paint.net 4.0.3 is now available

Rick Brewster

This update fixes a few small bugs and improves performance. There are still some performance issues when working with lots of layers, particularly when using Layers –> Import From File, but I plan on fixing those in the near future as well. Optimization work is never complete, and is quite fun and rewarding :) !

As usual, you can download it directly from the website, or you can use the built-in updater via Settings –> Updates –> Check Now.

Changes since 4.0.2:

• Further improved performance when working with images that have a lot of layers.

• Fixed some flickering in the Layers form.

• Fixed the Language selector in the Settings dialog.

• Fixed 2-finger touchpad and touch screen scrolling.

• Aero peek thumbnails now include the pixel grid if it’s enabled.

• Fixed a crash in the thumbnail renderer that sometimes happened when switching between images.

• Ctrl+W no longer exits the application if zero images are open.

Enjoy!

• Upvote 1

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Hello.
I found a small problem when working with canvas.

So:
1. Select tool "Rectangle Select"
2. Select an area.
3. Remove the selected area (use "Del" or "Ctrl+X")

4. Select tool "Rectangle Select"
5. Select another area.
6. Select tool "Move Selected Pixels" and move the selection.

6.1 Obtain an image of:

Image >>post-72283-0-97062400-1406119802_thumb.p<<
7. Select tool "Color Picker"
8. View color in transparent areas.

9. In the first area of ​​the color will be - 000000 ("Opacity - Alpha" = 0)
    In the second area of ​​the color will be - FFFFFF ("Opacity - Alpha" = 0)

___

And yet, for example, I want to create a gradient "from transparent to white":

post-72283-0-75950100-1406121445_thumb.p

post-72283-0-77669400-1406121775_thumb.p

It turns out that "Opacity - Alpha" in the red zone is not "0". There is noise with "Opacity - Alpha" = 1.

And in the blue zone "Opacity - Alpha" in the red zone is not "255". There is noise with "Opacity - Alpha" = 254.

The resulting image:

Image >>>>>post-72283-0-84534200-1406121932.png<<<<<

How do I make the gradient (with the option "Antialiasing Enable") to red and blue zone was not noise (with different "Opacity - Alpha")?

Edited by PaintNetRus

Hmm. Looks like there's a discrepancy between 3.5 and 4.0, whereby Edit -> Erase Selection (Del) (and presumably Edit -> Cut) fills with transparent black whereas in 3.5 it filled with transparent white. I'll file a bug. Neither one is "more mathematically correct", but it's important that things work as you expect for the most part.

If you just need these operations to match up, you can work around this for now when using Move Selected Pixels by making sure that your Secondary color is set to black. It will fill the area with the Secondary color with its alpha value set to zero.

The gradient "noise" is a result of dithering. I've already filed a bug to see if I can get it to not apply dithering in the areas where it should obviously be a constant color. For now, when this gets in the way, you can disable antialiasing in the toolbar and then dithering won't be used.

• Upvote 1

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Great, thanks for the update!

All I'd really like to see implemented now is the position of the various tool windows (tools, colors, layers, history) being saved across sessions instead of resetting on startup.

Great, thanks for the update!

All I'd really like to see implemented now is the position of the various tool windows (tools, colors, layers, history) being saved across sessions instead of resetting on startup.

Im pretty sure they already remember their last positions?

eOdUjVm.jpg

Great new update Rick , thanks. ;)

Expanding on what vvye has just said, what I would like to see is the image history  saved in the same way that layers are so you don`t lose it if you have to close the program. Usually I try to keep it going and just minimize when I am finished what I am doing and use sleep instead of shutting down the PC. But sometimes - like Windows Update times - the laptop has to restart which means shutting down PDN and losing my history.

If that`s not possible automatically then how about a setting to be able to do it manually? Exporting it from PDN say to save in a file . We already have PDN User Files in Documents which is created when you install the program and several plug ins use this already.That way you would not use up too much memory. Just a thought.

Please feel free to visit my Gallery on PDNFans

And my Alternatives to PDN

Not for me they don't. (They have in versions prior to 4.0, though.)

All the versions of 4 have remembered their positions for me :)

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

Most interesting; they keep resetting for me no matter what.

Could the issue be that I have 3.5.11 installed along with it? Overlapping registry entries or something?

Anyone experimenting weird behaviour while saving .jpeg images? Usually I could drop an image of 164x164 to the 5-9 kb range, but know I can't go under 12 kb

Screenshot

Don't mind me, it was just that particular image, maybe the color pallete?

Anyway, great update

Edited by samurai1993

Can someone please explain to me how to install this on a 64 bit OS? The application keeps failing with "Error 1603" and all the log says is it can't install on a 64 bit OS. I asked for help last time and all I got was "use the exe not the msi" but I'm NOT USING THE MSI. I desperately need PDN to work right now, so help, please. Any ACTUAL help this time would be appreciated.

