How to Install Plugins ×

Animated Image 2.4 - AGIF & APNG

Simon Brown

Animated GIFs actually have the same extension as normal ones. However, as PDN can already open normal GIFs, if I assign my extension to .gif you won't be able to use it as Paint.NET's native handler would take preference. So I use .agif instead and to get it to work you must rename .gif files to .agif before opening, and .agif files to .gif after saving.

OK I got it to work once. But now when I save my files as .agif the screen pops up to ask me about delay and looping etc, but everything transparent and even more always turns black and stays there saving my animated graphic that way. What am I doing wrong?

The agif part doesn't support transparency.

Oh, ok. Is there anyway to make my background transparent for my animated graphic through paint.net with? Would an .apdn file support it? and would that file convert to .gif? THankyou so much for answering all my questions!

Actually I've been experimenting...becuase this has been really bothering me. And if you make all your backgrounds white and then save as .agif it makes the background transparent for you!

Thanks Again!

this gr8 and all but i made a gif tht used 72 frames and though i wanted it in etter quality apngs can only have 20 or less frames i belive(read sumwhere in the topic)

but how about an animated jpeg? i saw one of homer simpson once a long time ago :P i rlly thought only gifs could be animated so it sorta puzzled me when i first saw it but i gues its possible if u can animate a png

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to see quality settings when saveing as agif.

I made a new document, when I was done, I saved it as agif, when I reopened it today, the back ground was blank, and so the gif would have a weird black back ground when viewed through a web page...

I figured out how to do "global" for the fill settings and I could change it back to white, but then that degraded the fine 8 point font of my image.

I think that if you save a normal gif you get a chance to change the dithering level and transparency threshold so the Save AS process does not give the gif a clear background, when in fact you wanted a white background..

I first though lost a days work. :shock: :oops: :cry: My kids did not know I could cuss so much.. :mrgreen:

It would also be a kick < no swearing > thing to have a longer delay than 40.

:wink:

• 1 month later...

i know this is a bump, but i really wanted to test this thing out quite some time ago, but i really never got a chance, i downloaded it, did everything, the *agif appears on the open/save as but i cant rename the ".Gif" to ".agif", each time i try it stays like "gif" so i open up a single layere gif, no animation at all.....any help?

sry for the bmp >_>

simon brown

By default, this plugin doesn't support the saving of animated PNGs, but you can add support for them by following these instructions. The plugin doesn't include this command-line tool by default due to its license, which forbids redistribution. Note that to add APNG support you will need the Java runtime v5 or later.

To add support for APNG saving, download the "library/command line" file from this site. Then unzip it, open the "apng" folder and copy "apng.jar" to your "Paint.NET user files" folder. You should now see a new option when saving: APNG. Note that files saved with this FileType should have their extension changed to "PNG."

I tried your instructions, but I don't see the apng option. what's the exact directory in Paint.NET folder do I put it in, and what exactly do I do to get it seen and working--example: I didn't have a "Paint.NET user files" folder, so I created one, then I copied the japng.jar (it's not called apng.jar) into "Paint.NET user files" folder, and I tried other directories as well, but nothing worked. Please get back at me. Thank you for your time.

Dogma999

1.gif

I believe bliss and terror are based on a person's perspective.

Sorry, you're right - it's japng.jar. :oops:

Are you sure you were looking in Documents for the folder? If so, try deleting the folder you created and clicking the down-arrow next to the palette icon in the colours window and selecting "open palettes folder," which should create the Paint.NET User Files folder for you.

KaHuc.png

simon brown wrote

Are you sure you were looking in Documents for the folder? If so, try deleting the folder you created and clicking the down-arrow next to the palette icon in the colours window and selecting "open palettes folder," which should create the Paint.NET User Files folder for you.

I deleted the created folder as you said, but I don't know where to go to find all the options you've given me (i.e. "clicking the down-arrow next to the palette icon in the colours window and selecting "open palettes folder," which should create the Paint.NET User Files folder for you"). I may be ignorant when it comes to this, so can you take me step by step? thanks.

dogma999

1.gif

I believe bliss and terror are based on a person's perspective.

ant hep?, at all?

all i want ot really do is edit am existing Gif animation taken from a site...i download it as normal, try to rename but it doesnt change to *agif ... help?

After you downloaded the file, can you see the file extension after the file name ( something like .GIF or .gif), if not then, you have to view the file extension, then change that extension from .gif to .agif.

If you can't see the file extension tell to help you find it.

10nutqc.jpg

no ."something" Extension, just its name, and if i clock on properties just says its a gif image, i cant change it

i pretty much want this so i can put Leonidas faces all over every gif there is available :P

10nutqc.jpg

no ."something" Extension, just its name, and if i clock on properties just says its a gif image, i cant change it

i pretty much want this so i can put Leonidas faces all over every gif there is available :P

10nutqc.jpg

10nutqc.jpg

10nutqc.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Great plugin, great application. I'm having a problem reported by others and atually resolved. Just can't figure out the specifics. When I resize and animated GIF and save it, the transparent background is replaced by black. Someone posted the solution is just to change the background to white. Trouble is, I have no idea exactly what that means. I've spent about a half hour trying to figure it out myself but, so far, have not been successful.

Can someone talk me through it?