taoyue

Photoshop PSD file plugin (newest version: 2.5.0)

4 minutes ago, Pixey said:

Hopefully @Taoyue will log on sometime soon to give his 2 cents worth.  He's usually very good at that.  Hang in there B).

Hope so.  I looked up the plugin errors, under Settings.  The PSD plugin isn't listed there, so it should be functioning correctly.  Still no luck.

screenshot.png

Hmmm - could be Gremlins :D.  Seriously though you can email him directly.  I won't post the email here, but if you go to the site when you download the latest edition of the Plugin he has his email there and asks for people to email when they have trouble.  It will be interesting to know what is going on.  Good Luck :).

27 minutes ago, Ambreville said:

You can only see the date of the plugin while it is still in its zip folder.  Once it is extracted, the dll file only shows the date it was extracted.

If your archiving program is messing with the timestamp, you should consider replacing it.

Windows Explorer can display the File Version just fine.

psd.png

13 minutes ago, Ambreville said:

I know the new one is correctly installed.  It looks like something in Paint.Net is interfering with that plugin.

I'm sorry, but you are mistaken. The newest version (2.5.0) of the plugin doesn't make reference to 'PaintDotNet.Threading.PrivateThreadPool' anymore, so the crashlog you posted could not have possibly come from version 2.5.0.

1 minute ago, Pixey said:

Hmmm - could be Gremlins :D.  Seriously though you can email him directly.  I won't post the email here, but if you go to the site when you download the latest edition of the Plugin he has his email there and asks for people to email when they have trouble.  It will be interesting to know what is going on.  Good Luck :).

OK, thanks.

3 minutes ago, toe_head2001 said:

If your archiving program is messing with the timestamp, you should consider replacing it.

psd.png

I'm sorry, but you are mistaken. The newest version (2.5.0) of the plugin doesn't make reference to 'PaintDotNet.Threading.PrivateThreadPool' anymore, so the crashlog you posted could not have possibly come from version 2.5.0.

Well, I use Windows 10.  Nothing else.  I've no plan for replacing Windows 10.  In any case I was showing the correct version of the plugin.  So this doesn't seem to be an issue.

5 minutes ago, toe_head2001 said:

psd.png

The crash log came up as the result of my attempt to save a file as photoshop, using the newer plugin.   

7 minutes ago, Ambreville said:

The crash log came up as the result of my attempt to save a file as photoshop, using the newer plugin.

No, it did not.  As I said before, you have not installed the new version.  If you had, you would never have received that error message.

8 minutes ago, BoltBait said:

No, it did not.  As I said before, you have not installed the new version.  If you had, you would never have received that error message.

Well,  the installed dll file is clearly marked as the one dated Sept 11 2016 (see my earlier screenshot).  I got it from the zip folder labeled Version 2.5.0, which I downloaded this morning (I attached that folder to my original post)  -- as far as I can tell, that's the correct plugin.  I deleted the older plugin before installing the new one.  I don't know what else to tell you.

<< No, it did not. >>  I didn't invent it, if that's what you're thinking.  If the error comes up when I attempt to save as psd, and that's what shows in the log, the logical assumption is that something's wrong with the plugin.  At least this was my assumption when I came here looking for a fix.

Edited by Ambreville
Updated text.

1 minute ago, Ambreville said:

I don't know what else to tell you.

Ditto.

1 minute ago, toe_head2001 said:

Dumb question time... Did you restart paint.net after upgrading the plugin?

Oh yeah!  I also rebooted the PC multiple times (after shutting down Paint.Net, after removing the old plugin, after installing the new one, etc.)  :)

38 minutes ago, Ambreville said:

<< No, it did not. >>  I didn't invent it, if that's what you're thinking.

I'm not saying you invented the error message.  What I'm saying is that you still have the older version of the plugin installed and that's where the error message is coming from.

1 hour ago, Ambreville said:

Hope so.  I looked up the plugin errors, under Settings.  The PSD plugin isn't listed there, so it should be functioning correctly.  Still no luck.

screenshot.png

BTW, you should delete all the files listed in that dialog box.  Those files are doing you no good at all.

Did you download something called the Megalo Pack of plugins?

