taoyue

Photoshop PSD file plugin (newest version: 2.5.0)

I too just downloaded the newest Paint.net 4.0.12 AND the latest psd plugin 2.5.0 . Now I can't save a freshly created file and it won't open any psd files that I've previously created and/or downloaded.  I did the "2 stage copy" as stated above and my "FileTypes" folder does have the PhotoShop.dll file in there along with only one other dll (IcoCur.dll).

The file opening error is this:

System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'PaintDotNet.Threading.PrivateThreadPool' from assembly 'PaintDotNet.Core, Version=4.12.6099.39434, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.
   at PaintDotNet.Data.PhotoshopFileType.PhotoshopFileType.OnLoad(Stream input)
   at PaintDotNet.FileType.Load(Stream input) in D:\src\pdn\src\Data\FileType.cs:line 496
   at PaintDotNet.Functional.Func.Eval[T1,TRet](Func`2 f, T1 arg1) in D:\src\pdn\src\Base\Functional\Func.cs:line 158

The save error is this:

Preview file size (error)

Then after clicking ok I get this error:

System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'PaintDotNet.Threading.PrivateThreadPool' from assembly 'PaintDotNet.Core, Version=4.12.6099.39434, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.
   at PaintDotNet.Data.PhotoshopFileType.PhotoshopFileType.OnSave(Document input, Stream output, SaveConfigToken token, Surface scratchSurface, ProgressEventHandler callback)
   at PaintDotNet.FileType.Save(Document input, Stream output, SaveConfigToken token, Surface scratchSurface, ProgressEventHandler callback, Boolean rememberToken) in D:\src\pdn\src\Data\FileType.cs:line 293
   at PaintDotNet.Controls.DocumentWorkspace.<>c__DisplayClass240_0.<DoSave>b__2() in D:\src\pdn\src\PaintDotNet\Controls\DocumentWorkspace.cs:line 2925
   at PaintDotNet.Functional.Func.Try(Action f) in D:\src\pdn\src\Base\Functional\Func.cs:line 174

Hopefully these errors will pinpoint the problem.

17 hours ago, pn66 said:

Hopefully these errors will pinpoint the problem.

Those errors only appear if you have PSD Plugin 2.4.1 or earlier installed.  If it is showing up, then PSD Plugin 2.5.0 is not installed properly

People seem to be having trouble because upgrading requires that the old version be overwritten.  You don't have to do this on fresh installs, so this problem doesn't come up.

The best workaround is to first delete the old version:

1. Restart the computer.
  2. Delete Photoshop.dll from C:\Program Files\paint.net\FileTypes
  3. Start Paint.NET and make sure that it cannot open or save PSD files.
  4. Close Paint.NET.

Once this has been done, you can then do a fresh install of PSD Plugin 2.5.0:

1. Download a fresh copy of PSD Plugin 2.5.0 from: http://psdplugin.codeplex.com/downloads/get/1606282
  2. Right-click the ZIP file and select "Extract All ..."
  3. Make sure PhotoShop.dll has the timestamp: 9/11/2016 10:35 PM
  4. Copy PhotoShop.dll into C:\Program Files\paint.net\FileTypes

Thank You taoyue......I did everything you said to do but still had the errors so I completely wiped out the program then re-installed a fresh download to a different drive and it all works great!!!

Thanks Again

On ‎26‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 6:43 PM, taoyue said:

... Make sure PhotoShop.dll has the timestamp: 9/11/2016 10:35 PM

I think the timestamp depends on each user's time zone and date format preferences. On my PC it says: 12/09/16 ‏‎05:35

You're better off advising users to check the version number through the dll properties.

BTW, thank you, taoyue, for as great plugin that I use a lot.

12 hours ago, Djisves said:

I think the timestamp depends on each user's time zone and date format preferences. On my PC it says: 12/09/16 ‏‎05:35

You're better off advising users to check the version number through the dll properties.

BTW, thank you, taoyue, for as great plugin that I use a lot.

The timestamp check is actually not just to verify the file version, but also to check for side effects.  As we saw above, third-party ZIP tools can have trouble with things that work correctly using the Windows built-in ZIP handler.

The built-in ZIP handler in Windows always extracts files with the time set to the local time zone.  No matter which time zone the user is in, the same times will be displayed in Windows Explorer.  I just tried with my system set to Cyprus time (Eastern European time zone), and it shows the correct time.

Aha! Well I always use WinRAR. Matter of habit I guess as I've been using it for ages and ages.

Apart from the difference in the date format and the adjustment for the time zone, I'm pleased to report NO side effects.

When I tried to open .psd files this morning, I got an error message, the same one that can be found here:

After I downloaded, and unzipped the new plugin files, Windows defender alerted me that it found Malware/Trojan whatever. I immediately quarantined and removed the issue, then deleted the plugin zip files.

Has anyone else ran into this problem? I really need to be able to open my photoshop files in paintnet.

23 hours ago, DigiScraps said:

After I downloaded, and unzipped the new plugin files, Windows defender alerted me that it found Malware/Trojan whatever. I immediately quarantined and removed the issue, then deleted the plugin zip files.

