How to Install Plugins ×

Animated Image 2.4 - AGIF & APNG

Simon Brown

On Windows 7 x64 with latest version of Paint.NET and the Java framework and the latest version of the linked Command Line utility this plugin no longer works for saving animated PNG images. When attempting to save, it cannot compute the file size and Paint.NET reports that there was an error whilst saving the image. The created .APNG is 0 bytes in size.

signature.png

I have a question. When i save the animation and play it back, the entire frame seems to go up by ten pixels and a white bar appears at the bottom for a fraction of a second when the animation repeats. Is this normal? I've saved the file as .gif, and everything else works correctly. Please note that this is an 800x600 20-frame animation.

Space...The Final Frontier. -James Tiberius Kirk; circa 2260s

YLOD VICTIM

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

For people having problems with dithering of .gif images, I found that most of the 256 colours in the .gif palette are based on multiples of 51 for the RBG values i.e. (0, 51, 102, 153, 204 and 255.) Any colour with these values will not break down into other colous when saved as a .gif. So as long as people only use those colours, the picture will turn out correct.

There is a plug-in that I saw that will change colours in a picture to the colour closest in a defined palette, Which should work, but I don't remember what it was called.

Having six values for three variables gives only 216 possible colours; I don't know what the other 40 could be.

--Nekura

• 1 month later...

On Windows 7 x64 with latest version of Paint.NET and the Java framework and the latest version of the linked Command Line utility this plugin no longer works for saving animated PNG images. When attempting to save, it cannot compute the file size and Paint.NET reports that there was an error whilst saving the image. The created .APNG is 0 bytes in size.

The same has been happening to me!

This is the reason why I made an account to ask if there is a way around this error i keep getting.

Thank you for any help!

• 3 weeks later...

There is a folder in Documents called Paint.NET User Files, I was referring to that.

nope there no folder named like that on my wohle computer. should I just create one Documents\Paint.NET User Files (using win7)

Clicking open palettes folder should create it for you.

169qflv.png

yeah did it thx

EDIT: Can't save as apng either (Win7 64Bit)

EDIT 2: I tested you plugin to see if it works better than the current program I used to create animated gifs with before:

the first picture was made with Gif-X the second with you plugin:

sharingan400sasukelevel.gif

Gif-X:

- each picture has to be saved as a single file and be loaded in Gif-X

- gif flickers

+ you can adjust the time for each picture

+ transparency possible

+ some other useful functions

- add shown under the save window

sharingan400sasukelevel.gif

Plugin:

+ each picture in another layer of the same file -> storable as single pdn file (to make an animated gif just save as an rename file extension)

- gif flickers

- colors act weird

- same time for all pictures (and unclear how many time it actually is)

- no transparency possible (or I did not find out how)

Edited by Djerun

hi, im new here sorry dunno where else to ask this.

I make a lot of 'em gif images, but some websites change gif images directly to jpeg and then my transparrant background disappears.. I know that there are programs that can change the extension from .gif to .jpg while the gifimage keeps its transparency. But whats the name of that program?

Ofcourse remotelinking gifimages is an option but this isnt just always possible.

Not working!!

I can't seem to be able to save or open aGIF or aPNG files.

It doesn't give me the option to save in aGIF or aPNG when I click on "Save As".

I don't have a problem when installing effects, this is the first one that doesn't work.

Help?

[EDIT]

FINALLY!!

I figured it out.

Instead of putting this in the EFFECTS folder, you have to put it in the FileTypes folder... I wasn't paying attention when I put it in.

You NEED to tell people this!

Edited by Trew

Instead of putting this in the EFFECTS folder, you have to put it in the FileTypes folder... I wasn't paying attention when I put it in.

You NEED to tell people this!

And you NEED to chill out.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

Doesn't work for me..

I rename them to .agif file but then I can't open it.

I put it in the filetype folder but still, nothing happens. The .gif doesn't move. And it doesn't take each frame to the layers. :/ Help please, I really need this plugin.

Edited by BSkull

.agif is only watchable in PDN (each frame is one layer) or in IrfanView (animated)!

It won't move IN PDN. Which adjustment did you have chosen when you saved the .agif in PDN?

@Simon: Does it just support 256 colors?

I'm confused now..

I opened the gif in PDN and saved it as a .agif, when I tried to re-open that .agif it couldn't even open it. I used the IrfanView thing but that confused me aswell..

And I don't understand what you meant with "Which adjustment did you have chosen when you saved the .agif in PDN"

Rename the original .gif to.agif before opening it in Paint.NET.

If you open it as .gif in Paint.NET it is converted to a single-layer GIF.

That is what I did, but PDN couldn't open the .agif and it was not in my folder when I tried to open it.

Example:

You can open a gif, jpg, tiff, tga etc.

But is there supposed to be "open as .agif" too?

Like this:

r5t9cvqb.png

If it is, there is no ".agif" that I can select..

And I'm absolutely sure that I placed this plug-in in the FileType folder.

EDIT: Ok, I can open an .agif file now (The problem was there was a FileType folder IN a FileType folder which messed it up) but it's still just one layer that doesn't move..

Edited by BSkull