My profuse apologies for not answering exactly the way you'd like, but sentences like

Any ACTUAL help this time would be appreciated.

are rude and unhelpful.  Open a troubleshooting thread like you're supposed to, and get your attitude in order.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

My profuse apologies for not answering exactly the way you'd like, but sentences like

are rude and unhelpful.  Open a troubleshooting thread like you're supposed to, and get your attitude in order.

I'd like to think the way you told me to use the EXE like I don't know that was also "rude and unhelpful." And excuse me but I'm new here so I didn't know where to open a thread. And thanks for directing me.

I'm sorry you felt that way. That was not the intent at all.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Good day Rick,

that is great to have new version however was surprised to see that freeform shape has been removed while so many other regular shapes added. I'm using it often to remove multiple small objects adjacent and around some shapes. For example around circle or triangle. It was easy way to do that and now do not know how to make it fast. Perhaps only using brush to paint over each line, small object etc. 

Any problems to keep this tool there? 

Also, where is left triangle?

Thanks and thanks for excellent software!

Kirills

Not meaning to be nagging here, but... can anyone think of a reason the tool window positions keep resetting for me? Could the problem be that I have both 4.0.3 and 3.5.11 installed, and some settings are overriding each other?

Not meaning to be nagging here, but... can anyone think of a reason the tool window positions keep resetting for me? Could the problem be that I have both 4.0.3 and 3.5.11 installed, and some settings are overriding each other?

I don't have the same issue that you do. I have both programs installed, however I try to keep as many programs as I can on an external hard drive.

If you haven't yet, try sharing your PC info here on the forums.

Open Paint.NET 4.0

Look for the Settings icon in the upper right corner of the program

ClickSettingsIcon_zps0ec97a44.jpg

Then Click on the Diagnostics tab

And then the "Copy to Clipboard" button.

PCSpecs_zps83b2f814.jpg

Paste it here in the forms. :)

Edited by Cc4FuzzyHuggles

Alright, here you go:

Application	paint.net v4.0.3 (Final 4.3.5316.40022)
Build Date	Dienstag, 22. Juli 2014

Hardwarebeschleunigtes Rendern (GPU)	True
Animationen	True
DPI	96,00 (1,00x scale)
Sprache	de

OS	Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (6.1.7601.65536)
.NET Runtime	4.0.30319.18444
Physical Memory	3.327 MB

CPU	AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 945 Processor
    Architecture	x86 (32-bit)
    Process Mode	32-bit
    Speed	~3008 MHz
    Cores / Threads	4
    Features	DEP, SSE, SSE2, SSE3

Video Card	NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250
    Dedicated Video RAM	1.007 MB
    Dedicated System RAM	0 MB
    Shared System RAM	1.407 MB
    Vendor ID	0x10DE
    Device ID	0x0615
    Subsystem ID	0x82FB1043
    Revision	162
    LUID	0x00008985
    Flags	None
    Outputs	1

Paint.Net 4.0.3 It is so very very cool. Thank you Rick. 

Edited by Seerose

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

Gandhi

mae3426x.png

Unfortunately I have had a problem with window sizes as well. I don`t know if it had anything to do with it but I had just updated Boltbait`s HueSat+ and GridMaker plugins. When I closed PDN last I had it maximized but after I had updated it opened up minimized. I have included an image and the diagnostics -

Application    paint.net 4.0.3 (Final 4.3.5316.40022)
Build Date    22 July 2014

Hardware accelerated rendering (GPU)    True
Animations    True
DPI    96.00 (1.00x scale)
Language    en-GB

OS    Windows 8 (6.2.9200.0)
.NET Runtime    4.0.30319.18449
Physical Memory    7,848 MB

CPU    Intel® Core i7-4500U CPU @ 1.80GHz
    Architecture    x64 (64-bit)
    Process Mode    64-bit
    Speed    ~2394 MHz
    Cores / Threads    4
    Features    DEP, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4_1, SSE4_2, XSAVE

Video Card    Intel® HD Graphics Family
    Dedicated Video RAM    96 MB
    Dedicated System RAM    0 MB
    Shared System RAM    1,696 MB
    Vendor ID    0x8086
    Device ID    0x0A16
    Subsystem ID    0x079B1025
    Revision    9
    LUID    0x00007EC8
    Flags    None
    Outputs    1

Video Card    Microsoft Basic Render Driver
    Dedicated Video RAM    0 MB
    Dedicated System RAM    0 MB
    Shared System RAM    256 MB
    Vendor ID    0x1414
    Device ID    0x008C
    Subsystem ID    0x00000000
    Revision    0
    LUID    0x00008050
    Flags    Software
    Outputs    0

th_PDNWindows.png

I know it is quite easy to just maximize PDN again with one click but as others seem to be having probs I thought I would mention it.

Please feel free to visit my Gallery on PDNFans

And my Alternatives to PDN

I was so happy to see the latest release of PDN and then so VERY unhappy to find that the program will only run on Windows 7 or later. What about us poor dinosaurs who still run Vista, in my case, or even XP for others?

As a disabled person on a pension, I can afford neither a new computer nor to purchase Windows 7 to upgrade my system.

I think this is most unfair and deprives us of the new features available with this version.

Edited by katlomas