint - it has those six tool icons. See screenshot here http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Paint

If paint.net is installed you should be able to find it by searching for the full name under Programs or looking inside a folder called /paint.net/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...