How to Install Plugins ×

HOW TO INSTALL PLUGINS/General Plugin Troubleshooting Thread

RaveN

Effect Plugins reside in the Paint.NET/Effects folder. Filetypes (those plugins that deal with what types of files can be saved & loaded) reside in the Paint.NET/FileTypes folder.

Both of these folders should be present after you install PDN.

I dont have either of those! All I have is a "Palettes" folder. How do you get those folders? Can you just add them? Once again, if so how?

Right-click on your Paint.NET icon and select "Properties".

In the dialog box that comes up, push the "Find Target" button (or "Open File Location" if you're on Vista).

In the window that opens, double-click on the "Effects" folder.

O_o Thank you so much!!!

Happiness depends upon ourselves.

-Aristotle

... then we have to open it up and check it everytime so's to make sure we don't crash it because we forgot to remove a plug-in dll.

It's unecessary to check every time. Just click the "view plugin errors" when you update the version of PDN or download a new plugin. If you encounter a crash when using a plugin, then check for an update (this shouldn't happen too often though). More on this can be found here: http://blog.getpaint.net/2007/10/31/pai ... or-plugins

... when yall update your plug-in's why is'nt it we can't get a email saying update to bla bla...

Plugins are downloaded by thousands of users. I'm simply not going to track a huge list of downloaders in order to tell them to update. Sorry.

Plugins are downloaded by thousands of users. I'm simply not going to track a huge list of downloaders in order to tell them to update. Sorry.

Well I'm not saying that at all that would be crazy I know..I look for the updates for some of the effects..So I know....But have a page on here just for the person that made the update..with no comments to be made to that page...with a email address to the person that made the effect So we don't have to wait here to get a reply are a lot of people jumping in saying look what I did with it...are try this and that person has no idea what he's even talking about and making the post to the effect longer and page after page to get to the point he's trying to make because others are jumping in asking other questions..thats all. I know a lot of yall are here to help and thats great but me being a newbie...most of us don't know that,

I'm the type of person if you made it I want you talk to that person go right to the one that made it..and maybe this way being able to contact that person by email on a one on one could set a time to fix the problem...but for one make it faster and not loading down the forum with junk...hunting for a reply and posting one day then two days later getting a reply then comment then when he feels like coming back here to help...he does next week..

But really thats all I'm saying you guys been doing it this way and thats how yall like it and thats fine...but for people that don't know nothing about trying to get help...I think it would make it better...

But what ever....just making a point thats all..no harm...no fuss..moe..

desertcrashsig.gif

Captain need more power. Are more PDN hehe

I'm the type of person if you made it I want you talk to that person go right to the one that made it..and maybe this way being able to contact that person by email on a one on one could set a time to fix the problem.

There is always the PM button (Private Message). This allows you to contact the plugin Author directly. But there is a word of caution: be sure you have read through the thread pertaining to the plugin to make sure you're not rehashing a known problem.

Another thought on this issue: Wouldn't your inquiry (and solution) benefit others? I believe that this is one of the strengths of the forum.

I gotta second the "wouldn't your comment help others" thing. In the beginning, I would pm people and whether or not they answered me directly, they always encouraged me to post my query in the thread also (some more politely than others). I have since seen first hand where this works. Sometimes its just an oh yeah, thanks I had the same problem -- but sometimes it leads to further discussion which pushes the update to the plugin. Just sayin.

my bad see I forgot all about the pm...button and your right..now that I think it threw...just maybe I need to sit back and think threw it all before going off with some stupid Idea hahhahahah see what getting old does to you..shessssss Going back to the old saying...( if it's works why fix it...) :shock:

desertcrashsig.gif

Captain need more power. Are more PDN hehe

Can someone help me please!

I installed a buncha plugins (e.g. pyrochild,boltbait, etc.), and extracted the files to my desktop. I then opened the effects folder in paint.net found in my program files.

I just copied all of them to the "effects" folder, but it came up with this:

Error Moving File or Folder - Cannot move *insert plugin name*: Access is denied.

Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use.

Ok, so after that, I just tried to unzip directly to the effects folder. Every single plugin, even the ones that weren't boltbait/pyrochild, asked me for a password...

Is this normal? What do I do? please help!!

