How to Install Plugins ×

Animated Image 2.4 - AGIF & APNG

Simon Brown

Moderators Note:  This plugin may not work with newer versions of Paint.NET.  An alternative plugin is available here:

https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/31629-animated-images/

Secure Download

If you get a warning, try the unencrypted download.

Here is a plugin to open and save animated GIFs/PNGs, one frame into each layer.

You will have to rename the files to .agif or .apng to be imported and rename them after saving.

[ I did this to avoid conflict with the built-in file handlers as animated GIFs have the same extension as normal GIFs. Paint.net can already open normal GIFs, so we can't use the standard GIF extension as paint.net's native handler would take preference. I used .agif instead. To get it to work you must rename .gif files to .agif before opening, and .agif files to .gif after saving.]

If the APNGs being produced aren't small enough, try running them through APNG optimizer.

IUZgi.png

Animated GIF:

pluginfade.gif

Animated PNG (works in Firefox and Opera):

pluginfade.png

You can also show APNGs in Chrome, IE9 and Safari with this.

Edited by toe_head2001
Added compatibility note
  • Upvote 3
KaHuc.png

[Edit] Does this import each frame in a different layer?
Yes
Could you put this in your first post then, as well as quick instructions on installation (if irregular to other plugins) and usage. Just to remove chance of repeated questions plaguing your topic.

Many thanks, Simon :).

Problem: I think this plugin interferes with PDNs Photoshop filetype plugin. It doesn't let it save properly, when its installed, but when i removed it the Photoshop filetype plugin worked fine. :?

Merry Christmas

.::.My Gallery.::.Make Gold Text!.::.

All my other plugins that only import files have flags for both to avoid a bug I thought was in PDN but RB said was not. In this plugin I didn't do this as I again became doubtful that it was there and didn't want to confuse people with it letting them save and then informing them that they couldn't.

Do you want me to add flags for both again?

KaHuc.png

ok, this looks really cool, but im still a newb and im not exactly sure how this should work.

can you add layers and thus add more frames in the gif? can you make your own gif? can you edit multiple layers at a time in order to add effects to the gif? or am i just dreaming and getting way ahead of myself here?

Edit: umm, is it even possible to open an animated gif and save it somewhere else as the same animated gif?

im guessing i totally over estimated the destiny of the plugin, and that it was only meant to be able to extract specific frames from gifs. which is actually pretty cool but still, i wanted to add effects to gifs :(

^ok ill look into that. still a great plugin considering that it actually lets me make use of my extensive gif collection.

Update posted :)
Nice work I will be testing it now...

random gradients...

2647_0039d6dc0cabdb940209f3425d9a0d08

"By trying to reinvent the wheel every time we find very often with square wheels" ...X-blaster

Thank you very much! Wonderful job, Simon. Excellent work.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

This has been talked about so many times, it's a wonder it took so long for someone to actually make it. Glad someone did, though.

(Getting a head start on the GE award for next year are we? ;) )

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

This has been talked about so many times, it's a wonder it took so long for someone to actually make it. Glad someone did, though.

(Getting a head start on the GE award for next year are we? ;) )

I'd say unless you release that thing you're working on with PiPLs, or possibly a Liquid Resize plugin, he's got it all sewn up. :-)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Lovely plugin. Just two issues:

It doesn't prompt me to specify the delay value for the speed of the animation.

and

It doesn't ask me if the animation should repeat.

Yea these seem like more advanced features, I don't know if sbrown will do them?

I'd say unless you release that thing you're working on with PiPLs, or possibly a Liquid Resize plugin, he's got it all sewn up. :-)

Off topic, but, if someone does liquid resize it will be one of the best plugins to have..

"By trying to reinvent the wheel every time we find very often with square wheels" ...X-blaster

I am going to second BB's suggestions, or complaints. Either or :)

Secondly, if you could possibly publish an APNG plugin that does the same thing, I would be eternally happy.

signature.png

It doesn't prompt me to specify the delay value for the speed of the animation.

and

It doesn't ask me if the animation should repeat.

I may add that into the next version, I could easily implement the latter and probably the former - I just couldn't be bothered to learn how to properly add a dialog to a FileType plugin. :oops:

KaHuc.png