Has anyone else ran into this problem? I really need to be able to open my photoshop files in paintnet.

Windows Defender does not alert on PSDPlugin-2.5.0.zip.  VirusTotal also gives it a clean bill of health at 55 different malware scanners: https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/309c44f2ceec555b0efddda81679a54a0bb89fccc38b784cc4c8609e87e4327e/analysis/

The problem may be caused by a browser add-on.  I would suggest using a different web browser to download the plugin.  Windows 10 Edge would be a good choice because it has very few add-ons available.  However, any web browser will do except the one that you normally use.  Make sure to copy-paste the direct link to the download: http://psdplugin.codeplex.com/downloads/get/1606282

If you continue to have this problem even with a different web browser, please do NOT delete the file.  Submit the file to VirusTotal for analysis, and post the URL here.

I'm having a problem opening a .PSD file in paint.net.

I'm getting a .net error as follows:

at PaintDotNet.Data.PhotoshopFileType.PsdLoad.Load(Stream input)
   at PaintDotNet.FileType.Load(Stream input) in D:\src\pdn\src\Data\FileType.cs:line 496
   at PaintDotNet.Functional.Func.Eval[T1,TRet](Func`2 f, T1 arg1) in D:\src\pdn\src\Base\Functional\Func.cs:line 158

Thanks, Avi

@taoyue  -- Greetings,

I followed your instructions and reinstalled the plugin v. 2.5, but I'm still getting the damned error message when I try to save as photoshop...

at PaintDotNet.Data.PhotoshopFileType.PsdSave.Save(Document input, Stream output, PsdSaveConfigToken psdToken, Surface scratchSurface, ProgressEventHandler callback)

at PaintDotNet.FileType.Save(Document input, Stream output, SaveConfigToken token, Surface scratchSurface, ProgressEventHandler callback, Boolean rememberToken) in D:\src\pdn\src\Data\FileType.cs:line 293

at PaintDotNet.Controls.DocumentWorkspace.<>c__DisplayClass240_0.<DoSave>b__2() in D:\src\pdn\src\PaintDotNet\Controls\DocumentWorkspace.cs:line 2925

at PaintDotNet.Functional.Func.Try(Action f) in D:\src\pdn\src\Base\Functional\Func.cs:line 174

What else is there that I can do?  Thanks,

Bruce

PSDPlugin-2.5.0(1).zip

-------------------------------------------

Edit: I use the latest version of Paint.Net with v. 2.5.0 of the PSD Plugin, and Windows 10 on a PC.  The plugin used to work up until recently.  I'm assuming the problem came up when I updated Paint.Net last.  I installed the new plugin, but the problem remains.

Edited by Ambreville
Updated text.

59 minutes ago, Ambreville said:

What else is there that I can do?

I'm guessing you didn't actually install the new version.

I can verify that the new version works fine with paint.net v4.0.12.

8 minutes ago, BoltBait said:

I'm guessing you didn't actually install the new version.

I can verify that the new version works fine with paint.net v4.0.12.

This is the version I am running. You can see this in the text of the error message:  << Version=4.12.6099.39434 >>  I have updates on automatic anyway.  =)

Edited by Ambreville

Sorry for not being clear.  What I was trying to say is that I don't believe you installed the latest version of the plugin.

33 minutes ago, BoltBait said:

Sorry for not being clear.  What I was trying to say is that I don't believe you installed the latest version of the plugin.

Version 2.5.0 dated Sept 11 2016, which I got from here.  See attached to my original post.  Is there another???

Here are the contents of the unextracted zip file:

screenshot.png

Edited by Ambreville

20 minutes ago, Ambreville said:

Here are the contents of the unextracted zip file:

Your image clearly shows the files have not been extracted from the zip.

And - remember to put the .dll in the File TYPES folder and not Effects.

56 minutes ago, Pixey said:

And - remember to put the .dll in the File TYPES folder and not Effects.

You could have noticed that I did put the zip folder in the right place, judging from the image I posted.  I did extract its contents (yes, in the right place, thank you very much).  I was just showing the contents of the *unextracted* zip folder to show it was the correct version.  You can only see the date of the plugin while it is still in its zip folder.  Once it is extracted, the dll file only shows the date it was extracted.  Sheesh...

Edited by Ambreville

No need to get persnickety @Ambreville ;).  We help a lot of people each day and you'd be surprised how often just a little thing can get overlooked.

2 minutes ago, Pixey said:

No need to get persnickety @Ambreville ;).  We help a lot of people each day and you'd be surprised how often just a little thing can get overlooked.

Thanks for your help.  The information you'd referred to was provided.  Since I followed Taoyue's instructions to replace the old dll file (which was working until recently), I know the new one is correctly installed.  It looks like something in Paint.Net is interfering with that plugin.  The question is: what?

Hopefully @Taoyue will log on sometime soon to give his 2 cents worth.  He's usually very good at that.  Hang in there B).