The plug ins wont work when I download them...What am I doing wrong? I save em into the effects or whatever folder, then extract em and they won't work. I even go through them, going on 'properties' and unblocking them but nothing works...

• 3 weeks later...

@lotusrich who made another topic in the wrong section (he was referred here)

Make sure your putting them in the folder program files>Paint.net>effects

and make sure your puttign it in the appropriate bit type if you have 64 bit vista

I found the post where it showed how the "color replacer" worked and I thought I understood it, but I didn't. I just moved up from Windows 98 and CorelDraw 4 - in that paint program it was very easy to "select" the color I wanted to change and then to "select" the color I wanted it to be. I am an amateur - I realize that.

Then I found the post that the "color replacer" program should be put into the Effects folder - then I could access it (above paragraph was after I found where to move it to)

can I access the color dropper someway to choose the color I want to change?

What do I access to choose the color I want to change?

I tried using the dropper to access color 1 and then put a secondary color in

it didn't work.

I tried selecting the area I wanted to change then did color 1 and color 2 and then opened "Color replacer" but I can't seem to get it to work.

If anyone wants to contact me offline - fine with me.

SNV

Have you:

1. Downloaded and extracted the files (if zipped)?

2. Moved the *.dll files into the Paint.NET/Effects folder? (or /filetype folder if the plugin is a filetype)

3. Restarted Paint.NET?

More details would be helpful: What plugin, version of PDN, operating system?

*stupidity enters this thread*

ok. I just downloaded my first 3 plug ins. I didn't see an option of where to save them...so they are unblocked and on my desktop. How do I "unzip" them (if they need to be unzipped?) and how do I put them into the paint.net folder. You have the "effects" file but I have no idea how to move it there :( I'm kinda dense with computers but once I learn something I do pretty well. Please help me, and give simple detailed help :P

I'm using vista and dowloaded them using firefox. I also closed the program (paint.net) while doing the downloads.

ok. I just downloaded my first 3 plug ins. I didn't see an option of where to save them...so they are unblocked and on my desktop. How do I "unzip" them (if they need to be unzipped?)...

find where you downloaded them to. If they have .zip file extensions, right click on them, and choose "extract", or double-click, and choose "extract all". Copy any extracted files with a .dll extension to c:\program files\paint.net\effects (look for readme files for additional instructions for specific plugins).

and how do I put them into the paint.net folder. You have the "effects" file but I have no idea how to move it there :( I'm kinda dense with computers but once I learn something I do pretty well. Please help me, and give simple detailed help :P

I'm using vista and dowloaded them using firefox. I also closed the program (paint.net) while doing the downloads.

I think firefox usually drops downloaded files on my desktop.

drakaan sig jan 2020.png

ok. I just downloaded my first 3 plug ins. I didn't see an option of where to save them...so they are unblocked and on my desktop. How do I "unzip" them (if they need to be unzipped?)...

find where you downloaded them to. If they have .zip file extensions, right click on them, and choose "extract", or double-click, and choose "extract all". Copy any extracted files with a .dll extension to c:\program files\paint.net\effects (look for readme files for additional instructions for specific plugins).

and how do I put them into the paint.net folder. You have the "effects" file but I have no idea how to move it there :( I'm kinda dense with computers but once I learn something I do pretty well. Please help me, and give simple detailed help :P

I think firefox usually drops downloaded files on my desktop.

drakaan sig jan 2020.png

Hi - I can't get mine to work yet but I know how to move files.

after you find your three plugins and make sure you have extracted (unzipped) them.

first - find where you have paint.net open it going to computer first - then open it

and look for the EFFECTS folder - that is where you will be going to go to plugin.

There are different ways to do this - but I'm giving the simple (I think) way.

Go to your first Plug-in highlight it with a left click and then double right click - you

should have a list of things you can do to the file. I would click on COPY then you

can go back to Paint.net EFFECTS - open EFFECTS folder and double right click on a clear

area of your screen - you see one of the options is PASTE - click on that and you should

see your first Plug-in. Do it for the other two. Look where they were originally (on your desktop?) and look for small text files on desktop that might be for them - if you find any,

copy them and paste them in effects and read each one before you use your plug-ins - mine

did not have one. Then open Paint.net and open - check each plugin before you delete the files sitting on your desktop - but if they show up and work on paint.net you don't need the original ones anymore - I hope it works.

snv33803@verizon.net