4 minutes ago, BoltBait said:

I'm not saying you invented the error message.  What I'm saying is that you still have the older version of the plugin installed and that's where the error message is coming from.

I posted the contents of my FileTypes folder in an earlier post (several minutes ago).  If you see an old plugin there, please let me know.  As far as can tell, it's the latest one.  Thanks!

As regards Megalo -- I honestly don't remember.  I downloaded a whole bunch of these plugins years ago.  I haven't had any problems since then, up until I discovered the issue with psd files yesterday.  I've created hundreds of psd files up until last August without any problems otherwise.  The only thing I can think of that changed since August was going from Win 8 to Win 10, and updating Paint.Net to the latest version -- I think.  Can you name one plugin file from Megalo?  I'll see if I have it under "Effects."

Read this:

Many of your plugins are really old.  I recommend deleting all the files in your Effects folder and downloading from this forum the latest versions of the plugins you use.

EDIT: You might want to search your system for PhotoShop.dll and see if it is installed in any other directory.

2 minutes ago, BoltBait said:

Read this:

Many of your plugins are really old.  I recommend deleting all the files in your Effects folder and downloading from this forum the latest versions of the plugins you use.

EDIT: You might want to search your system for PhotoShop.dll and see if it is installed in any other directory.

What are the most common plugin packs?  These were pretty handy IIRC.  I'd hate to accidentally delete a plugin I need and not be able to find it again. I use a good number of those, and I'm still working on understanding what others actually do.  At least I can clean out the ones that show errors.  If anything, it'll speed up PaintNet when I load it.

<<search your system for PhotoShop.dll >>  Excellent idea!  I'd checked PaintNet's root directory, but omitted to look under Effects.  Sure enough, there was that old one from last year.  Deleted, and problem solved.  Phew!  Finally...

Thanks!

Ambreville, in the Effects menu of paint.net, you can hover your mouse over each entry and see the filename that each effect comes from.  Make notes of your favorites.

I recommend deleting EVERYTHING in your Effects folder and downloading effects from here: http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/forum/44-plugin-packs/

In addition to cleaning out your Effects folder, please also clean out your FileTypes folder:

1. In Windows Explorer, go to C:\Program Files\paint.net\Effects
  2. Delete all files.
  3. Take a screenshot here.
  4. In Windows Explorer, go to C:\Program Files\paint.net\FileTypes
  5. Delete all files.
  6. Take a screenshot here.
  7. If Windows cannot delete any files, restart the computer and try again.

Next, make sure that the old version of the PSD Plugin is actually gone:

1. Start Paint.NET.
  2. File-Open
  3. Click the dropdown for "All image types"
  4. Take a screenshot here.
  5. Make sure that "Photoshop (*.psd)" does NOT appear on the dropdown list.
  6. Exit Paint.NET.

Finally, follow these steps to download and install the new version of the plugin: https://psdplugin.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Installation

Follow each step exactly, even if you normally do the same thing in a different way.  These steps have been tested by many users who initially had difficulty installing the plugin, and they are known to work on Windows 7 through Windows 10.

It has come to my attention that Codeplex downloads are being blocked in many browsers, including Chrome.  Every download on Codeplex.com is being blocked -- even Microsoft programs like the Windows USB/DVD Download Tool!

If you are running Windows 10, the Edge browser can still download the PSD Plugin successfully.  If you are not using Windows 10, you can download the latest version of the PSD Plugin here: http://www.psdplugin.com/

Hello taoyue, I confirm, your file is blocked by Chrome as well as Firefox. There is a message stating that there is a virus or malware. However, I was able to download it using Edge and Opera.

Hi - I was able to download it OK via Outlook Express ( I'm not sure which browser that would be using) but I have Chrome and Firefox on my computer.  All I had to do was give the Administrator heads-up.

There is currently a URL block in effect against all downloads on Codeplex.  The file checks out with a clean bill of health on VirusTotal.com.

I have placed a link to the alternate download site on the PSD Plugin Codeplex page, and I have reported the problem to the people who run Codeplex.

Since it is a URL block, that's about all I can do.  Google requires the operator of the website (Microsoft) to get in touch with them to get the block lifted.